problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
5/23/09 4:21 p.m.

Hey gang,

We all know about Top Gear and Jay Leno's Garage stuff, and its all good stuff. But i was thinking that in this modern age there's gotta be some people out there making decent motorsports/hotrodding/diy videos for people like us.

Anyone know of anything?

I found MightyCarMods on YouTube. THey are based in Australia

http://www.youtube.com/user/mightycarmods?blend=2&ob=1

Pretty cool. From simple (tint, wheels and stereo on a Diahatsu) to more complicated (install a front mount intercooler) to DIY stuff (build a boost leak tester).

Any other good ones?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/23/09 5:49 p.m.

Funny you should mention podcasts aimed at our market....

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/23/09 6:08 p.m.

I subscribe to Davesfarm on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9rHrO5xb2o&feature=channel_page

Redneck canadian that gets free cars and beats the hell out of them off-road for your viewing pleasure. He also does alot of backyard zero dollar fixes and films it all. Makes his living off youtube videos and fixing junk or cutting up fridges and refrigerators for scrap metal. Alot of his cars are rusted out ontario cars, so he often has to make his own gas tank out of a 5 gallon pail with a pump in it, or pinch off rusty brake lines (redneck line lock).

First thing to go on all the cars he gets is the exhaust. He's got a few cars he's flipped the manifolds and stuck straight pipes out the hood.

Also has a few cars where he's built a platform 15 feet in the air with all the controls to drive a car with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCVAhqVqjpE

Repairing front suspension on a rusted out suzuki swift: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKgOLrhk8gc&feature=channel_page

David S. Wallens
5/23/09 6:30 p.m.

And speaking of online entertainment, what's everyone's preference: Youtube, audio podcasts, video podcasts, etc.?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/23/09 6:40 p.m.

I would have to say YouTube. Their stuff loads faster than most.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/23/09 7:15 p.m.

Audio podcasts. I can listen to them on the way to work. Just an audio recording of a car running around the track would be good. Especially on V8 Tuesday. That helps make up for Yugo Monday and Model T Thursday.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
5/23/09 7:18 p.m.

YouTube or some video media. I fall asleep listening to audio only podcasts. I'd rather read it than hear it.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/23/09 8:23 p.m.
  • Miata Monday (4-cylinders)
  • Triumph Tuesday (6 cylinders)
  • Warcry Wednesday (aircraft)
  • V8 Thursday (duh)
  • Ferrari Friday (exotics)
problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
5/24/09 11:56 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Funny you should mention podcasts aimed at our market....

I kinda figured you guys had something in the pipeline. So when's the launch date for GRMTV?

I prefer YouTube and Vimeo seems to load pretty fast too. But being on the road all night, i have a lot more time for audio podcasts.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/24/09 12:24 p.m.

I will subscribe to anything coming out of the GRM offices. Video Podcasts would probably be my pick however.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Reader
5/24/09 2:29 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: I will subscribe to anything coming out of the GRM offices. Video Podcasts would probably be my pick however.

+1

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
5/25/09 1:47 p.m.

Perfect example of what i'd like to see is video coverage of the 24hrs of Lemons. Jalopnik, of course, has tons of good coverage and pix. And YouTube has tons of usually bad/boring video being shot from the stands, through a chainlink fence, of cars going around the track.

I would love to see team/crew interviews, pit repiars being done, on-track racing from a decent vantage point, in-car video, post race festivities, etc.

One Lap is another race that could use some great video coverage.

THese races have so many good stories that would lend themselves to decent, quick little videos. And just to get some nicely edited scenes of the eclectic mix of cars battling it out on the track would be awesome.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
5/25/09 3:11 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: And speaking of online entertainment, what's everyone's preference: Youtube, audio podcasts, video podcasts, etc.?

In this day and age its not hard to do all 3. Have a high quality video podcast version on Itunes, throw them up on youtube also and maybe streetfire, and make an audio only version for the dial up folks or those who just want to listen.

David S. Wallens
5/25/09 5:25 p.m.
SupraWes wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: And speaking of online entertainment, what's everyone's preference: Youtube, audio podcasts, video podcasts, etc.?
In this day and age its not hard to do all 3. Have a high quality video podcast version on Itunes, throw them up on youtube also and maybe streetfire, and make an audio only version for the dial up folks or those who just want to listen.

Exactly. Doing all three doesn't seem that tough. Just wondering if there's a preference, however.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kIEmB6s5AtPTZxuucBbjDSCDbDTQ0wSxhUoHhZ7NxhmiV9kblxDl4ShASPW93KS7