1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/17 7:31 a.m.

Nice score on the one owner 914! Make a build thread for that one too, please.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
2/18/17 12:07 p.m.

I miss my 914 so much! Let's see pics and stuff!

Ross413
Ross413 Reader
2/18/17 8:39 p.m.
Cotton wrote: Thought I'd post some pics from the recent work. Old coilpack before being pulled (long black piece at bottom of valve cover): Coil out: Also, dyno graph: So I addressed all the vacuum lines I broke while removing the valve cover, then took the car out for a test drive and it's running great....better than ever. I also replaced the intercooler pump last night, which was an easy job, and found the source of my coolant leak, which turned out to be one of the main coolant hoses. I ordered it from the MB dealer because they were, shockingly, the cheapest I found at $66 and could also get it the soonest (tomorrow). Next up is coolant hose tomorrow night, then left bank plugs and vc gasket over the weekend, apply ecu tune, then hopefully opening up the exhaust a little.

Literally a pic of the worst parts of that engine... That seems to be the main issues with these cars. The suspension is an easy solution, the coils, not so much.

Those dyno numbers are wild... only 400whp but nearly 600rwt, holy crap. That motor in something small and light would be unbelievable acceleration. Cant wait to see the tunes numbers. The only real modifications for this motor/car seem to be tune, intercooler upgrade, and intake? It would be fun to see one of these in a stand alone settup all stock internals, with injector and turbo upgrades. See where the weak spots are... Looks like there is an easy 1000whp out of the motor, without the car.

Do you have the WIS for the car? I am trying to figure out the timing of the engine. It should be an even fire motor as it is a 60 degree v12, but there is info out there saying that it is an off fire motor. Kind of hard to do without an engine and some piston stops in front of me.

Thanks Ross

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/18/17 9:54 p.m.

I might need to bring that s back to florida. If you still have it this summer when I'm back home in the volunteer state i'll look you up.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
2/19/17 2:27 p.m.

In reply to Ross413:

I do have wis along with the full STAR diagnostics setup. I feel it's pretty much a requirement if you're going to dive deep into these cars.

Here is a great doc on the m275 engines: M275

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
2/19/17 3:16 p.m.

Either I am doing something horribly wrong or that link is in Chinese.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
2/19/17 3:51 p.m.
Stealthtercel wrote: Either I am doing something horribly wrong or that link is in Chinese.

It's a Chinese website, but once you start scrolling through the manual the text should be in English.

Ross413
Ross413 Reader
2/20/17 8:34 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
Stealthtercel wrote: Either I am doing something horribly wrong or that link is in Chinese.
It's a Chinese website, but once you start scrolling through the manual the text should be in English.

That has got to be the worst way to get information, ever. Thank you for that though, there is next to no real info out there about these motors... If I am reading my hieroglyphics correctly it looks like an even fire 60* v12. Good deal.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
2/20/17 9:12 p.m.

In reply to Ross413:

Yeah the engrish is pretty bad, but if you can put up with it there is some decent info.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
2/21/17 10:40 a.m.

The CL made its first trip into work this morning with no issues, so that was nice. I'm applying the tune tonight, so can't wait for the results! In the meantime here is a picture I took over the weekend:

No pictures of the 914 yet. I'm waiting for a few odds and ends to come in Auto Atlanta, then will get it out for my first real drive in it.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
2/22/17 1:20 p.m.
Cotton wrote: I'm applying the tune tonight, so can't wait for the results!

How's the jump to warp speed .

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/22/17 3:16 p.m.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
2/22/17 5:09 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote:
Cotton wrote: I'm applying the tune tonight, so can't wait for the results!
How's the jump to warp speed .

Well I ended up not having time to tune it until about an hour ago. Long story short.....It's a beast!!! VERY VERY noticeable difference. Now it pulls so hard from a dead stop the windshield washer comes on...pretty funny. Anyway, I'm very happy with the tune and currently am scheduled to go back to the dyno March 18th, so can't wait to see what numbers it puts down.

Also, I went ahead and ordered a set of drop in K&N air filters, since it needed filters anyway, and I'd like to get some exhaust work done too if I have time. Eventually I plan to do a diy cold air intake, but for now the drop ins will have to do.

Funny, but during my post tuning testing I turned over 188k miles. Is it a bad idea to start modding a v12 twin turbo 14 year old Mercedes at 188k miles? Probably, but this whole thing had bad idea written all over it from the start, so no need to try and be sensible now!

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/22/17 8:39 p.m.

Sounds amazing, but i dont understand the washer thing. Is the stalk actually getting 'pulled' back towards the steering wheel by G-force?!

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
2/22/17 8:46 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

Honestly I don't understand it either. You push the stalk in towards the column to engage the washer, so it shouldn't impact it...it's just weird. At first I thought I popped another coolant hose and water was coming out from under the hood, then I noticed it was coming from the washer nozzles. Did a couple more runs from a stop and it happened again....and now my low washer fluid warning is on.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/22/17 9:29 p.m.

In reply to Cotton:

Siphoning out the fluid from the speed, or possibly just being pushed out by the g-forces?

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
2/22/17 9:35 p.m.

In reply to petegossett:

I kind of wondered if it was being pushed out. It just happens in the first few seconds once the turbos spool. I'll try and get a video.

So far I really enjoy the CL. I've driven it to work twice this week, so next week the plan is to try and keep my foot out of it to see what kind of mileage I get while commuting.

yupididit
2/22/17 9:37 p.m.

That's just ridiculous lol

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
2/23/17 8:48 a.m.

Add a check valve to the washer lines and I bet it'll stop. If the pump allows fluid to flow through while it's not running, it's likely siphoning out.

I used to have that issue in the Jeep. Park it sideways on a hill passenger side down and it would dump most of the washer fluid out of the tank, as the tank would end up above the pass side nozzle...

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
2/23/17 9:18 a.m.

It's good this car belongs to you and not me. There's so much potential for anti social madness. I'm pretty sure any CL600 I bought would end up with mud tires and zoomies.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
2/23/17 9:21 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin:

Cool, That's a good idea, I'll try that.

Since this is now my commuter I thought I'd mention economy...or lack of . I got 16.3 mpg on my first full tank, which had quite a few WOT runs, so I'm going to try to take it easier on the next tank and see if I can hit 18 or so.

I drove it to work again this morning and the quicker throttle response with the tune is noticeable and very nice.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
2/23/17 9:30 a.m.

In reply to DaewooOfDeath:

I thought about straight piping it, but think I'll remove the four factory mufflers and go with a couple of low restriction Borlas. I'm also thinking about a set of aftermarket downpipes.

Ross413
Ross413 Reader
2/23/17 9:30 a.m.

Sounds like the tune is great. Can't wait to see the dyno results!! They seem to sound good without too much drone or loudness with exhaust work.

Thanks Ross

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
2/23/17 9:51 a.m.

I have to say, I prefer the cl600 over the s600. However that's not the case with everyone in our household. Buttons tells me the heated rear seat in the s600 is very comfy.

yupididit
2/23/17 10:43 p.m.

That cl600 needs some polished or black Alphards

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Iu5zGD4OO8pV7Lo8hNyw9gLPJosCaV6xMhdQrnnL7Zmqk5OUKuckbyCE9NXVvkbM