1 2 3
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/3/18 3:19 p.m.
xflowgolf said:
SVreX said:

I've got a 1984 Rabbit GTI with a motor swap- 2.0L ABA with a 16 valve head. It's got a lot more power than any Rabbit deserves to have- loads of fun. 

Curious, what pistons are you running?  My recollection is that running a complete ABA bottom end with a 16V head drops compression to like 8:1 which is great for big turbo setups, but not exactly "more power than any rabbit deserves" by itself.  

Ok, I have no factual answers for you. I didn't build the engine, and the car has never been on a dyno. 

Interpret "More power than any Rabbit deserves" as a solid endorsement that the damn thing is fun, and the actual quote from Per Schroeder (the guy who literally wrote the book on Volkswagen Sport Tuning: For Street and Competition Engineering and Performance)  was "Its got plenty of power". 

The only factual measurement was done by my Butt-O-Meter. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
1/3/18 4:54 p.m.
SVreX said:

The only factual measurement was done by my Butt-O-Meter. 

And we all know that that's worth...

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/3/18 5:02 p.m.

In reply to Suprf1y :

I have no idea how to take anything you say anymore. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/3/18 6:05 p.m.

Because the butt dyno is subjective, not a factual (objective) measurement?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/3/18 6:38 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I completely understand that. 

But since I made no hp claims, nor 1/4 mile claims, I see no reason why my assessment of the car's power should be discounted. The only thing I said was the car is fast and fun. 

Since we ALL probably own cars that have never been to a dyno and we have no idea what pistons they have, I think my assessment is as good as anyone's. The only difference is that I had a Pro driver drive it who is very familiar with the platform who agreed with my assessment. 

Since when do any of us have to prove our opinions with an objective measurement of power?

I got my answer days ago, and I appreciate those who helped me. 

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/3/18 8:31 p.m.
Joe Gearin said:

I'm also a fan of Mk1 Vee Dubs.  I actually have a 2.0 liter ABA sitting on a stand at home, and a very nicely worked 1.8 liter head that is waiting to go into something.   I'm tempted, as I really do love these simple little things, but I'm kind of holding out for a Mk1 Scirocco.

Although I'd consider trading a 79 Pacer Wagon for this GTI.   You'd look great in it, and you couldn't find a more ridiculous choice for a Challenge car!   

So sexy.....so sleek!  

Wheres the build thread for this!?!yes

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/4/18 9:22 a.m.
logdog said:
Joe Gearin said:

I'm also a fan of Mk1 Vee Dubs.  I actually have a 2.0 liter ABA sitting on a stand at home, and a very nicely worked 1.8 liter head that is waiting to go into something.   I'm tempted, as I really do love these simple little things, but I'm kind of holding out for a Mk1 Scirocco.

Although I'd consider trading a 79 Pacer Wagon for this GTI.   You'd look great in it, and you couldn't find a more ridiculous choice for a Challenge car!   

So sexy.....so sleek!  

Wheres the build thread for this!?!yes

Too many projects currently ongoing for me to take this on.  I'm looking for a good home to pass it along to.  Are you that home?   PM me! 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/1/18 3:57 p.m.

Wife says I would look good in a 1st gen GTI with plaid Reccaro's...    Let me guess you sold it?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/1/18 4:21 p.m.
Suprf1y said:
dculberson said:

In reply to Suprf1y :

You may or may not be trolling, but you're definitely wrong and not helping answer the question asked.

Just to set the record straight  I answered the question on page one.

Suprf1y said:

The value in a rust free GTi is as a clean street car, but it sounds like it needs a lot of work to become that car. So with the missing interior pieces, faded respray in the wrong colour it's a track or hardcore street car. If I were looking at it I would think in the $1500-$2k (max) range as is.

And I think you guys misinterpret what I'm trying to say, and that is that the market will decide what it is worth, in that each new offer will set the bar. Nothing more, nothing less.

I prefaced my response with "If I were looking at it I would think ..." Instead of it's worth $XXX for a reason.

So, if everyone seems to agree that something around $2k is a fair price, what exactly are trying to argue about?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/1/18 4:24 p.m.

If I saw that car locally for $1k, I'd buy it. For $2k I would be interested if it had more of the interior. 

Since a lot of VW peeps have multiple cars, if you find the right person, the lack of an interior may not matter too much or to someone who wants it to race it. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/1/18 5:27 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Wife says I would look good in a 1st gen GTI with plaid Reccaro's...    Let me guess you sold it?

No, I didn't sell it. 

The car is now in SC. I took it there intending to start flogging it just for fun, until I finish my V8 Miata. Then I would sell it. 

However, I just bought another fun car (turbo NB), so I will soon be putting the GTI up for sale, along with a very nice package of spares. 

Feel free to PM me  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pPqzvnI0xScMjvscT8FNYHoqTTpD30ztTIuGuW2EF4Js7r4j1ITuuQDTmrdMYPeI