1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
thummmper
thummmper Reader
6/28/11 12:48 a.m.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
7/5/11 10:27 a.m.

so my machinist is all backed up-- the tank wont be welded for another week--he was drilling my jag calipers for the hydro fitting relocations and mounting. I am driving around with this stuff on the cargo floor of my 90 vanagon subie. july 10 sunday I go get my lugs at the long beach swapmeet vets stadium. he will install those too. I am having him make adapters for the rear beamer lugs because I need spacers for the ronal wheels anyway- I can get away with 6061 aluminum .75" thick. it'll be cool

thummmper
thummmper Reader
7/13/11 7:32 p.m.

stainless braided atf cooler and fuel lines are in the cooler just fit

Vigo
Vigo Dork
7/14/11 1:28 a.m.

Seeing those stock downpipes brings back horrible memories.. I hated those things on my intrepid but never got around to replacing them. Im pretty sure they were costing me ~20hp at high rpm.

And for the people who havent seen them, the worst part is out of view on the pic. They collapse down to ~1.5" or so.

Based on the weight and acceleration of the intrepid i had, i think this thing may surprise you with how quick it will be. I did a few things to mine and was able to harass a lot of older mustangs, along with stomping most other fwd family cars. The drag on the van will be much worse but 0-60 should be relatively unaffected by that.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
7/18/11 2:34 a.m.

I got the chrysler brake/speed control switch in today

I just want to use that lockup converter on the highway. I am mopping up little structural details in final prep for the wiring symposium. well splash shields, intake ducting, heater hoses, harnass hangers and the tcm bracket rework [it is too close to the battery] I have so much stuff in limbo that I am discouraged, like a dog when its owner goes to work for the day, except that it's been a year now. little results keep me going, and there just arent any lately. I just dont want any distractions when I turn to the wiring. I want everything else done or waiting on wiring.

I am interested in the tweaking you did to yours--I have heard about larger throttle bodies, but performance upgrades for this engine are hard to find out there. at least in my type of application.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
7/18/11 1:01 p.m.

As far as acceleration is concerned.. i had dual 52mm tb (stock is ~46?), dual cowl induction intake, dual exhaust with flowmaster 40s (stock downpipes, no main cat, 2 or 2.25" pipes to the mufflers), '2.7 gears', 3300 stall converter, and slightly shorter tires.

So basically i had a decently upgraded intake side, a half-ass upgraded exhaust side, and the rest of it was torque converter and gearing. All told, a huge difference, though.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
7/18/11 5:57 p.m.

Very, very impressive, clean fabricating work!

thummmper
thummmper Reader
7/27/11 12:53 p.m.

the starter pigtail got mallory pyro sleeving and the shifter cable too. my ambient temp sensor is finally in and the heater hose adaptation is almost done [3/4 to 5/8]- I replaced the first choice cooler above with this one from empi with the fittings already on it- apparently, when you try to tig fittings onto a soldered component, it falls apart- 72 pass cooler is better anyway.

I have continued my ident catalogueing of the wires so I can start morphing them together. it gets even more boring now--

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
7/28/11 7:58 p.m.

This is an amazing build, love to see the progress.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
7/28/11 11:10 p.m.

I am building a stainless heater hose pipe around the engine to replace the stock one and route it around the bell housing instead of over it. But I got a dog today!! she is a beauty--30 lbs english cocker spaniel, similar to my avatar. her name is halley, 3 yo. great teeth and nice clear eyes. friendly and playful and gentle. gorgeous! I am stoked! I havent had a dog in ten years.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
8/1/11 4:02 p.m.

my hossfeld bender came in handy-- even though i have no concrete floor I played hell threading ss wire through my mig-- I had to take the gun apart and the wires were pulling out of the trigger. nobody has narrow spade connectors, so i had to recycle and solder them with shrink tubing-- an extra half day. stuff now the heater hoses are finished

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/1/11 4:15 p.m.

Sweet work. I really admire the creativity going into this build!

Nice dog too!

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
8/2/11 9:53 a.m.

Your dog looks so sweet. Spaniels are really nice dogs.

The work on that heater hose pipe is great! Really impressive.

Hemon
Hemon
8/4/11 9:13 p.m.

Excellent skills you've got there :)

thummmper
thummmper Reader
8/11/11 11:55 a.m.

thanks everyone!! I"m about to learn how to parkerize the inside of my fuel tank, like the firearm industry does. I figured I'd have to do something in there. Locating 1/2 fuel hose for the filler vent is lengthy. napa stocks it but is out now- next week- soI guess I'll treat the innerds of the tank [overnight process with diluted phosphoric acid]. I am gathering all the tools and seals together to finally replace all 3 forward shaft seals on the engine. A chrysler line mech told me how to do it yesterday.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
8/13/11 10:30 a.m.

fuel tank needs parkerizing inside, so i will do that overnight with water and a quart of phosphoric acid as soon as it arrives. it will passivate the welds from rust, similar to what is done with firearms.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
8/13/11 2:51 p.m.

Homegrown parkerizing? Brilliant!

thummmper
thummmper Reader
8/13/11 9:25 p.m.

I have a quart of 85% phosphoric acid coming and it will need dilution with water in the tank. all of it goes in and stays for 24 to 48 hours- the heated industrial version takes 7 minutes. it can be neutralized with baking soda in the end and rendered harmless for disposal.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/13/11 11:53 p.m.
thummmper wrote: I have a quart of 85% phosphoric acid coming and it will need dilution with water in the tank. all of it goes in and stays for 24 to 48 hours- the heated industrial version takes 7 minutes. it can be neutralized with baking soda in the end and rendered harmless for disposal.

remember, add acid to water, not the other way around.

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
8/14/11 12:05 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

right, I was taught to think A&W rootbeer: acid to water

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
8/15/11 8:49 a.m.

I was taught:

Do what you gotta, Add acid to watta!

thummmper
thummmper Reader
8/15/11 10:47 a.m.

I know caustic soda will explode when water is added to it--the process requires that I pour the quart in first, slosh around and then dilute until full and leave for 1 to 2 days.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/11 11:07 a.m.
thummmper wrote: I know caustic soda will explode when water is added to it--the process requires that I pour the quart in first, slosh around and then dilute until full and leave for 1 to 2 days.

as long as it's a known process, i guess i'd go along with it. i'm very interested to see how this (and the rest of the van) turns out!

thummmper
thummmper Reader
8/20/11 12:32 p.m.

she didnt blow--this is right after I topped it up--and within 2 minutes there were bubbles coming up. and the wheels look and fit well

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
8/20/11 8:51 p.m.

Keep up the great work.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8vGg6IuikoMdf6JFgbjBuu3OjPy7219BXjECk8l8ZuVeqgf716miAdTkKjqYTuTq