1 2 3 4
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/20 11:45 a.m.

About Martini - it has to be modified to suit the car. There are a handful of basic designs but the main rule is that it works with the shape. The stripes are organic and can change width to accentuate the body lines. This also means it's difficult to do.

Those who just put a strip up the middle are being lazy and their cars don't do the history of the livery justice. That new 935 looks great and Williams really rocked it on the F1 cars. 

engiekev
engiekev Reader
2/26/20 1:33 p.m.

Not really vintage livery on modern car, but vintage livery on vintage car. I'd sure love to replicate the Archer Brothers livery on my 1990 Eagle Talon for rallycross duty

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
2/26/20 4:45 p.m.
The0retical said:

I'm kind of shocked there doesn't seem to be any examples of the Millen Motorsports Pikes Peak RX-7 livery on anything modern.

I kind of want a white ND RF Miata to do it to now. Also a trailer sporting Panasports, but that's a different story.

It's sort of been done!  Courtesy of engiekevs buddy, midwestwankel!

engiekev
engiekev Reader
2/26/20 5:30 p.m.

He is a GRMer, Rx7Kevin or some such.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
2/26/20 8:45 p.m.

In reply to engiekev :

Ha I didn't know that 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/27/20 7:34 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Ohh..  an internet arguement about other peoples preferences..  Can I cast judgement as well?

Yeah, who needs debate over cars and car stuff? That should be limited to only websites about car stuff!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/15/21 12:59 p.m.

Sarah and I have been discussing some graphic ideas for the Miata so, yeah, been looking through historical photos for inspiration. We'll see if anything pans out. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/21 2:04 p.m.

"Four Pack" Made me laugh.  I really like the red line tires.  I have always thought that was cool even on modern cars.

Dodge Super Bees

Photography Credit: Anthony Neste

Photography Courtesy Barrett-Jackson

BullManUGA
BullManUGA GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/15/21 2:42 p.m.

Pretty much all of my iRacing paints are old liveries on new cars:

David S. Wallens
4/15/21 3:32 p.m.

In reply to BullManUGA :

Dang. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/15/21 3:33 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Sarah and I have been discussing some graphic ideas for the Miata so, yeah, been looking through historical photos for inspiration. We'll see if anything pans out. 

Wiki shows me this:    

Spec Miata was first approved as a Regional class in the Southwest Division of SCCA in 1999 and the first race as an official class was at the Fiesta Carrera Regional, Texas World Speedway 2.90 road course on July 24, 1999 at 1:05 pm and included a starting field of 4 drivers: Tim Evans, Shannon McMasters, Bob Reinhardt and David Obeney finishing in that order.

The first Spec Miata race for the National Auto Sport Association[1] was held in February 2000 by the NorCal Region. At the national level, the "UPR Racing Supply First Ever Spec Miata National" was held in Avondale, Arizona at Phoenix International Raceway's infield road course on January 13, 2006 with Brad Rampelberg as the "First Ever" National race winner. Results of the 1st SCCA National Qualifying Race may be googled at: azscca 2006 National Double Double. 

With your GRM super powers, do you have any way of seeing what those winning cars looked like?

If yes, my obscure "vintage livery" is to look like a winning car from the "ole days" of 1999 or 22 years ago.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/15/21 3:49 p.m.

There was also the era where cigarette advertising was banned in many countries (but not all) so in some places changes had to be made.  As an example, Marlboro went to a bar code.  

Are there other companies who did similar?  This approach might work well where you are trying to have a livery but trying to avoid undue attention to a specific brand.  

Some red vinyl and no words would get you there: 

David S. Wallens
4/15/21 4:00 p.m.
John Welsh said:
David S. Wallens said:

Wiki shows me this:    

Spec Miata was first approved as a Regional class in the Southwest Division of SCCA in 1999 and the first race as an official class was at the Fiesta Carrera Regional, Texas World Speedway 2.90 road course on July 24, 1999 at 1:05 pm and included a starting field of 4 drivers: Tim Evans, Shannon McMasters, Bob Reinhardt and David Obeney finishing in that order.

The first Spec Miata race for the National Auto Sport Association[1] was held in February 2000 by the NorCal Region. At the national level, the "UPR Racing Supply First Ever Spec Miata National" was held in Avondale, Arizona at Phoenix International Raceway's infield road course on January 13, 2006 with Brad Rampelberg as the "First Ever" National race winner. Results of the 1st SCCA National Qualifying Race may be googled at: azscca 2006 National Double Double. 

With your GRM super powers, do you have any way of seeing what those winning cars looked like?

If yes, my obscure "vintage livery" is to look like a winning car from the "ole days" of 1999 or 22 years ago.  

Back at the office, I have photos of Shannon's first Spec Miata car. I want to say it was red. 

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
4/15/21 8:31 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Wiki shows me this:   

Here's the entire field of the first national:

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/15/21 10:21 p.m.
The0retical said:

I'm kind of shocked there doesn't seem to be any examples of the Millen Motorsports Pikes Peak RX-7 livery on anything modern.

I kind of want a white ND RF Miata to do it to now. Also a trailer sporting Panasports, but that's a different story.

EDIT: a few post up beat me to it. But this picture is better :)

why do it on something modern when you can still do it on an RX-7 (Kevin Schmidt's)

May be an image of car and road

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
5/31/21 6:50 p.m.
Liveries today are easy to do with a computer and a vinyl wrap. 

The easiest way to do a mock up livery is using the livery editor on a racing game like gran turismo. I designed my entire Miata that way. Easy as pie. You can see every angle before you spend money on supplies. 

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
6/1/21 10:49 a.m.

I thought that there was a lack of Jag content......

These guys came up to Canada and ran at my track (at different times) when I was also running (thankfully not in the same race!)  The V12 XKE set a lap record.  It was 1978 for the XJS and earlier for the Huffaker XKE.

David S. Wallens
6/1/21 12:39 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

Bold, simple, clean. It totally works. 

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/1/21 1:26 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

So 1978 Trans Am and circa 1974 for the Huffaker Jag at Westwood for a rare international SCCA National?

sergio
sergio HalfDork
6/2/21 12:21 a.m.

86 Benetton F1

86 Benetton F1

David S. Wallens
6/2/21 8:35 a.m.

In reply to sergio :

Noice. 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
6/2/21 11:06 a.m.

One of my 2 wheel projects, a Wards Mojave with a CB550 engine, will have a McLaren based livery. 

The orange color was offered by Wards when the bikes were made. The frame will be lt blue

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
6/2/21 2:56 p.m.

This is my old van. 

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
6/2/21 2:59 p.m.

And here's my new van. 

David S. Wallens
6/2/21 3:08 p.m.

In reply to AaronBalto :