1 2
EdHigginbotham
EdHigginbotham Editorial Assistant
11/3/14 9:00 a.m.

So I shared this video in a thread before, but it may have been missed by some eyes. Thought it deserves its own thread. Share with your friends and get them to the Challenge next year.

Video is of aussiemg's "more controlled run" in the $2014 Challenge. Wish we had stuck a camera on the car for the first one, but this makes for good entertainment either way.

Scary drag run.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
11/3/14 9:06 a.m.

Nice. Needs more sticky.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
11/3/14 9:15 a.m.

The left rear corner seems really eager to become the right front corner, really eager.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
11/3/14 9:25 a.m.

Ah, the fun of big engines in small cars, reminds me of watching altereds run. Looks like a fun ride with a bit of a pucker factor.

As I am contemplating what to do with my 75 MGB, videos like this don't help. Especially since I am thinking of doing some sort of engine swap.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
11/3/14 9:28 a.m.

In reply to EdHigginbotham:

It's the last run that I would have wanted to see. One where the term "tank slapper" would be pretty much what appeared to happen.

Last run of the night, that rear end sure looked like it made contact with the wall- from David's streaming video.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
11/3/14 9:53 a.m.

Rear swaybar time!

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
11/3/14 11:04 a.m.

And to think some people believe drag racing is boring

golfduke
golfduke Reader
11/3/14 12:13 p.m.

That looked terrifying.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
11/3/14 12:38 p.m.

I'd run it.....can't be much more sketchy than the raptor.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
11/3/14 2:14 p.m.

Man, that looked spooky! Can I drive it next year?

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
11/3/14 2:40 p.m.

The "Pucker Factor" of this car is astronomical, for both drivers and spectators.

When I spotted it in the hotel parking lot with a giant nitrous bottle riding shotgun, I knew the thing meant business. Then I realized that it was one of Andy's former builds with some Aussie insanity sprinkled on top in the form of an even more insane SBC bolted in there than it had before. The exhaust note is obnoxiously percussive and cannon-like. I admittedly jumped when they fired it up for the first time.

I watched in horror and awe from the grandstands as it violated its way down the track that first run, picking up a wheel HARD off the line. Scary.

After that run, I ran down to the staging lanes to talk to Steve (Aussie). He told me he kinked that aluminum seat bottom on that launch.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
11/3/14 3:53 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

First thing I'd be doing when I got home would be machining a solid strut for the pass side rear suspension.....the rest can be chassis twist.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
11/3/14 4:21 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to EdHigginbotham: It's the last run that I would have wanted to see. One where the term "tank slapper" would be pretty much what appeared to happen. Last run of the night, that rear end sure looked like it made contact with the wall- from David's streaming video.

The most incredible thing to me on that run was how badly the driver wanted full throttle. When it got loose he lifted......slightly, then as soon as it was aimed sorta at the end of the track FULL THROTTLE (which of course triggered the big nitrous shot and started the fun all over). I swear the second half of the run was all done less than a foot from the wall with the tires spinning most of the time.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/4/14 6:17 a.m.

There was no chassis twist at all, Andy builds an amazing chassis, it was all suspension movement caused by our lack of set up experience.

1. Panhard was not leveled when the suspension was raised for the taller drag tires, our bad.

2. Chassis was corner weighed at concourse, it was 200lb heavier right front to left rear, on a 2224lb car that is a lot.

3. Needs an adjustable rear sway bar. (Tuna nailed that)

The first 2 trips we put on the softer fornt springs and removed the front sway bar, if was like a jet boat at walking pace through a shipping wake, it wallowed at the front so bady. Reinstalling the autocross set up helped control it, this run was the first with the autocross suspension reinstalled.

I was too busy to be really worried, apparently those watching were a "little" concerned.

Hoping to improve our times in $2015, come see the MGB be a brute on the strip.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
11/4/14 6:47 a.m.

What was the ET on that run?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
11/4/14 8:08 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: What was the ET on that run?

Yes, please! ET!

EdHigginbotham
EdHigginbotham Editorial Assistant
11/4/14 8:19 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: There was no chassis twist at all, Andy builds an amazing chassis, it was all suspension movement

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
11/4/14 8:47 a.m.

IIRC , Steve's first pass was a 12.85 without the nitrous.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
11/4/14 10:05 a.m.
EdHigginbotham wrote:
aussiesmg wrote: There was no chassis twist at all, Andy builds an amazing chassis, it was all suspension movement

That car is a fraction of a second away from launching a triple Salchow off right-rear tire and slamming the car to the ground upside down.

But yeah...I agree, no twist. Huge cojones.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
11/4/14 11:40 a.m.

Lots of torque wedge that needs fixed.

Which could be fixed with suspension as far as I've read.

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
11/4/14 2:08 p.m.

Gnarly. About how much power do you suppose it's putting down Steve?

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
11/4/14 2:16 p.m.

Look at the right front in that picture!

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
11/4/14 2:17 p.m.

In reply to 2002maniac:

Not quite as much as it's making.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/4/14 2:44 p.m.

Best time was 11.242

HP is guestimated at 500+, then a 150 shot which was not used of the fastest ET

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/4/14 2:48 p.m.

What I am noticing in this pic is the panhard bar is parallel to the chassis, not what we needed in this situation

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sjXf0Ets9eR4LJZhbDHAqahD6Z4km60TVPbVJmFKmkqrOXMR8CCSjniQ3whTS529