David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/28/20 1:05 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/St7W0rzScQw

Let’s relive the Panoz GTR-1 in two easy steps: 

First, watch this in-car video and enjoy that 6.0-liter Ford V8–back when pro endurance cars had some chutzpah. 

Then read Steven Cole Smith's feature about Doc Bundy, one of the original drivers for the team, who can use some help right about now as he battles COVID-19. 

Watch more videos

David S. Wallens
5/28/20 1:18 p.m.

And do take the few minutes to read Steven's article about Doc Bundy over on the Classic Motorsports site. It's really good stuff–and stuff you're not likely to find on Wikipedia. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
5/28/20 2:26 p.m.

Oh mama, that engine sound.

And that design. I think that you could paint it black and it would still be futuristic enough to be the next Batmobile. (I think it was even called that as a nickname by some.)

David S. Wallens
5/28/20 4:15 p.m.

When Panoz was running the GTR-1, a younger me was shooting from the sidelines at Daytona. This was before things like "vests." Anyway, one of the Panoz entries rolled to a halt just past pit-out--right where I was standing. 

Yes, I took pictures. Sadly, though, they're at the office--this is pre-digital--while I'm still working from home. But I remember the door popping open and the driver getting out. Game over. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9B5D0YjA2fEEbOmoOOpfXzq7JpS1ptQBpaI8MtcIQYIj9ZRnzYjh8KXZoNwxFd1P