1 2
frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
3/12/17 6:25 a.m.
GTXVette wrote: As I Am Making Payments to get this car, no Hurry's, but will take me 'till the end of the summer to pay out . so looking for parts and or repairs I can Plan ahead and be ready for them. I'm excited and will go by tommorow to get some Pics. this takes me out of the Challenge for Financial reasons but not to worry as someone has offered me a seat in their car, Old Dog's stick togeather, aka "Pack Mentality"

That's too bad because a XJ-S can be bought for as little as $300, Ok with a degree of tinworm damage to the body !! That only makes it a perfect candidate to completely gut to get it down to weight and make nice fat fender flairs to cover those Corvette wheels you buy for a song. Oh and for Brakes there are always Wilwoods..If you want to stop on a dime and get 9&1/2 cents change!! (they bolt right on) plus they are massively lighter than the originals..

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
3/12/17 7:43 a.m.

Don't think I haven't looked,I found a complete Suspension and Drive train For a Grand Up in Tennessee But whole Running Cars are few and Far between here in Ga. What do you have For Sale? I can put togeather a car from Parts but starting with a complete car is best to me. If you have a 6.0L with a good Interior that will run for 300.00 I will get a Loan.

Pattyo
Pattyo New Reader
3/12/17 1:00 p.m.

sorry, I'm kinda slow... so to recap: find a 92-94 car (that gets you the good crank, oil pump, high compression, good heads, and turbo 400. Then find an early european distributor and oil the crap out of it before installing it. Then, cut the dog leg and the end off of the manifold and install 6 strombergs?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/12/17 3:35 p.m.

My buddy from back home has a really nice xjs.

Terry's xjs

If only I could find an xjs or an xj12 to swap in a turbo 4.8, that would be splendid. Or maybe swap in the Mercedes m120 v12.

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
3/13/17 4:23 a.m.

In reply to GTXVette:

You are looking in the wrong places.. Forget Craigslist, forget running for $300. Only two places to find such a low price.. Either through a network of Jaguar owners, or the wrecked cars wholesalers like co-part or IAA. Patience too is required.. It took me several months to find a nice XJ-S at a price I was willing to pay.. Then the lead was discovered by a friend and given to me..

The previous owner had owned it for a decade before giving up on it. He'd taken a fully running, shinny, car with a nice interior and through the idea of "improvement" turned the engine into boxes of parts, leather the stiffness of cardboard, and heavily oxidized paint.

The paint will buff out, the leather will be treated to make it soft as it was when new, and I'll either put the parts together and restore the car. Or put a 6.0 litre in with a few other upgrades.

The free one was given to me by a junk yard owner who hadn't sold a piece off it in years. It was an early 1975 about number 125 or so. Nice, nearly completely rust free, and I kept it for many years before another home was found for it.. (other priorities at the time)..

You do need to think outside the box though.. Sedans used the same engine, transmission, and running gear and they have almost no value if they aren't pretty, shinny, and running, I've had my share of rusty ones hauled home free or for a few bucks, taken apart for engines and other pieces..

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
3/13/17 4:49 a.m.
Pattyo wrote: sorry, I'm kinda slow... so to recap: find a 92-94 car (that gets you the good crank, oil pump, high compression, good heads, and turbo 400. Then find an early european distributor and oil the crap out of it before installing it. Then, cut the dog leg and the end off of the manifold and install 6 strombergs?

What are you trying to achieve? The use of 6 strombergs is to allow the use of E85 gasoline.. E85 is magic elixir, a cheap magic elixir!! It will add about 100 horsepower to a nearly stock engine.. If you try to use E85 in a stock V12 it won't run!!! If by some miracle you do get it to run it will ruin the motor..

The good heads come on the early engine, 1971-80. As does the good distributor.. Now Any V12 head will fit on any V12 engine. However if you go to early heads on a later (1981 and newer) engine you must buy new pistons for it. Prices on good aftermarket pistons will approach $100 each times 12.

If you don't want that hassle just use a later engine with the early distributor.. You won't make as much power but approaching 400 horsepower in a nearly stock motor isn't bad especially when you look at all the torque you will have..

The 6.0 V12 gains an additional 25 horsepower over the 5.3 V12 The stock crank in any V12 is massively overbuilt. It's just if you plan on all out racing the early forged crank is slightly better..

As far as the distributor, the lack of oil seizes up the distributor and prevents it from advancing or retarding properly.. Most can easily be taken apart, cleaned up, re-oiled and used again.. they work like any distributor just with 12 wires instead of 4-6or8.
However with the advent of the 6.0 litre V12 Jaguar went to distributor less ignition..

