David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/29/20 9:16 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vKLywfzi0xU

Oh, you know, just in-car footage of F1 jockeys Nakajima and Ayrton Senna driving the Honda Civic SiR. VTEC, yo.

Like what you're reading? We rely on your financial support. For as little as $3, you can support Grassroots Motorsports by becoming a Patron today. 

Watch more videos

David S. Wallens
5/29/20 9:16 a.m.

Maybe I shouldn't have sold my B16A-powered CRX HF....

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/29/20 11:00 a.m.

I like how you can hear the unique way Senna takes that corner, jabbing at the accelerator the entire length of the turn.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/20 12:30 p.m.

Oh man, love this video and agree with Colin that Senna's throttle inputs are wild... I do wonder if it was something that he grew to learn as a part of the turbo f1 era or if it was something he had always done. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/20 12:31 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Maybe I shouldn't have sold my B16A-powered CRX HF....

Editorial Director, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports

Selling an EF Honda is always a tough call. I still somewhat regret selling mine, but at the same time.. the parts arent plentiful in the junkyard anymore.. so they're getting to be harder to own. 

David S. Wallens
5/29/20 3:06 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

I actually traded mine to Per for the rallycross Subaru project. The CRX was the perfect track car, but was super-buzzy on the highyway. An hour was about my limit. IIRC, its JDM gearbox had a shorter fifth, even though the final drive was still 4.40:1. There are still some EF bits in the garage, though. 

I miss our EG, too. 

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
5/29/20 4:10 p.m.

My b18c crx makes nice noises, until it gets hit (then I swear)  ;)

David S. Wallens
5/29/20 4:13 p.m.

B-series rule but, um, where did that other car come from? 

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
5/29/20 5:12 p.m.

Apparently drivers right at  87 MPH ( have another video with data overlay). 

Backstory -

I had been struggling with racing this FWD high HP short wheelbase car for 3 years now.  Never had the confidence to push it.   Car was twitchy / squirmy / jumpy with a touch of snap oversteer.  90% of the problem was the loose nut behind the wheel with a RWD mentality.  I finally overcame that this weekend.  1st lap in the video was over 3 seconds faster than anytime I've run there before - second (mugged) lap was another 0.5 second faster.  No blue flags and I never saw or expected a car to pass me there.  Had I know he was there I would have loved a tow down the front straight.

This track (Pacific Raceways) is another reason for my "driving miss daisy" style - it has a crap ton of trees and minimal run off.  Beautiful technical track but scares me as much as road america.  Anyway, I can conquered that demon as well and was looking forward to fighting with the font runners.   3 years racing in PNW I have been hit in every race but 1 (all by Mazdas no less).

Anyway glorious sound - Back to the original topic, I'm surprised that Senna could drive with the digital I/O throttle mid corner.  A lot of the corner commitment for me depends on the throttle to be mashed throughout the corner.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/20 8:08 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

I like how you can hear the unique way Senna takes that corner, jabbing at the accelerator the entire length of the turn.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
5/29/20 8:35 p.m.

The ABS parallel best explains what Senna is doing; it's not hard to it's just really hard to consistently. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/20 9:29 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

The ABS parallel best explains what Senna is doing; it's not hard to it's just really hard to consistently. 

It's how I drive a rear driver at rallycross.  As the Bullet Farmer said in Fury Road: "Just probing"

If you don't exceed the traction limits, you don't know where they are. 

(If you are squeezing down on the throttle "just enough" you are relying on your intuition of where "just enough" is.  If you don't exceed traction, your intuition is never properly calibrated)

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
5/29/20 10:35 p.m.

On motorcycles you drag the rear brake..........not possible in most cars

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2gBh798E0e7Rml0QdJH25JifL9iZPp7gwNIPsnTZxsrM6Po004Gl0rHN2efu19iH