1 2 3 4 ... 7
Duke
Duke PowerDork
4/29/13 9:27 p.m.

I used to yearn for an Elise until I sat in one. Then I thought maybe I could live with one as a track toy. And then I tried to get in one with a cage... game over.

I love the look of the NSX and it will turn certain heads, but I have an unfounded feeling that the overall driving experience will be... mildly underwhelming. There's nothing like the sound and feel of an uncorked AC 911.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/29/13 9:40 p.m.

Yeah. As for which is most "liveable," 911 by a mile.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
4/29/13 10:33 p.m.
Duke wrote: I used to yearn for an Elise until I sat in one. Then I thought maybe I could live with one as a track toy. And then I tried to get in one with a cage... game over. I love the look of the NSX and it will turn certain heads, but I have an unfounded feeling that the overall driving experience will be... mildly underwhelming. There's nothing like the sound and feel of an uncorked AC 911.

Have you heard an uncorked NSX at 8,000 RPM?

Luke
Luke UberDork
4/30/13 2:17 a.m.

^Senna in NSX @ Suzuka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAwJsOECGBU

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
4/30/13 3:17 a.m.

Maybe I'm just getting old and dentist-like, but I really like the idea of a 70's-80's AC 911. I think of them more like a driving tool than an accessory; I like the 911's in the same way that I love using my Wustholf chef's knife. I would never call them particularly pretty, but they are handsome, like a schnauzer.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/30/13 6:52 a.m.

I drove an NSX and it feels like any other Honda. There it shines is when you get on it and lay it into the twisties. But for 95 percent of the time you will swear you are driving an Accord.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
4/30/13 6:55 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: I drove an NSX and it feels like any other Honda. There it shines is when you get on it and lay it into the twisties. But for 95 percent of the time you will swear you are driving an Accord.

That's kind of what I was getting at - agree.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/30/13 7:30 a.m.

Maserati Coupe or MKIV Supra TT.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/30/13 8:20 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: I drove an NSX and it feels like any other Honda. There it shines is when you get on it and lay it into the twisties. But for 95 percent of the time you will swear you are driving an Accord.

Besides the blizzard of panties that make it hard to see where you're going, that is.

peter
peter HalfDork
4/30/13 8:31 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Maserati Coupe or MKIV Supra TT.

There's a Maserati Coupe parked next to me in the garage-mahal where I get to work on my lowly Miata. I love the sound of the V8 when it wakes up, but boy does it have electrical gremlins.

You basically can't trust it to not have drained the battery overnight and stupid things like the auto-up/down windows misaligning or just plain breaking require expensive trips to the dealer. I don't think I've ever seen it with the windows properly sealed. And the security system really does a number on things. And the flappy-paddle gearbox...

But that sound... oh boy.

dean1484
4/30/13 8:34 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Besides the blizzard of panties that make it hard to see where you're going, that is.

For us married people this could be a problem. As you will end up driving the accord while your now X has the NSX

dean1484
4/30/13 8:36 a.m.

Ok how about a GTM? Can you build one for 20K? Probably not.. . . . .30 Maybe?

Duke
Duke PowerDork
4/30/13 8:37 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:

Flight Service
Flight Service UltimaDork
4/30/13 8:46 a.m.

Engine behind the driver people, too many shiny objects.

I think I would do a rather have an Ultima than a GTM, although the GTM is pretty (which stylistic intent is the point here).

This issue with most (some recent editions with standing) kit cars is the fit and finish isn't there and the transaxles are expensive and/or fragile.

911 IMHO is the bench market, but the NSX is exotic (even if the performance is now in the Mustang/Camaro range) and unique. You can get a huge performance bump for not that much money.

Finding a nice non-abused example is the biggest issue. Sounds like the NSX is a clear winner, but then there is support.

The 911 has more support than the foundation of Mt. Rushmore. Aftermarket galore and within 3 years of any new model you will have access to as much information about the care as Dr. Porsche himself.

So now it is not such a one sided argument

Flight Service
4/30/13 8:47 a.m.
dean1484 wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
For us married people this could be a problem. As you will end up driving the accord while you now X has the NSX

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Wife refuses to drive a stick, so I am safe.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
4/30/13 9:17 a.m.

I would take the NSX here by a mile, and it really is because of looks primarily..

I see 911s and think they are a cool car. Sometimes if im going the same direction as one on the road ill stay near it so i can look at it while driving (better than average scenery). But if i see something that is roughly the same shape as an NSX, my head literally spins toward it. Its like somebody shot a gun 30 feet from me the way my attention is drawn to it in the first .015 seconds. And then when i get near it on the road i marvel at how low it is and how well the looks are holding up and that it still seems exotic even though its a 20 year old honda that costs less than the average transaction price of a boring new car.

