Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/25/20 9:38 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/rDJZjdKai24

What's going on here? From what we can tell, it's an oval race between two sportbike racers, two motocross racers, and one flat-track racer. Maybe a (rough) translation of the title and description will help:

First Mixed Martial Arts Race (Oval Super Battle in Kawaguchi 2015)

Oval Super Battle in Kawaguchi 2015 Aoki Brothers Oval first showdown! Haruka Aoki (Auto Race) …

Watch more videos

The #5 bike was built for that. There was no way he wasn't going to win. 

With those bars, I'd have crashed rolling up to the line. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/20 10:01 a.m.

With those should pads I'm envisioning a dirt-track race where you're allowed to body-check the other competitors like hockey. I'd pay money to see that. 

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
6/25/20 10:37 a.m.

Dang. The flat track guy (#5, the winner) was backing it in on every corner. If that race was much longer, he would have lost simply because he burned his back tire to nothing. Impressive racing! 

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
6/25/20 10:58 a.m.

Thanks for the spoilers. I guessed flat track racer anyway. That's the kind of motorcycle racing I'd do. Feels somehow safer than circuit racing.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/25/20 11:00 a.m.

Nobody put "spoiler alert!" In their posts...I haven't watched the video yet & was going to guess the flat tracker.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/25/20 11:30 a.m.

That was interesting.  I may have seen this wrong, but when the flat tracker go up RIGHT BESIDE the sport bike- the sport bike guy did not like that at all- as in very uncomfortable being so close.  The flat tracker- yea, big deal...

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
6/25/20 12:32 p.m.

This is the Japanese sport of Auto Race (well, the course and the purpose built bike are).  Its bet on very much like horse/greyhound racing is in other parts of the world.  Pretty fascinating stuff.

It's been a while, but I seem to remember that the riders are given a spec bike that's kept in lockup when they're not racing, and the riders are shielded from the public for a certain period before the races to try and combat race fixing.

There's a pretty good sequence on it Guy Martin's "Our Guy in Japan" that is worth checking out.  

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/20 1:54 p.m.

In reply to Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado :

I'd like to see you try out one of those bikes on your local track. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/25/20 2:02 p.m.

Why is guy on the flat tracker dressed like Adam Sandler in The Waterboy?

R56fanatic (Forum Supporter)
R56fanatic (Forum Supporter) New Reader
6/25/20 4:56 p.m.

That was entertaining to watch.  I read the description and thought "the superbikes will run away with it."  Then I thought "oh wait, it's an oval, no long straights for them to use their top speed, the flat tracker is built for this."

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
6/25/20 5:45 p.m.

Did the flat-track guy pass anyone on the inside???  Also, riding that bike looks brutal on the hips - what a weird riding position.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/20 6:19 p.m.

he did, the sports bikes went wide in the "corners" of that oval, so he was forced to inside and use his bikes better handling to win.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
6/25/20 7:08 p.m.

I also was going to guess flat track racer once someone spoiled it. 

Edit: just watched the video and was right.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/25/20 7:26 p.m.

I own a gently supercharged 82 Camaro with pretty good 245 50 16s, Konis, big bars, and it was a pretty decent autocross car 30 years ago.  I also own a Neon with a stock twincam motor and 195 60 14s set up as a ministock.  It's well over a second a lap faster, because setup.

Edit: On a 1/3mile banked oval.

This video reminded me of that.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/25/20 9:32 p.m.

I just watched the video, had I known that there were 2 supermotards (not exactly motoX bikes) I might have guessed differently.  I assume the 4100m text at the beginning was the total distance of the race?

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
6/26/20 12:28 a.m.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Race_(Japanese_sport)

Autorace is predominantly a gambling sport. The first ever meeting was held at Funabashi in 1950, but the more traditional speedway and flat track dirt surfaces were banned by the government in the 1960s because they were considered too dangerous. 

Unlike other forms of motorcycle and gambling sport, prior to race day, riders are required to reside at the dormitory with over 500 riders and refrain from contacting anyone within the outside world including any forms of communications to prevent race fixing, which scandalised the sport during the years of the sport when the Yakuza took over the sport and as a result, crowds dwindled and it was saved when a motorcycle federation took it over in 1967. Since then the sport has very much gone its own way to develop into a form of motor sport exclusive to Japan, although in the 1990s, there was non-betting series featuring flat-track motorcycles on established short-track paved ovals (under 1,000m in general) in the United States, the Motorcycle Asphalt Racing Series.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/26/20 7:26 a.m.
Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
6/26/20 11:10 a.m.

Years ago a friend competed at the Westwood BC vintage races on as 500 single, he said a guy showed up on a hardtail spring chopper (Honda 450 engine I think). He said the guy was fast as hell, no hanging off, rode bolt upright and fast.

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
6/26/20 2:19 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

He said the guy was fast as hell, no hanging off, rode bolt upright and fast.

I think we can effectively rule out Rusty Rogers.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/20 2:34 p.m.

I mean, you knew that Money Mayweather was going to win, but you still watched the fight anyway. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
6/26/20 3:19 p.m.

So basically, multi-class oval racing, but every class is going for the overall win.

Let's do it. GRM Oval challenge! laugh

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZhfF365xj86nSLXxixwxnZXjZPX6fmkXHcinjAjhDe9qjX7hvIjnKTmj4Nr3Huh0