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
3/13/17 4:57 a.m.
yupididit wrote: My buddy from back home has a really nice xjs. Terry's xjs If only I could find an xjs or an xj12 to swap in a turbo 4.8, that would be splendid. Or maybe swap in the Mercedes m120 v12.

That is a very pretty XJ-S and I do like how low they've gotten an already low car!!

I realize you are joking about the Chevy!! But too many people ruin Jaguars with that swap.. The problem is the wiring will make any swap unreliable. Among other things the tach won't work. the air-conditioning needs major changes to work, the heating system become a nightmare, and you still have a 4200 pound car so it won't be very fast! As for turbocharged, I've done that to a XJ-S and it really makes that V12 scream! Mine was rude and crude meant to be a race car but it still runs around here smoking tires

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
3/13/17 5:58 a.m.

I have my Life Screwed up to a Point that Jumping into the Jaguar Life is only Going to be minimal,I am just Too Divested into American Iron and can't Dump enough to make a total changeover. They will be a life long desire and the saying is "Go With What You Know" I'll do what I Can with this car and keep My Eyes and Ears open I have tried to Hire on at a Jaguar Restoration Shop Here In our Little Town Called SPEEDWELL But Being Older Than Even Their Parents I guess They Don't Think I would Fit In. I say Their Loss.

yupididit
3/13/17 10:34 a.m.
frenchyd wrote:
yupididit wrote: My buddy from back home has a really nice xjs. Terry's xjs If only I could find an xjs or an xj12 to swap in a turbo 4.8, that would be splendid. Or maybe swap in the Mercedes m120 v12.
I realize you are joking about the Chevy!! But too many people ruin Jaguars with that swap.. The problem is the wiring will make any swap unreliable. Among other things the tach won't work. the air-conditioning needs major changes to work, the heating system become a nightmare, and you still have a 4200 pound car so it won't be very fast! As for turbocharged, I've done that to a XJ-S and it really makes that V12 scream! Mine was rude and crude meant to be a race car but it still runs around here smoking tires

I wasn't joking about swapping it. Though rethinking, I would probably put a 2jzgte in it like Aaron. He even makes and sells xj 2jz motor mounts. But, an LS or m120 would be great as well.

I'm not a fan of trying to get a v12 jag to run. The Mercedes m120 v12 is much better in my opinion. It's easier to work on, simple compared to the jag, more reliable, more powerful out the box. I know you think the only fault of the jag v12 is incompetent mechanics. I know the m120 has its own issues but I rather deal with those than the jaguar.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
3/14/17 2:43 p.m.
There are a lot of 1&3/4 inch Stromberg carbs around basically the go-to carb of the early pollution control solution.. Jaguar, (6&12) Volvo, Triumph, MGC, etc. etc..

FWIW the MGC did not use Strombergs, they used SU HS6 carbs. I really don't like the 175 CDSE Strombergs that cars like the TR-4A used - smogger carbs with limited adjustment.

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
3/14/17 7:20 p.m.
yupididit wrote:
frenchyd wrote:
I wasn't joking about swapping it. Though rethinking, I would probably put a 2jzgte in it like Aaron. He even makes and sells xj 2jz motor mounts. But, an LS or m120 would be great as well. I'm not a fan of trying to get a v12 jag to run. The Mercedes m120 v12 is much better in my opinion. It's easier to work on, simple compared to the jag, more reliable, more powerful out the box. I know you think the only fault of the jag v12 is incompetent mechanics. I know the m120 has its own issues but I rather deal with those than the jaguar.

Well I hope you can accept the power loss.. Chevy into a Jaguar.. Let's take a 1984 Jaguar XJS and compare it to it's 1984 counterpart, a Corvette. Jaguar has 295 hp. Corvette 205 and the torque of a V12 makes it no contest!!! OK let's compare a newer Corvette Say a 1986? (I owned one) A Corvette improves with the tuned port injection Jaguar has been using since 1975 All the way up to 230 horsepower!!! only 65 less than the Jaguar.. I'm sure you can find all sorts of decent Corvette motors really cheap,, er, can't you? I'm pretty sure the sedans and pickups of that era had less power.

As far as getting a V12 to run? What is so complex about it? pistons, conrods, crankshaft, valves, timing chain, sparkplugs, fuel injection, etc.. Is it that you can't count to 12 without taking off your shoes Jaguar even makes that easy. All you need to do is count to 6 and remember side A and side B

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
3/14/17 7:22 p.m.
wspohn wrote:
There are a lot of 1&3/4 inch Stromberg carbs around basically the go-to carb of the early pollution control solution.. Jaguar, (6&12) Volvo, Triumph, MGC, etc. etc..
FWIW the MGC did not use Strombergs, they used SU HS6 carbs. I really don't like the 175 CDSE Strombergs that cars like the TR-4A used - smogger carbs with limited adjustment.

