Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
11/16/14 4:27 p.m.

Selling both of my nice, safe, reliable, mostly completed and perfectly nice cars for two or ten projects. This is one of them, and they are both spoken for so don't ask unless your offer has five figures.

1999 Volvo V70 with 172xxx miles. High pressure T5 with 5 speed and no sunroof. R grille, bumper, and spoiler. R turbo, EuroSport Tuning turbo-back exhaust, intake, chip. Adjustable Konis, urethane upper engine mount, braided stainless brake lines, IPD springs and sways. T-belt was done at @125k, just replaced the heater core and PCV system, no rust. Freshening the brakes and replacing rear calipers (sticking) before sale.

It's basically sold to an ex-GF for less than I paid. I paid too much, but I made payments and it was on the seller's insurance for almost two years(long story) so I'd roughly be selling it for what I have in it. Just want to make sure I'm not gouging a friend or taking a bath too badly.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/16/14 4:35 p.m.

Excellent KBB value is $3500 NADA is $3700 That is for a 99 T5

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
11/16/14 5:01 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: Excellent KBB value is $3500 NADA is $3700 That is for a 99 T5

With no mods or service history. Therein lies the problem. I'd list it as "very good", plus it has a lot done to it and complete records (back to @90k at least).

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/14 5:05 p.m.

Mods typically do not increase the value of a used vehicle...

MrChaos
11/16/14 5:14 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Mods typically do not increase the value of a used vehicle...

alot of the time they drop the price.

bgkast
11/16/14 5:17 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos:

I was trying to be diplomatic.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
11/16/14 5:29 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Mods typically do not increase the value of a used vehicle...

Unless you find a sucker that wants those EXACT mods. Rare.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
11/16/14 5:59 p.m.

Mods are occasionally worth something if you're selling to a friend, but in that case you're really just pushing the depreciation of the parts from you to them. When they go to sell it they'll be in the same spot.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/14 6:15 p.m.

There are very few situations in which I would consider any modification from stock to do anything but decrease value vs. an unmodified car. In fact, I usually skip fight over ads for modified cars. The only exception would be if I were looking for an actual race car that was already set up to and run in a specific series, not a street car or autocrosser.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
11/16/14 6:33 p.m.

I wouldn't consider modifications in and of themselves valuable, but I think it's fair to value them as if they were OEM parts. i.e., If you replaced your OEM brakes with upgraded aftermarket units, obviously you can't price it for the more expensive brakes, but acting like the brakes have never been replaced is foolish.

bgkast
11/16/14 6:36 p.m.

I think the idea is that a modified car has probably been ridden harder than a stock example, and therefore the price is lower.

MrChaos
11/16/14 6:41 p.m.

Certain mods on 4x4's are an exception for me. Like a properly done SAS.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
11/16/14 6:42 p.m.
bgkast wrote: I think the idea is that a modified car has probably been ridden harder than a stock example, and therefore the price is lower.

i look at it more like not knowing if the guy knew what he was doing when he put the stuff on the car..

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
11/16/14 7:01 p.m.

I look at most (tasteful/beneficial) mods especially if they're true upgrades like quality rotors, brand-name struts etc. as tools to increase the speed and/or likelihood of a sale rather than increasing the sale price.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
11/16/14 7:06 p.m.

I see what you're saying on the mods.

I think it also depends on the car. Modded WRX, run away. Modded GTO, not so bad. It also depends on the audience. Craigslist is hit or miss, while a marque specific forum (Swedespeed, BMWCCA) with all of the most common/sought after mods done might be a different story.

Keep it coming.

nokincy
nokincy New Reader
11/16/14 7:55 p.m.

We need pictures! In my area I say ~3,500-4,500 if no major cosmetic issues.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/16/14 8:22 p.m.

$4k is P2 V70 T5M territory now. I DD a '97 855R in similar shape and believe it to have a $2500-3000 market value. Judging by what I see nicer, lower mile P80 T5Ms trading hands for, I think $3500 would be a good starting point. Sadly these cars are just not THAT sought after.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
11/16/14 8:27 p.m.

I'll get more pics next weekend. Here it is last year at the Oktoberfest show.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
11/16/14 9:05 p.m.

On the high end. It should also be noted the previous owner was a friend of us both that passed away. So she knows the history. It wouldn't matter to anyone else for value but does to us. I feel better "keeping it in the family" as it were. The only reason I'm selling is that this and my other car are more or less "done" except for maintenance items and I'm getting the itch for something different.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
11/17/14 1:39 p.m.

I'll be sort of sad to see it go. It was fun to drive.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kuCxMNqY9rnlbvHVGvDDc6Y9tUqz7CAl6ZsL9iw4uf1IenvOQFzz3SOcY226oRbN