Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/27/20 12:53 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/PFYSEz0umcY

When it comes to NASCAR, the sentiment that "rubbin' is racing" is pretty popular in today's races. But that wasn't always the case.

In the late '90s, short tracks were beginning to fall out of favor, largely because of their inability to hold large fields of cars and also due to a rise in what some in the sport called "unprofessional racing." …

Watch more videos

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/20 1:21 p.m.

The remaining cookie cutter tracks should be bulldozed and replaced with a mix of rovals and short tracks. Then the Xfiniti and Truck series' should be sent to fewer Cup tracks, mostly back to short bullrings and bigger tracks that don't get Cup dates. Basically dust off a mid eighties schedule for the Xfiniti cars and send the trucks back to where they started. Running all three at the same tracks each week is pointless. 

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/27/20 2:45 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Agreed 100%. Most of the 1.5M ovals built in the 90s and 2000s need to go bye bye. Bristol is the best race of the year for cup right behind the Glen. Run the cup cars at leguna seca, mid ohio, and barber. Would love the trucks at Pikes Peak. 

Sidewayze
Sidewayze Reader
7/27/20 3:11 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/27/20 3:53 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) :

NASCAR also held races at Elkhart Lake. Produced some really good racing because of the longer straights and tight corners. (4 mile long with 3 very long straights and 14 real corners.  Those old (actually stock) cars  were great to watch. Drum brakes so fade caused some interesting corners. When you add the carousel to the mix drivers who were really good at one part could be passed by drivers really good  on another. Passing and Re passing several times a lap was normal.  

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
7/27/20 5:08 p.m.

They need to go back to the old winged cars. Vintage NASCAR!

Will
Will UltraDork
7/27/20 5:13 p.m.
Sidewayze said:

They only turn left, so....... Who cares?

If you don't care, why did you take the time to comment?

I'm not interested in Miatas, but I don't go into Miata threads and insult people who are.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/20 7:20 p.m.

It will never happen but I want someone to save North Wilkesboro. 

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
7/27/20 8:17 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

I agree with your plan. I can remember watching the trucks Topeka Motorsports Park going around the road course. I like that the trucks race at Eldora. There are a lot of tracks I miss.

drock25too
drock25too New Reader
7/27/20 9:12 p.m.

I'd like to see the Cup cars run more road courses, and run the full course at Watkins Glen. And I like the short tracks much more than the cookie cutters. They run 36 races, run 11 each at the road courses, short tracks, and 10 cookie cutters. That leaves 2 each for Daytona and Talledega.

drock25too
drock25too New Reader
7/27/20 9:15 p.m.
Snowdoggie said:

They need to go back to the old winged cars. Vintage NASCAR!

Or the G bodies and T-Brids from the 80's, Then you could tell GM from Ford.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
7/27/20 9:17 p.m.

I would like to see Nascar trucks go against Trophy trucks, on a frozen lake.

This would be fun.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/28/20 2:24 a.m.
Sidewayze said:

Drag racers don't turn left OR right. Nobody likes drag racing.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
7/28/20 7:17 a.m.

The vintage drag racing series is fun to watch and is getting more popular. Imagine a vintage NASCAR series with winged cars and other older iron? 
I'd love to see what a Superbird would do at Talledaga or Daytona with modern tires and no restrictor. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/20 7:54 a.m.
Sidewayze said:

Right there with you bro. You forgot to add how bad the Australian Super Cars are because, you know, they are always upside down. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/28/20 8:32 a.m.

Bristol is possibly the most fun I've had *watching* racing.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
9/23/22 8:25 a.m.
dean1484 said:

It will never happen but I want someone to save North Wilkesboro. 

stroker
stroker PowerDork
9/23/22 3:11 p.m.
eastpark said:

Imagine a vintage NASCAR series with winged cars and other older iron? 

This.  Go back to the OEM unibody and sheet metal as the starting point (y'know, a "stock" car...) with modern cage construction.  Modern cars are so slippery compared to those of the 60's and 70's they wouldn't be giving up much in top end. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CFYmade3NtdJ2KysaNwiEhRGDuZwSceD8ZL8fpV7ABGmUkRu7DH77cioG4yxh55t