1 2
bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
11/19/08 2:16 p.m.

I see that the 2002 and 3's are best, but the later models really seem to look a lot better. It looks like the fenders flare out more. Is this true, or is it just the larger tires and wheels that make them look that way?

amaff
amaff HalfDork
11/19/08 2:50 p.m.

Another +1 on the S2k having a bunch more interior and trunk space than a miata. Not really sure where that's coming from...

And I don't know that I'd want to spend a night in either one. The fact that my miata has Kirkeys probably contributes to that lol

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
11/19/08 2:58 p.m.

The later models just have a reworked front and rear facia, they didn't change the fenders. They did go to 17" rims, but I don't think they are any wider.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/19/08 3:28 p.m.

I suppose I could be wrong.....first time ever!

But to me the S2000 seemed much smaller and more claustrophobic than a Mk 1 Miata. Maybe it's just the door height in the Honda.

And I don't care how many times the starter button has been copied......it's still silly. (Unless it's on an Altima....then it's supersporty!)

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
11/19/08 4:18 p.m.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
11/19/08 6:49 p.m.

I honestly just want one so I can dump $100k under the hood and wear a black wife beater and show off my muscles.

And yea because I think it's a hell of a car. I found a 2000 around here with 88k miles, black on red, clean clean clean, for $11k. Problem is I have a Trans Am that I don't want to get rid of and just bought a Fit.

evildky
evildky Dork
11/19/08 11:41 p.m.
amaff wrote:
evildky wrote: maybe it's the utter lack or torque
Resisting... urge... to put fist... through screen.... Please tell me you've at least driven one...

nope haven't driven one yet, but I've ridden passanger in a couple, one having just won 9th at nationals in AS, and I have this strage affection for usable torque, don't get me wrong they have amazing braking and turn in but you really have to work to keep it in the powerband, it's amazing how much slower seasoned drivers now tot he lack of torque are in them, all that shifting, who has time to steer, at a local autocross a bud posted his fast run vid, I shifted once, he shifted 7 times!

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
11/20/08 8:10 a.m.

I have driven several at track events, instructed in even more and have ran TT with some really fast ones (See Rene big pic in GRM)

The Vtec is a bit of an issue in high speed corners - reminded me of driving a 930 with its turbo lag issues. Power comes on in a jerk - not good when you are at the limit of stiction when it decides to wake up. Most NSXs are the same way.

They are tight for big guys and the roll bar to make them legal on most race tracks makes it worse. Adding power to the car generally just means it spins in a more spectacular manner.

I like the car but would add the $$ to get a NSX if a Honda was my dream....

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
11/20/08 8:27 a.m.

Having driven both the NSX and the S2000 quite a bit I prefer the S. While I love the styling of the NSX the NSX feels ponderous by comparison.

If you are getting the VTEC kick out of any gear but 1st then you are short shifting or were in the wrong gear! The gear ratios are designed so that once you get up on cam you never have to come off. It's not as if you will actually be out of VTEC and have to rev back up to VTEC more than once.

If you drive the car sanely on the street you never have to get VTEC. If you drive the car properly on the track you'll never get out of VTEC.

Anyone who doesn't like the VTEC action of the S you definitely won't like the NSX. Newer models of the S don't have the pronounced VTEC kick of the older models which is sad. The VTEC kick is nice. As a comparison, to me it just feels as if the NSX is geared too high.

I don't know what kind of car you are driving that lets you shift once to an S's 7 because the S's gear band is very near what most cars are, maybe a little higher. 62 mph is the top of 2nd gear - perfect for most autocrosses. On the track I don't shift any more than I do in any other car. On long straights I could wish for a little more power, but that's the only place.

And while most smaller 2 seaters are tight for big guys the S fits better than most - definitely better than a Miata and we know that Miata is always the answer so if it works for most the S will work for more. I'm 6' and weigh too much over 200 lbs and I fit nicely. I have friends who are 6'2 and are past the 250 mark that fit well.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s30gUGkwUK2C0FzTDtWEH6LLgc7UveH6HP8NpsRX5M3UV8PiHovmFBxUBSgalQ0e