Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/11/20 2:16 p.m.

So, I had a chance to look at one of these today.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Thames_300E 

Between the rear wheel wells is 36" the wheel wells themselves are about 8-9" each to the walls of the van.  From the rear of the door jamb to the back door jamb is about 55" with the wheel wells being about 35" back from the door jamb

Could always do something like a Miata drivetrain, but for some reason it just screamed mid-rear to me.  

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
1/11/20 5:23 p.m.

Geo Metro/Sukuki Swift? 1 liter, 3 cylinder turbo madness!

Of course, you'd need to make a custom shifter, but that's not as terrible as you'd think.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/20 5:30 p.m.

Diff with a sprocket and a bike engine. There have been a number of Minis done that way.

Mr_Asa
1/11/20 5:33 p.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

Before I actually stood next to it and realized it was f'ing tiny I was thinking about how I might be able to do a LSx FWD car with an F40 6-speed trans.  Now I am thinking motorcycle motor and chain drive?  It would take me back to my FSAE days, which would be fun.

Mr_Asa
1/11/20 5:38 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I've got a decent amount of experience and love for setups like that.  Center frame is me working on our team car at FSAE Michigan https://i.imgur.com/hoQdIJ7.jpg

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
1/11/20 7:05 p.m.

1.0L Ecoboost makes tons more midrange torque than a bike engine. Actual dimensions are hard to come by, but the engine block supposedly fits on a sheet of notebook paper.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
1/11/20 7:21 p.m.

Wouldn't the easy button be whatever fwd platform is common?  I'm thinking Honda or Toyota because there are tons of spares and with Honda, they're LEGO enough to mix and match to fit make you need. A V6 Accord would probably make it into a wheelie machine. 

-Rob

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
1/11/20 7:31 p.m.

Smallest is bike and diff, then Metro I3, then VW I4...

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/11/20 8:53 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

So, I had a chance to look at one of these today.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Thames_300E 

Between the rear wheel wells is 36" the wheel wells themselves are about 8-9" each to the walls of the van.  From the rear of the door jamb to the back door jamb is about 55" with the wheel wells being about 35" back from the door jamb

Could always do something like a Miata drivetrain, but for some reason it just screamed mid-rear to me.  

If you're looking to go mid/rear, see if you can source a Goldwing flat six from an '80s-'90s GL1500. Gobs of power, and already set up as a shaft drive.

Mr_Asa
1/11/20 8:57 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

... I think my brother in law has one sitting around his junkyard of a shop.

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
1/11/20 9:46 p.m.

I got one of these from the shoe repair shop next door to the autoparts store I worked out during high school.

I got a complete toyota 22R truck drivetrain for it  from one of our parts store customers doing a v8 swap.   I had to cut the firewall and redo it to make it fit.

A v6 might fit better, but probably still need firewall mod.  You'd probably have to give up the rear cargo space if you went rear engine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5IWgkMoy9g2l5cHJwaNdPMJMRYaL3C9GIY3XTTBTwSbuI7Bi2dvCZKK23mLRTrJH