1 2 3
mrhappy
mrhappy HalfDork
1/1/18 6:28 p.m.

It painted with montana gold spray paint in blood orange.

I still occasionally miss that car. Haha

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/1/18 6:28 p.m.

If posted on CL or vortex for $4200 you'd get offers of $2800-3400. Too bad SRS isn't still around.  IF you decide to keep it, you should toss a 9A head onto it, ITBS and a lysolm. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/1/18 8:25 p.m.

The low ballers are coming out of the woodwork looking for a smoking deal.  

Oh wait, I’m one of those dreaded low ballers.  Sorry, I’m part bohemian - it’s my nature.  

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/1/18 8:43 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to vwcorvette :

I disagree. 

Since I haven't actually offered it for sale, establishing fair market value is just part of doing my due diligence. 

There isn't any reason for me to assume the value is $1000, just because that's the first offer some cheapazz made on a car that isn't even on the market. 

Hey,  I don't disagree with you.  It is "probably" worth more. But right now no one is willing to buy it beyond the cheapazz low baller. So that's it's current value. Between Vortex,  BaT,  Craigslist,  and other sites you should be able to establish a fair asking price. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/1/18 9:31 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette :

That's not its current value. That's the current offer. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
1/2/18 6:25 a.m.

They are the same until you get another offer.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
1/2/18 7:29 a.m.

I was assuming, when he asked us what is was worth, he was asking how much we, or a real buyer, would pay. I gave him what I'd pay. And, I was realistic. I also think many here represent a target audience

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/2/18 11:21 a.m.
Suprf1y said:

I'll give you $1 for your car. There, now you have a car worth a dollar. 

That's ridiculous. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/2/18 11:21 a.m.

In reply to markwemple :

Yes Mark, you are correct. I appreciate your help (and others). 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
1/2/18 11:53 a.m.

No worries.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
1/3/18 11:08 a.m.
SVreX said:
Suprf1y said:

I'll give you $1 for your car. There, now you have a car worth a dollar. 

That's ridiculous. 

What's ridiculous is you presenting a scenario so ludicrous as to create a straw man because you think I said your car was only worth $1000, when what I really said was the market will decide what it was worth, and you didn't like that.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/3/18 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Suprf1y :

It's not a straw man argument. It is the EXACT scenario you proposed. 

My car is not on the market. Neither is yours. Someone made an unsolicited offer that was too low- just like yours. I refused it- just like you. 

I asked about valuation. It's a reasonable question, from a representative target audience. 

You are not being helpful. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
1/3/18 11:26 a.m.
SVreX said:

I was gonna dust it off and start racing it again, but the truth is I have too many cars and need to get rid of a couple. A friend is interested in buying it. 

Anyone wanna take a guess at the value of a car like that?  Range?

Thanks!

Your car is on the market, you just didn't like the offer.

You are not being truthful to yourself. You already have the number, you just came here for confirmation of that number and don't like some of the responses.

FYI: Debaters invoke a straw man when they put forth an argument—usually something extreme or easy to argue againstthat they know their opponent doesn't support. You put forth a straw man because you know it will be easy for you to knock down or discredit. It's a way of misrepresenting your opponent's position.

Tell me again how you didn't do that.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/3/18 11:36 a.m.

In reply to Suprf1y :

My car is not on the market. I received a cold call from someone asking whether I would consider selling. 

You don't know the meaning of value. You are mistaken.  Nothing about your statement is correct by ANY definition of value or valuation. 

Is there a reason you feel the need to post here at all?  Because you are not being helpful.  You are just arguing, and have not made any effort at all to answer the thread's title question. 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
1/3/18 11:40 a.m.

Sorry, Suprfly, I'm 100% with SVreX on this. In fact, I look at you comments as being 100% inflamatory. Further, you are intentionally stirring the pot to somehow prove a point that will never get proven. He asked a simple question. You turned that into an argument. It is at this point, my wife would say, just ignore them. So SVreX, just ignore him, he's trolling.

