Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
10/10/18 11:23 a.m.
feature_image

We are bringing Valve Cover Racing to the $2018 Challenge this year. To register, simply show up with your car ready-to-race during the car show on Saturday.

Rules:

1. Maximum wheelbase shall be 24 inches (measured from center to center).
  2. Maximum track shall be 12 inches (measured from the outermost part of the wheel and should not include the hubcap or …

Read the rest of the story

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
10/10/18 9:09 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I know this isn't the right place but I cant find the right thread.  Host hotel for the Challenge?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/10/18 9:13 p.m.
Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
10/10/18 9:27 p.m.

Thank you

Stampie
10/10/18 10:11 p.m.

No problem. Glad to see you in a few hours. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
10/10/18 10:14 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Haha, we shall see.  I'm just now doing my budget and build book, have no place to stay yet, have not packed, and need to bring 4 race wheels and tires in a Miata.

Stampie
10/10/18 10:24 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Sounds like my first year.

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
10/15/18 10:47 a.m.

We have a $2018 VCR winner.  He has a pretty sweet trophy.  (That's not a design on his shirt, it's the trophy).  I held the car because they can be pretty berking heavy.  

The final round came down to a pair of Twin boys duking it out.  I assume the dominance of the twins has now been sorted for Life.    :)    The winner did pilot the same VCR that won last year, so sometimes car selection can be a factor.  

My thanks to Nancy and Miles for getting the ramp to the site, etc., etc..    Oh, and I would be remiss if I did not thank the catchers and people who took the slow motion videos to determine close races.  Yes, they were that close.  

Photo credit - FastDan Sheilds

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/15/18 6:12 p.m.

We can thank Spin_out (Mark) for building an impressive group of valve cover racers, and then recruiting the kids to race them.  Possibly the most memorable part of the weekend for some of our future Challenger competitors!

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
10/17/18 10:18 a.m.

I do want to thank all that brought VCRs.  Some lent them out to Challenge kids.  Some had the guts to run against kids.  (I admire you the most.)

Oh, and for future builders...... Don't build your wheels out of Metal Cut off wheels.  They will cut up the pavement then snap in half.    (Oh, I mean they might theoretically cut up the pavement, because that certainly did not happen this year.  ;)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IrEu8g2ijgyxsW43s9kTh43xaCtQWzZNfnMUZSA2XO9e76QId8Nhrr9OopuV464k