ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
12/9/20 1:05 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/GcyXbBX541M

Sure, you could wait until you fail the tech inspection to get a new helmet, but we have found that it’s better to be proactive when it comes to getting a new one.

New Snell regulations are here, meaning it’s time to consider an upgrade. 

Watch more videos

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
12/9/20 1:58 p.m.

I upgrade mine every 5 years by buying the closeouts of the previous standard.

6 months ago I bought an Arai Snell 2015 on closeout and saved $250; I could have bought two cheap snell 2020s for what I paid but I'd rather buy a better quality helmet vs having the latest standard but lesser quality.

My .02

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta New Reader
12/9/20 5:14 p.m.

So... is there another video that actually tells us "What's new for Snell 2020 specs"? Or was that just a bait and switch?

R56fanatic (Forum Supporter)
R56fanatic (Forum Supporter) New Reader
12/9/20 10:54 p.m.

^ what Rad said.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
12/10/20 8:54 a.m.

Sorry guys but this is an infomercial for Simpson.  No real content pertaining to your subject title.  I subscribed to your YouTube channel hoping to see good content but this video and the one on the E46 M3 oil change are not even thinly veiled advertisements.  You can do better that that and we all expect you to.  I'm unsubscribing from your channel for now...

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/10/20 9:07 a.m.

Sorry, everybody, but yes–sometimes we do advertisements, this one included. You'll always see the popup "Includes Paid Promotion" at the beginning letting you know this is an advertisement, and I wouldn't say we were exactly subtle with promoting Simpson.

Fortunately, videos like this support all of the other videos we produce, including our latest upload. Doing advertisements lets us keep these videos free to watch.

As far as the video title–not sure where the disconnect occurred, but yeah, it could be better. I'll talk to the team and make some changes in the future.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/10/20 9:14 a.m.

Oh, and here's what the SA2020 standard actually changes, per Snell:

Although much in SA2020 remains unchanged from SA2015, the requirements for impact have been chosen to assure compatibility with FIA 8859-2015. That is: compared to the corresponding values in FIA 8859, the impact criteria for SA2020 are either the same or more stringent and the impact velocities either the same or more severe.The table shows the SA2020 and SA2015 demands for standard impact testing. The grey cells indicate the changes.

Hopefully you'll understand why we just left it at "the new standard is safer" in the video. Basically, SA2020 helmets are designed to protect against higher impacts than the old standard.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
12/10/20 11:36 a.m.

Tom thanks for publishing that; now at least I have an idea of the difference.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
12/10/20 12:25 p.m.

When I started racing it was with a Snell 1968 helmet. I would change up whenever a new Snell standard came out, so some biker got a bargain on a basically new helmet with a dozen or two races on it (maybe 10 hours of total 'head time').  We all figured (the racers, that is) that they came out with a new standard regularly even if the changes between them were trivial.  I wonder of that was true.....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MR469X2TVgwsglNjpxrnacrhnUTfHp40yXTsSVt6p3xd3VwgYzahN5VNhaiCRyfq