I think the concensus is 2-3 with a leaning towards the 2-2.5 range.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/3/18 11:49 a.m.

Remember there is a huge gap between someone saying "I think it's worth x" and someone giving you 'x' in cash.  If _you_ were going to hand over real cash, what do you think you would pay?  I'm thinking $2k is right.  Paint's not cheap, and it's either a race only car or the extra expense of refitting enough to turn it into a streetable car.  $2k + paint + whatever else = some amount, and this is where it gets dangerous - what else could you buy for that final amount?  That's why I think anything over $2k you'll be hard pressed to have someone actually buy it instead of theorizing on the value.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
1/3/18 11:52 a.m.

In reply to markwemple :

I'm not trolling at all. He asked for advice and I gave it with no ill intention.

He's the one that is trolling with his 'scenario' and in my response I tried to point that out.  He then did it again.

I have zero interest in an argument on this board. There are regulars  who do (anybody in this thread?) and in 16 years here that's never been me. In fact I lobbied for ten years to get religion and politics off this forum because of all the bickering and fighting and eventually why I stopped coming here. 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
1/3/18 1:32 p.m.

If you knew anything about SVreX, you'd never say he was trolling.....

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
1/3/18 1:33 p.m.

If I were in the market, in other words not overwhelmed by projects, I'd give 2k easy. I'd love this GTI.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/3/18 1:42 p.m.

I'm also a fan of Mk1 Vee Dubs.  I actually have a 2.0 liter ABA sitting on a stand at home, and a very nicely worked 1.8 liter head that is waiting to go into something.   I'm tempted, as I really do love these simple little things, but I'm kind of holding out for a Mk1 Scirocco.

Although I'd consider trading a 79 Pacer Wagon for this GTI.   You'd look great in it, and you couldn't find a more ridiculous choice for a Challenge car!   

So sexy.....so sleek!  

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/3/18 1:58 p.m.
Joe Gearin said:

So sexy.....so sleek!  

So hilarious!

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
1/3/18 2:08 p.m.

In reply to Suprf1y :

You may or may not be trolling, but you're definitely wrong and not helping answer the question asked. I've been given all sorts of ridiculous unsolicited offers on all sorts of things before and that in no way sets what the item is worth. If he had the car listed for a few weeks on a few venues and $1000 was the highest offer he'd received, you might have the beginnings of a "market value." But one unsolicited lowball offer does not set the market value. I think you know that's true and are just trying to make a thin point stand. If you don't want to argue then let it drop. Otherwise, yes, it is you that seems to be hunting for an argument.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
1/3/18 2:13 p.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to Suprf1y :

You may or may not be trolling, but you're definitely wrong and not helping answer the question asked.

Just to set the record straight  I answered the question on page one.

Suprf1y said:

The value in a rust free GTi is as a clean street car, but it sounds like it needs a lot of work to become that car. So with the missing interior pieces, faded respray in the wrong colour it's a track or hardcore street car. If I were looking at it I would think in the $1500-$2k (max) range as is.

And I think you guys misinterpret what I'm trying to say, and that is that the market will decide what it is worth, in that each new offer will set the bar. Nothing more, nothing less.

I prefaced my response with "If I were looking at it I would think ..." Instead of it's worth $XXX for a reason.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
1/3/18 2:13 p.m.
SVreX said:

I've got a 1984 Rabbit GTI with a motor swap- 2.0L ABA with a 16 valve head. It's got a lot more power than any Rabbit deserves to have- loads of fun. 

Curious, what pistons are you running?  My recollection is that running a complete ABA bottom end with a 16V head drops compression to like 8:1 which is great for big turbo setups, but not exactly "more power than any rabbit deserves" by itself.  

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/3/18 2:23 p.m.
SVreX said:
Joe Gearin said:

So sexy.....so sleek!  

So hilarious!

you know you want it!  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3Su0h9WPpPqn23zxCniPawcTTJ9wibRxMC3eKIJMU7GxYIzb11eodvVLvlPcwAdQ