ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
9/22/20 11:22 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/fqF6OqfC0kc

Yes, both carburetor cleaner and mass air flow cleaner are made to clean away built-up crud, but it's the chemical compositions that really apart these two cleaners: Carburetor cleaner is specifically designed to work on metallic surfaces more commonly found in older cars, while mass air flow cleaner is formulated to not break down the plastics found under the hood of more …

Watch more videos

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/22/20 1:10 p.m.

Um...  .39 cents a can?

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/22/20 1:58 p.m.

I like it! Was kind of expecting to hear something about some cleaners leaving a residue that would change the thermal mass of the tiny heated wire in some MAFs and thus throw off its airflow reading? Urban legend?

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/22/20 2:21 p.m.

In reply to Vigo (Forum Supporter) :

The oil residue that the MAF cleaner cleans up does change the sensor. Seen that happen with an oil impregnates air cleaner test car. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/22/20 9:56 p.m.

Bought a can of the CRC mass airflow sensor cleaner last week. Never used it before. Are there some cars that should not have this used on them?

fwdriver
fwdriver New Reader
10/5/23 9:33 p.m.

I am not trying to be a smart a_s , but I have always wondered about these 2 different cleaners.

Sooo, not knowing what the across the counter prices are on these 2 cleaners, why wouldn't a person just buy the MFI cleaner to do their modern car with plastic intakes parts and  use the same can for the metal intakes on their older cars?  

Having 1 can of cleaner to clean both types of cars has to be cheaper than buying 2 cans, one for each type of  vehicle?

Am I missing something about the MFI cleaner and possibly the damage it could cause using it on older cars?  Is the MFI cleaner an inferior cleaner when it comes to cleaning metal as compared  acetone based carb cleaner? 

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/5/23 9:47 p.m.

One is snake oil, and the other one is snake oil.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RJG4II34chRtXYDmjyu7wNfWI37LB2bTKANR7xjWtcAinONdw6SiciTPNACWM4MV