1 2 3
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/5/19 2:43 p.m.

Did I already miss someone sharing this? I was intrigued by the idea of a modern Speed 3.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/a29640493/2020-performance-car-of-the-year/#

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
11/5/19 3:04 p.m.

Dunno how much Hyundai paid R&T but they basically said it was the best thing since sliced bread. A Golf R or CTR for GTI money.

Sounds pretty great to me!

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/5/19 3:09 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Haven't seen anyone else post it. They're quick cars and are very well sorted. 

I remember JG's coverage from the launch. 

I personally wish we'd gotten the more subtle looking i30N. 

I am going to read all their thoughts on how they came to that conclusion. I will say, the pops and bangs from the exhaust are cool. It plays up the character. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/5/19 3:21 p.m.

Sounds like I need a sponsor for One Lap.... I wonder if I could stuff one of those 2.0T/6=spd in the tib?

06HHR
06HHR Dork
11/5/19 3:25 p.m.

From the article: "As we chased the new Corvette away from our lunch stop on the final day of testing, the Hyundai had that mid-engine thing’s number, dancing and playing but forever confident. Kinard called it a bucket of puppies, but that’s not quite right. I’ve never met a puppy that can run down a McLaren on a back road."

That's a bold statement, there's one of these (Veloster N) in my neighborhood, it definitely looks the part. Maybe I should give my neighbor a visit...

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/5/19 3:40 p.m.

READING the article I get it. I still think they're insane but I get it. Now when is JG bringing me my N?

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
11/5/19 3:55 p.m.

Reviews all over the place seem VERY consistent that it's an extremely fun car that overdelivers on everything but outright drag racing. Even then, it's a fast car. I love that it exists.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/5/19 4:04 p.m.
bobzilla said:

READING the article I get it. I still think they're insane but I get it. Now when is JG bringing me my N?

I agree it seems a little insane. It is intriguing though. Probably go drive one next year. 

It might scratch the "practical, still fun sporty car" a lot better than others. 

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
11/5/19 4:07 p.m.

A local guy traded his newish Civic SI sedan for one and has done very well locally and regionally in GS.  Sounds good and looks great in person.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
11/5/19 4:18 p.m.
Dave M said:

Dunno how much Hyundai paid R&T but they basically said it was the best thing since sliced bread. A Golf R or CTR for GTI money.

Sounds pretty great to me!

Sounds more like a tuned GTI for GTI money. The real upside of the R is the AWD and more under-warranty power. Other than those two things don't think it (the Golf R) is a substantially better car than a GTI SE w/LSD and the big brakes. 

Not taking anything away from the Veloster (i've heard good things from a coworker who has one), just a general thought. 

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
11/5/19 4:27 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

More like Golf R HP at GTI weight.... Yes it's not AWD but it sounds like it's otherwise as fast or faster than the Golf R.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
11/5/19 4:41 p.m.
Dave M said:

In reply to irish44j :

More like Golf R HP at GTI weight.... Yes it's not AWD but it sounds like it's otherwise as fast or faster than the Golf R.

Right. But a GTI at stock weight can be at Golf R power with a tune and a downpipe (and could be such in stock form if VW didn't want to steal Golf R sales. 

AWD ovciously has its disadvantages in weight, drivetrain loss, and certain performance aspects - most of which are made up for when it gets slippery out, but obviously we don't usually rate "performance cars" based on how they do in the rain and snow :)

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
11/5/19 4:42 p.m.

A Golf R is not a better sports car but if you want a very mundane looking cruiser that runs damn near a 10 second 1/4 mile after relatively mild mods it's probably the easiest recipe out there.  

MrFancypants
MrFancypants New Reader
11/5/19 5:07 p.m.

Ten years ago I bought a new GTI for all the reasons why someone buys a hot hatch. I wanted something fun that was also flexible and practical. I still have the same GTI so that should say how I feel about the car.

If I were in the same place today as I was then, in need of a new car with all the same requirements I had ten years ago....  I'd probably get the Hyundai. 

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
11/5/19 5:09 p.m.

I get it, you can tune the heck out of VW engines. But once you get into mods, you might as well start taking about used cars too. I mean, you could take my cheap used Mustang and put $25k in performance parts into it and go really fast too.

I guess my point is, that for a car stock from the showroom, it sounds really impressive for the price - more impressive than what you get from VW and Honda.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/5/19 5:14 p.m.

In reply to Dave M :

Especially considering I just saw one at one of the local dealers for $2500 off with performance package. So $400 cheaper than without!

And as always, if I was in there ready to buy I bet I could get a better deal than advertised.

mw
mw Dork
11/5/19 5:31 p.m.
chrispy said:

A local guy traded his newish Civic SI sedan for one and has done very well locally and regionally in GS.  Sounds good and looks great in person.

I thought they were a ds car? I could have sworn I saw a few running at nations in d street 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
11/5/19 6:02 p.m.
Dave M said:

take my cheap used Mustang and put $25k in performance parts into it and go really fast too.

It would take $25k in parts to make your mustang go fast?? What is it, a Mustang II with a Lima? laugh

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
11/5/19 6:06 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

New Edge convertible? Yeah it's slow. All show no go!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
11/5/19 6:11 p.m.
mw said:
chrispy said:

I thought they were a ds car? I could have sworn I saw a few running at nations in d street 

They are.  The R spec is in GS.  Pretty much none of the Hyundais are competitively classed.

FiST/Civic Sport > Elantra Turbo esp. with Stability Control issues

FoST > Veloster R

CTR > Veloster N

mw
mw Dork
11/5/19 6:32 p.m.

Has anyone driven an N and can comment on the throttle mapping? When the original veloster came out I was ready to buy one and then I drove it and couldn't stand it. I drove a coworkers belated turbobsmd found it slightly better, but not great. What's it like on the N? I'm not normally picky on stuff like this, but it really bothered me. 

Will
Will UltraDork
11/5/19 6:34 p.m.

I've typed several responses and deleted them. So I'll just say their definition of performance varies from mine.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
11/5/19 8:47 p.m.

I take these articles with a grain of salt. No knock on the Veloster, more of a knock on car mags.

Ever read old articles reviewing cars we have now all driven? In 1998ish, I remember C&D picked an Audi S4 over an E36 M3. After driving both, and seeing which is the pick for most enthusiast drivers, I’m pretty sure they have different metrics than the ones I care about. Either that, or they’ve picked something that drives clicks or ad money.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
11/5/19 8:57 p.m.

The Ford Probe was Motor Trend car of the year in 1993, so I will never doubt car magazines. Ever. cheeky

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/5/19 11:04 p.m.

Chevrolet's got to be pissed.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FtrEbgkfF3slpACxBV8AMbxuVXQpKJ2fRHb5FiWPHpKX9DovmALj8cd1QbVZnWtK