Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/6/20 9:50 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/03_cmysoRYU

We're not really sure what kind of person looks at a Lamborghini Gallardo and thinks, "This would be perfect for rallycross," but we think we'd like to be that person's friend.

Does the fact that they are (mostly) mid-engined, all-wheel-drive cars make these Lamborghinis at least somewhat suited for rally driving?

Like what you're watching? We rely on your financial support. For as …

Watch more videos

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/6/20 9:53 a.m.

Just takes some FU money

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
10/6/20 10:07 a.m.

I love seeing a hypercar owner out using it.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/6/20 10:36 a.m.

I don't know which is more impressive, that somebody was crazy enough to race a Gallardo wheel to wheel on dirt, or the guy in the beater Audi who's giving him a run for his money.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/7/20 7:54 a.m.

Why oh why isn't club rallycross a thing in this country?  I'm not talking autocross on dirt, I'm talking real rallycross.

Also there was a guy about four or five years ago here in the States building a Gallardo for stage rally.  Did it ever get finished and compete anywhere?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/7/20 8:17 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

Why oh why isn't club rallycross a thing in this country?  I'm not talking autocross on dirt, I'm talking real rallycross.

I'm guessing that niche is filled by dirt ovals here.

10/7/20 8:35 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Excellent point that now I think of it I've made myself before!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/8/20 6:57 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

Also there was a guy about four or five years ago here in the States building a Gallardo for stage rally.  Did it ever get finished and compete anywhere?

That was the Brakimghini.  As far as I know the owner relocated to Florida and has not rallied it or the M3 that he used to run since, I'm not sure if the Gallardo was ever logbooked but it looks like the cage was completed.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
10/8/20 7:13 a.m.

At about the 3:36 mark of the film there is a black 2 seater that I first thought was a MR2 Spyder, but it's not.

What is it? 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/8/20 7:18 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

Opel Speedster/Vauxhall VX220.  Elise based European market only thing.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
10/8/20 7:43 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Ahh.  My other thought was Smart-Roadster but that wasn't right either.  

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/8/20 7:45 a.m.

That looks epically fun.

While I'm sure it's different for AWD vs. RWD vs. FWD, but at what point does the amount of HP the car has simply overpower the level of traction available with what seems to be "spec" rally tires?  On tarmac with OE tires, one can assume a stock Gallardo would blow the doors off an Audi sedan, but in this situation it seemed to be limited by traction. 

10/8/20 8:22 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

That looks epically fun.

While I'm sure it's different for AWD vs. RWD vs. FWD, but at what point does the amount of HP the car has simply overpower the level of traction available with what seems to be "spec" rally tires?  On tarmac with OE tires, one can assume a stock Gallardo would blow the doors off an Audi sedan, but in this situation it seemed to be limited by traction. 

Referring back to the late great Mark Donohue "When you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, then you have enough horsepower'.  Translated into rallycross terms that becomes  'When you can cover the entire filed behind you with four plumes of mud so they can't see E36 M3 and all crash, then you approaching sufficient horsepower' or something like that cheeky

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/8/20 8:28 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

I wrote about the Opel Speedster/Vauxhall VX220 not too long ago if you are looking for more info about it: Rate It: GM Europe’s Ecotec-Powered Lotus Elise smiley

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k8UbS63ObXXMjZib4gsIM1I4mqKAHOPzXudFJVRepDxRxgtHsAcoie1oHRNXB7hJ