ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
12/24/20 10:56 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/EcVACdAszyg

Its styling may be polarizing and, unlike many of its competitors, it has front-wheel drive. But that hasn’t stopped the Honda Civic Type R from being a capable track machine.

How does it perform so well on track? We found out for ourselves by looking at the data. Presented by CRC Industries.

Watch more videos

aw614
aw614 Reader
12/24/20 10:58 a.m.

I am curious to see how the temps would hold up during a July/August Summer at the FIRM. When was the video filmed at the FIRM and how were the outside temps? 

parker
parker Reader
12/24/20 12:03 p.m.

It might drive and perform wonderfully but I couldn't stand to look at the thing.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
12/24/20 12:07 p.m.

Glad it performs, cause it sure is ugly.

Glad to see they are fixing that for the next gen. 

Error404
Error404 Reader
12/24/20 12:27 p.m.

How is a CTR like a Veloster Rally? They both have really cool numbers and perfomance-y stuff but are both too ugly for me to want to drive them.

Neato that you dig into it, though, since I am sure plenty of GRMers will be picking these up when their Fiesta's and Focii age out and they don't want one of ford's other 2 vehicular offerings.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/24/20 4:18 p.m.
aw614 said:

I am curious to see how the temps would hold up during a July/August Summer at the FIRM. When was the video filmed at the FIRM and how were the outside temps? 

Early November in Florida, so it was high 70s ambient temp. We did see a bit of temp creep in the car after a few laps, though. Being a press loaner, we're only wiling to push the test cars so hard once we see gauges registering anything outside of normal, and we also like to give them back with some tire left. Still, creeping coolant temps after only a few laps do lend some creedence to what we've heard from other folks running them on track.

Oddly enough, at the media launch a couple years ago, we didn't see any signs of temp creep. I think they were limiting track sessions just perfectly to keep us out of the danger zone.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/24/20 5:20 p.m.

Someone say Danger Zone? 

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
12/24/20 10:10 p.m.

Where does this car vent heat from the cooling stack?  It has a beautiful flat underside all the way back to the exhaust tunnel...  is most of the air entering through the radiator expected to vent out of the wheel wells or is it supposed to go all the way back and out via the exhaust tunnel?

The EVO X has a similar style flat undertray covering the same amount of real estate with similar engine output figures and as far as I can tell it doesn't start to have heat issues until you crank up the horsepower output, but it's designed to allow air to escape through the hood.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oEHnUkvWkrfnKMJ8JrOrq27r3OFevS4tm96IE9Fy4RKEZlosmpYf8IdbVSzGc1PB