skrzastek
skrzastek
5/19/08 9:42 a.m.

Ok, since I cannot read I went ahead and posted on the old site, so here is the same topic but here. I am really interested in hearing some prespective between vintage racing and 'traditional" road racing (SCCA,NASA,etc.) How does one get started in Vintage Racing? This past weekend I watched a couple vintage races and decided that instead of finishing my Spec Miata project, I really want to go vintage racing (mostly because of the great older cars and the lack of contact between them).

aeronca65t
aeronca65t None
5/19/08 5:34 p.m.

I replied to you just as the Forum switch-over seemed to happen, so if you read my post, I may be repeating myself here (I'll paste in my previous note below the line)

But let me also add that a really good vintage event will be the VRG Thunderbolt Vintage at the brand-new NJ Motorsports Park in Millville, NJ in Sept. I was at a meet-and-greet there a few weeks ago and the place is great! Also, the VRG Turkey Bowl is a special, "mixed" event, not just for vintage cars but for ALL cars, so a Miata would be fine at that one. I just got back from the VRG New Hampshire event which included a competition license school......even thought the event was for vintage cars, they let a guy do the race school with a Miata. Just an FYI.

There are many different vintage groups including SVRA, HSR, VSCCA, VARAC and a ton of others. Many vintage racers run in more than one club and almost all these clubs cooperate in one way or another. Some clubs (like VSCCA) are pretty strict about newer cars (they prefer pre-'59) and only allow "period mods" (including requiring repros of old race tires). Other clubs are a little more flexible (like HSR for example)

An excellent, low-key club to run with in the eastern USA is Vintage Racer Group (VRG). They are pretty easy going and the main emphasis is fun. I just got back from their New Hampshire Vintage Celebration an hour ago (long drive towing a race car....phew!). You missed their event at VIR, but they have a bunch more coming up, if you're willing to travel. They run the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix Historic Races at BeaveRun on July 11-13 and then the regular "streets" race in Pittsburgh the following week. Their Thunderbolt Historics at the new NJMP will be on Sept 19-21, they have an event at The Glen on Nov 17-19 and they run the Turkey Bowl Nov 28-30 (Thanksgiving weekend).

The best thing to do is to just show up at one of these events and look around...it'll answer a lot of questions and give you are real sense of how vintage "works".

The VRG '08 schedule is here:

http://www.vrgonline.org/schedule.htm

I'll be at most of these events (plus Mosport, probably the Mid-Ohio SVRA event and others). PM me and I can give you more info.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9HaQJkaJ9nH2vAHPmI8FcQ2NqD5D7bcT2rTVP0VH2d5rfhSs32ZTrZxYpSC78OXe