1 2
DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
12/27/12 2:14 p.m.

My elderly co-worker Serio is an ex-Ferrari mechanic who wrenched back in the 60's and 70's. He will tell me to pull up a chair and will pull random stories out about when he was growing up, working on Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Alfa's, ect. He comes in today with some old pictures of himself with the 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO #3987 he worked on back in the late 60s.

(that is Serio in the red shirt, guy in the white shirt with the pipe is Dr. Baumgardner, owner at that time). You can note that it had the orange lights on the roof that were needed to run at Le Mans.

This particular chassis is the one that Roger Penske won the 12 Hours of Sebring in back in 1963 (in GT), driven by Alain de Cadenet and is now currently owned by Ralph Lauren.

Very cool story.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
12/27/12 2:22 p.m.

That is beautiful machine.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
12/27/12 2:28 p.m.

Those are two of the most beautiful cars ever created, the 250 and Muira.

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
12/27/12 2:29 p.m.

there is one for sale for 41 million i guess a little over budget for a challenge car. the last one sold for 31 million. i like it but not that type of money and is the puddle of fluid under it from it i wonder

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
12/27/12 2:31 p.m.

At Sebring in 1963 with Penske and Pabst

Serio with it at Willow Springs in 1969

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
12/27/12 2:31 p.m.

250 Ferrari and the Lambo Miura. Sigh. Honestly, if every car in the world was forced to look like one of those two, it would be a prettier place.

Very cool story too.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/27/12 2:36 p.m.

Very cool story, thanks.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/27/12 2:45 p.m.

Great story, thanks for sharing!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/12 2:52 p.m.

Modern cars are disappointingly unattractive by comparison, but it seems as if portable toilets have come a long way.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
12/27/12 2:52 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: My elderly co-worker Serio is an ex-Ferrari mechanic who wrenched back in the 60's and 70's. He will tell me to pull up a chair and will pull random stories out about when he was growing up, working on Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Alfa's, ect. He comes in today with some old pictures of himself with the 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO #3987 he worked on back in the late 60s. (that is Serio in the red shirt, guy in the white shirt with the pipe is Dr. Baumgardner, owner at that time). You can note that it had the orange lights on the roof that were needed to run at Le Mans. This particular chassis is the one that Roger Penske won the 12 Hours of Sebring in back in 1963 (in GT), driven by Alain de Cadenet and is now currently owned by Ralph Lauren. Very cool story.

Cool car, and cool story! (bro) I may have seen and drooled on that exact car when the Ralph Lauren collection was in Boston about 9-10 years ago.

Side note: That dude with the beard in the back left with the glasses looks just like Andy Nelson! He must have built a time machine. No wonder why all his stuff is so fast, he was hanging around with the 250 GTO guys and snagging some speed secrets.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/27/12 3:01 p.m.

In reply to DukeOfUndersteer:

you must write his biography. you know we'll buy it!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
12/27/12 3:04 p.m.

There is a cool story on YouTube about that car, it was the guys daily for a couple years. Cool vids of it bombing around the hills in LA. Awesome history!

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
12/27/12 3:11 p.m.

My favorite car of all time.

andrave
andrave Dork
12/27/12 3:11 p.m.

did I miss the story? so a guy you knew stood by the car once?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
12/27/12 3:13 p.m.
andrave wrote: did I miss the story? so a guy you knew stood by the car once?

Actually it looks like twice!

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/27/12 3:15 p.m.

Thanks for sharing!

Hard to imagine what this car would be worth on the open market today.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/27/12 3:19 p.m.
Woody wrote: Modern cars are disappointingly unattractive by comparison, but it seems as if portable toilets have come a long way.

That is worth repeating Woody!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
12/27/12 3:32 p.m.
Woody wrote: Modern cars are disappointingly unattractive by comparison, but it seems as if portable toilets have come a long way.

Sweet Dodge van too.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/27/12 3:33 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer said: He comes in today with some old pictures of himself with the 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO #3987 he worked on back in the late 60s.
nderwater
nderwater UberDork
12/27/12 3:52 p.m.

Thanks for sharing. Scan more of his pix

cdowd
cdowd New Reader
12/27/12 4:02 p.m.

beautiful. Cool story.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
12/27/12 4:32 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: /> Serio with it at Willow Springs in 1969

That body Dodge van didn't come out until '72. The grill in that one looks like a '74.

Bitchin' Ferrari story.

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
12/27/12 4:34 p.m.
EvanB wrote:
DukeOfUndersteer said: He comes in today with some old pictures of himself with the 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO #3987 he worked on back in the late 60s.

If I were lucky enough to stand next to that car, that would be a story I could tell my buds who understood...

For DukeOfUndersteer to have the opportunity to sit next to a guy who wrenched on this car in its day...

Yeah, you obviously missed the story.

Irish1
Irish1 New Reader
12/27/12 4:37 p.m.

I've got a well-worn 250 GTO wheel knock-off hammer I bought many years ago from a very nice Ferrari guy dying of cancer. Also bought his Best of the Show pewter mug from 1972. After driving a 458 on-track a few weeks ago I started playing the lottery again (I know, pathetic): these Ferraris are amazing. Thanks for the GTO pics.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
12/27/12 4:45 p.m.

I was about to say you're crazy for leaving that place..but then I remembered what you're leaving for. Who knows, one day it might be you bringing in pix that astonishes the younger folks.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NZIvPhRgfYrfQNmG8bCDDsfngjNknsftHm9EON2gOhA6WHVBcGzuk77R1kRzWiYL