The last few I've looked at had Strombergs but I suspect you are correct, the earlier ones did have S.U.s

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
3/14/17 7:25 p.m.
GTXVette wrote: I have my Life Screwed up to a Point that Jumping into the Jaguar Life is only Going to be minimal,I am just Too Divested into American Iron and can't Dump enough to make a total changeover. They will be a life long desire and the saying is "Go With What You Know" I'll do what I Can with this car and keep My Eyes and Ears open I have tried to Hire on at a Jaguar Restoration Shop Here In our Little Town Called SPEEDWELL But Being Older Than Even Their Parents I guess They Don't Think I would Fit In. I say Their Loss.

Don't change anything unless you really know what you are doing.. you will simply make it worth less..

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
3/14/17 9:07 p.m.

Me Comprenda and respect your advise even to the point of not changing wheel width's.

yupididit
3/14/17 9:27 p.m.
frenchyd wrote:
yupididit wrote:
frenchyd wrote:
I wasn't joking about swapping it. Though rethinking, I would probably put a 2jzgte in it like Aaron. He even makes and sells xj 2jz motor mounts. But, an LS or m120 would be great as well. I'm not a fan of trying to get a v12 jag to run. The Mercedes m120 v12 is much better in my opinion. It's easier to work on, simple compared to the jag, more reliable, more powerful out the box. I know you think the only fault of the jag v12 is incompetent mechanics. I know the m120 has its own issues but I rather deal with those than the jaguar.
Well I hope you can accept the power loss.. Chevy into a Jaguar.. Let's take a 1984 Jaguar XJS and compare it to it's 1984 counterpart, a Corvette. Jaguar has 295 hp. Corvette 205 and the torque of a V12 makes it no contest!!! OK let's compare a newer Corvette Say a 1986? (I owned one) A Corvette improves with the tuned port injection Jaguar has been using since 1975 All the way up to 230 horsepower!!! only 65 less than the Jaguar.. I'm sure you can find all sorts of decent Corvette motors really cheap,, er, can't you? I'm pretty sure the sedans and pickups of that era had less power. As far as getting a V12 to run? What is so complex about it? pistons, conrods, crankshaft, valves, timing chain, sparkplugs, fuel injection, etc.. Is it that you can't count to 12 without taking off your shoes Jaguar even makes that easy. All you need to do is count to 6 and remember side A and side B

That joke was so condescending and ironic. Ironic because I was born with 6 toes on each foot and 6 fingers on each hand. Jokes on you .

The Jag V12 is a beautiful (when all shiny), unnecessarily complex, finicky, garbage motor. Though they did sound nice when someone goes through the drama of keeping it to run.

Okay okay maybe it's not as bad as I say but not as good as You try to convince everyone. You talk it up to be the God of all piston engines....I want what you're having.

Also, who said anything about using a motor from any 80s GM vehicle? Keep up Frenchy dear!

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
3/15/17 7:26 a.m.

Ain't Skeered, Unnessaraly Complex, Wow I have to back Frenchy here,at 18 I worked for the Lotus dealer, That was SIMPLE,late 70's through early 80's I worked for Caddilac when they changed over to Computer driven FI that was getting Complex, the First Porsche 911 twin Turbo W/Air I looked at I closed the Deck lid and walked Away,and I was at a MB/Porsche salvage shop,I wanted nothing to do with it. I have seen several Chevy Swapped Jag's but they were All In a Junk Yard.

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
3/18/17 4:27 a.m.
yupididit wrote:
frenchyd wrote:

It's nice that you prefer other engines.. I'm glad because if everybody wanted a Jaguar They'd be too expensive and I couldn't have as much fun as I do.. I don't understand why you'd take a V12 out of a Mercedes if you like Mercedes though, is it just putting a square block in a round hole sort of thing?

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
3/18/17 5:11 a.m.
yupididit wrote:
frenchyd wrote:
yupididit wrote:
frenchyd wrote:
Well I hope you can accept the power loss.. Chevy into a Jaguar.. Let's take a 1984 Jaguar XJS and compare it to it's 1984 counterpart, a Corvette. Jaguar has 295 hp. Corvette 205 and the torque of a V12 makes it no contest!!! OK let's compare a newer Corvette Say a 1986? (I owned one) A Corvette improves with the tuned port injection Jaguar has been using since 1975 All the way up to 230 horsepower!!! only 65 less than the Jaguar.. I'm sure you can find all sorts of decent Corvette motors really cheap,, er, can't you? I'm pretty sure the sedans and pickups of that era had less power. As far as getting a V12 to run? What is so complex about it? pistons, conrods, crankshaft, valves, timing chain, sparkplugs, fuel injection, etc.. Is it that you can't count to 12 without taking off your shoes Jaguar even makes that easy. All you need to do is count to 6 and remember side A and side B
That joke was so condescending and ironic. Ironic because I was born with 6 toes on each foot and 6 fingers on each hand. Jokes on you . The Jag V12 is a beautiful (when all shiny), unnecessarily complex, finicky, garbage motor. Though they did sound nice when someone goes through the drama of keeping it to run. Okay okay maybe it's not as bad as I say but not as good as You try to convince everyone. You talk it up to be the God of all piston engines....I want what you're having. Also, who said anything about using a motor from any 80s GM vehicle? Keep up Frenchy dear!