It just has way more effect on me. I would take it places just to take more/different pictures of it. I would probably print pictures of it and put them on my desk.

RIght now i have the $2012 cherokee torn out of the calendar and pinned up above my monitor so perhaps im too easily pleased.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/30/13 9:37 a.m.

picture comparison for you

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
4/30/13 9:45 a.m.

I've loved the NSX since the day it was introduced. It pushes all of the "practical-to-an-engineer" buttons a supercar could push.

However, as I've gotten older I've become more attuned to the emotional desire for this type of car, which ignores all rational thought or considerations. And for that reason, it's Ferrari or nothing.

As good as the NSX is, I just know that if I got one I'd still look longingly at every Ferrari I saw... even if I passed it broken down on the side of the road.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
4/30/13 9:48 a.m.

Listen, I love 911s. I have seriously considered a couple as daily drivers. I've drooled over dozens and dozens of them in Craigslist ads over the years. But you say "supercar," and I do not think of a 911. You say 911 and I do not think supercar.

Even a late model NSX struggles to match the performance of a modern N/A 911, but it's still way more exotic than a 911, even compared to a blinged out turbo 911. If you're looking for supercar, an NSX has it while a 911 does not.

The 911 having a back seat and being easy to get in and out of and being common as flies and so accessible and easy to support and knowledge is out there and ... those are all reasons why it's not a supercar. To be honest one of the biggest strikes against the NSX in the supercar territory is that it's so reliable and easy to drive. But those are the only strikes. (That and the Acura badge, I suppose.)

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/30/13 9:55 a.m.
Vigo wrote: I would take the NSX here by a mile, and it really is because of looks primarily.. I see 911s and think they are a cool car. Sometimes if im going the same direction as one on the road ill stay near it so i can look at it while driving (better than average scenery). But if i see something that is roughly the same shape as an NSX, my head literally spins toward it. Its like somebody shot a gun 30 feet from me the way my attention is drawn to it in the first .015 seconds. And then when i get near it on the road i marvel at how low it is and how well the looks are holding up and that it still seems exotic even though its a 20 year old honda that costs less than the average transaction price of a boring new car. It just has way more effect on me. I would take it places just to take more/different pictures of it. I would probably print pictures of it and put them on my desk. RIght now i have the $2012 cherokee torn out of the calendar and pinned up above my monitor so perhaps im too easily pleased.

I can relate. The NSX is such a distinct shape that it easily catches (and pleases) my eye. That said, no reason to choose between it and the 911. Buy one, enjoy, sell and then buy the other!

And, while on the topic of pleasing automotive shapes that have withstood the test of time, this is near the top of the list for me:

whenry
whenry HalfDork
4/30/13 9:56 a.m.

The Porsche 911 is the German Miata. Even Amazon, Rock Auto and Parts Geek have extensive sections on parts and while your average OB/GYN may not be able to maintain it, normal maintenance is easily within the ability of your average GRM reader. The only limitation seems to be the special tools that are sometimes required. I have owned my '87 for a year and havent purchased a part from the dealer.
The NSX will suffer from the usual Japanese lack of attention span to older cars and have to rely on the aftermarket for parts and service. I had the Elise for two years but eventually got tired of being a gymnast to enter or exit the car and got very scared of parts, especially body or chassis pieces, availability. Mechanically, the Elise was solid with its Toyota running gear.
Yes, you are dating a rock star with either the NSX or Elise and no one will notice you in the 911. YMMV

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/30/13 10:27 a.m.

Between those two I'd take the NSX just because I prefer the way it looks, the way it handles and the way it isn't a satire of automotive engineering...but yeah a Z06 makes more sense. It doesn't look like a supercar but the performance is closer to a supercar and it's cheaper to mod and maintain than the NSX or 911.

Flight Service
4/30/13 10:42 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: yeah a Z06 makes more sense. It doesn't look like a supercar but the performance is closer to a supercar and it's cheaper to mod and maintain than the NSX or 911.

"Driving most supercars is like trying to man-handle a cow up a back staircase. But this is like smearing honey into Keira Knightley." Jeremy Clarkson

To me that is what the NSX is. The Z06 is like smearing KY on Jenna Jameson, not the same.

Flight Service
4/30/13 10:43 a.m.
CGLockRacer wrote: picture comparison for you

quoted for beauty, maybe $50K for both is a better answer

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
4/30/13 10:52 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: "Driving most supercars is like trying to man-handle a cow up a back staircase. But this is like smearing honey into Keira Knightley." Jeremy Clarkson To me that is what the NSX is. The Z06 is like smearing KY on Jenna Jameson, not the same.

So:

versus

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qcUPCkfkJUnhL2E3fOEkGc6JDLa5lEMZwpjdLa6WTgyaIa7DZGe6hFvwR34O5hgD