1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/13/20 4:27 p.m.
feature_image

Earlier today, Hyundai teased on Instagram that they will be adding their eight-speed, dual-clutch transmission as an option for the 2020 Veloster. As of yet, we haven’t heard when availability will start. 

We reviewed the 2019 Veloster N not too long ago. The short story? We loved it. If you want the long story, we went in-depth with a Veloster over on …

Read the rest of the story

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/13/20 4:40 p.m.

I think it is a good idea, It makes it and the DSG in the GTI/R the only hot hatches with autos. The fiST/FoST are dead, so is the FoRS, the 500 abarth is dead, the only sporty hatch honda sells is the Type R, Subaru doesnt have a sporty hatch.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/13/20 4:42 p.m.

Always nice to see development on a car aimed right at our people. 

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/13/20 4:46 p.m.

Sweet. Now I want one even more.

MrChaos
4/13/20 4:53 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

I am averaging an indicated 27 mpg over 8500 miles according to mine.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/13/20 5:24 p.m.
MrChaos said:
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

I am averaging an indicated 27 mpg over 8500 miles according to mine.

I'd stab someone with a plastic spork to get the v6 tib to get that good of fuel economy. And I'm doing it with almost half the power!

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
4/13/20 6:38 p.m.

This is relevant to my interests!  I bought mine four days ago.  I think a dual-clutch setup will be a good addition, but I can't imagine having anything but the manual. 

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/13/20 6:50 p.m.

In reply to bluescooby :

That’s nice. I love the blue

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
4/13/20 6:58 p.m.

I had one for a week-long review last year and it was SO. DAMN. GOOD. Of the ~20 cars I got to experience, it and the ND2 Miata were tops. Forget the fact that it's FWD, the differential can put the power down with ease. It drives extremely well, sounds great, will give you a big ol' exhaust crack if you run 1st gear out to redline before shifting, and looks funky in a good sort of way.

More of my thoughts on YouTube and my website.

The DCT will make this car accessible to SO many people who can't or won't buy a manual transmission for whatever reason. I love a good DCT but the manual was a really good one with an easy clutch, so I'd probably still pick the three-pedal car if buying. Glad to see Hyundai working to keep cars like these around, and frankly, much of what they're putting out right now is just phenomenal. I had a Palisade Limited last month that was very impressive.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/20 7:17 p.m.
Colin Wood said:Earlier today, Hyundai teased on Instagram that they will be adding their eight-speed, dual-clutch transmission as an option for the 2020 Veloster N

I am suddenly interested in further developments.

MrChaos
4/13/20 7:32 p.m.

I would like an orange color. or a color scheme like the rally cars. or an i20 N

I read their Instagram handle as "Hyundai_n_word.". Oops. 

Sweet that they're putting a DSG in it. Does that make it the most affordable car with one?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/20 9:11 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) :

Dunno.  Can you still get an Accord with the twin clutch trans?

That one drives so well I didn't realize it was twin clutch until I was looking up specs on it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/13/20 9:58 p.m.

Cool.  I hope its reliable.

Veloster forums are filled with complaints about the DCT in the 1.6 Turbo.  Also there was a class action lawsuit over that one.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/14/20 7:58 a.m.

In reply to bluescooby :

It does look so good in the hero color. Congratulations. 

_
_ Dork
4/14/20 10:12 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Veloster forums are filled with complaints about the DCT in the 1.6 Turbo.  Also there was a class action lawsuit over that one.

That's supposedly been addressed. Supposedly. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
4/14/20 10:31 a.m.
_ said:
ProDarwin said:

That's supposedly been addressed. Supposedly. 

Is it a different transmission than the one in the 1.6T? 

Also I see it as only boosting their sales as it opens the car to a broader market of people who don't know how to operate that third pedal. Or those that want a fun commuter that's easier to drive in traffic.  I still want to trade my Si in on one but I need to trim my fleet

OldGray320i (Forum Supporter)
OldGray320i (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/14/20 11:27 a.m.
Brake_L8 said:

I had one for a week-long review last year and it was SO. DAMN. GOOD. Of the ~20 cars I got to experience, it and the ND2 Miata were tops. Forget the fact that it's FWD, the differential can put the power down with ease. It drives extremely well, sounds great, will give you a big ol' exhaust crack if you run 1st gear out to redline before shifting, and looks funky in a good sort of way.

More of my thoughts on YouTube and my website.

The DCT will make this car accessible to SO many people who can't or won't buy a manual transmission for whatever reason. I love a good DCT but the manual was a really good one with an easy clutch, so I'd probably still pick the three-pedal car if buying. Glad to see Hyundai working to keep cars like these around, and frankly, much of what they're putting out right now is just phenomenal. I had a Palisade Limited last month that was very impressive.

Dude, that's seriously high praise for a car. 

I'm thinking about something new soon (probably not before the madness here ends), and it was going to be an ND or an 86 - but I will add to the list. 

Of course, I might just pick up an old pick up, because GRM cheap,  but, if I go new I'll be driving one of these, too.  

And the blue color scheme on these is the business. 

Cactus
Cactus Reader
4/14/20 12:33 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

The manual ones have auto-revmatching. You pretty much don't need to know how to operate a clutch to drive one.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/20 12:58 p.m.

When I looked at a GTI, I wanted the DSG. As much as I love a manual, for a daily driven car that you might share with a SO, the DSG makes so much more sense. I find it hard not to hoon 100% of the time in my Fiesta ST because of the great manual box, a DSG would allow me to calm it down when needed.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/14/20 6:04 p.m.

I know it is highly subjective, but to my eye the GTI is a much better looking car than the Veloster.  That said, it sure seems like Hyundai is on top of its performance game these days.

Peabody here
Peabody here UltimaDork
4/14/20 6:11 p.m.

Are these not based on the Accent/Rio platform?

I would think that performance pkg in either of those (hatch) body styles, which I believe were available as 2dr's in other markets, would be significantly more attractive to most potential buyers.

I like little ugly hatchy cars, but I can't past the looks of these.

BluEvo210
BluEvo210 New Reader
4/15/20 1:47 p.m.

I wasn't looking for one less pedal in a Veloster.

I was hoping for the N drivetrain to come in something besides a Veloster.

...Like the i30/Elantra body they use everywhere else in the world.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/15/20 2:14 p.m.
BluEvo210 said:

I wasn't looking for one less pedal in a Veloster.

I was hoping for the N drivetrain to come in something besides a Veloster.

...Like the i30/Elantra body they use everywhere else in the world.

Forte Sedan would be pretty awesome. 

brakeharder
brakeharder New Reader
4/15/20 11:03 p.m.

Is the DCT version likely to be priced significantly higher than the manual version? Looking for a street legal track day car and the paddleshift option should be slightly quicker around the track plus it opens up easier left foot braking possibilities. Have test driven the manual version Veloster N w/ the Performance Pack (on the street) and the car seemed to have excellent acceleration, brakes and handling during my short stint in the car. Add some some sticky tires, track pads, a roll bar, track seats with harnesses to either the DCT version or the manual version and I would be good to go. Another big plus is the warranty. Hyundai has a one page document that outlines the do's and dont's of mods. Basically, just do not alter ECU programming or stock turbo set up and you can "track" the car with no effects on the warranty.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QCreGLg41u0tzifZb4OIxBAsIWUYeO2IZo0avHpIabR89McEXjTq1n84Qexv9xht