I'm enjoying the discussion and accept the fact that you fail to see what I do with regard the V12 Jaguar.. I hope it's because you haven't taken one apart and looked at it.. Little details like the con-rod bolts. To get a similar bolt in a Chevy you have to buy them aftermarket from ARP.. The Block on a Jaguar honestly looks like a top fuel block with 4 extra piston bores.4 bolt mains on all seven crank journals, a forged crankshaft made from the same steel found in Formula 1 crankshafts of the era.. The elegant simplicity of the early Jaguar head belies it's powerful capability. It has a total of 56 bolts to hold it tight enough so the engine doesn't need the added weight of a top deck!

Is the engine as installed in production cars complex? Absolutely!! Is the 1975 fuel injection finicky? Well yes because all early fuel injection was. The earliest system is one from a Volkswagen. But in the 70's- 80's and even into the early 90's there were so many issues with fuel injection systems burning they were called car-B-ques!! I had a Chevy Blazer live up to it's name, burst into flames and melt right to the freeway pavement with my wife and two daughters driving in it.. (luckily they got out in time) that was on a 2 year old vehicle that had been maintained by the book at the dealership. Near the end of production all those issues had been sorted out and cars became much less troublesome and maintenance prone.. Not just Jaguar but cars in General..

But that all goes away on a race car.. This is an engine that stone stock the factory ran up to 8300 RPM without a single issue!! That made 750 horsepower and won Le Mans twice! Group 44 won race after race and a championship as well. An engine that can be taken from 326 to 500 cu.in. without buying a new block or crankshaft!

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
3/18/17 5:51 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Out of the thousands upon thousands of Readers’ Rides on our webpage, a Jaguar XJS is the sixth-highest-rated car. Okay, so it’s a full-race example prepared and campaigned by the championship-winning Group 44 team, but we still know what you’re thinking: Is this British classic worth a serious look? “For anyone old enough to remember leg warmers and big hair, the term ‘icon’ meant more than symbols on your tablet or smartphone,” says Michael Marter of Jaguar parts house XKs Unlimited. “Mickey Mantle, Miles Davis and James Dean were icons. So was the Jaguar E-Type. Drop-dead gorgeous, it was the first volume-produced sports car to offer such a sophisticated and potent package at a comparatively low price. “Replacing the E-Type was well-nigh impossible and the XJS didn’t exactly cause the automotive world to spontaneously combust, but the all-alloy 5.3-liter V12 returned–now sporting fuel injection–as did Jaguar’s excellent and innovative independent rear suspension. Styling was at least handsome and interior dimensions were patterned after someone taller than the average Formula One driver.” His take-home point: “Today the XJS is a fantastic bargain with many variations from which to choose.” How much of a bargain is it? Bring a Trailer recently sold a very clean 1983 coupe for $8100. According to the receipts, some $35,000–yes, 35 really big ones–had recently been spent on a full mechanical and body restoration. Hagerty says that good cars should cost somewhere south of $10,000. Not only is the XJS today’s value buy, it also allows for some choices. The model line debuted for 1976 as a V12-powered coupe. Targa and convertible models were added during the 1980s. XJS production ran all the way though 1996. While all of the V12-powered cars came with automatic transmissions, the drivetrains evolved, too. Jaguar moved to the H.E. (high efficiency) V12 engine for the 1982 model year, and a 4-liter, six-cylinder engine became an option starting in 1993. “While the V12 has instant cachet, don’t discount the later six-cylinder cars,” Marter adds. “The second-generation AJ-16 4.0 six-cylinder is dead-reliable, and there is a chance you’ll find one with a manual transmission.” Is the XJS going to replace your WRX or Miata? Maybe not. But if you’re looking for a comfortable grand touring car that offers some panache, then the XJS could be worth a look.

Group 44 Racing XJ-S V12 too rich for your blood? Why not build a tribute car? Ratty XJ-S's start in the hundreds of dollars.. Taking weight out won't cost anything. If something might have market value sell it! You'll need to get rid of everything to reduce weight and even with a rollcage (Adapt a Camaro kit) you can approach 3000 pounds. It will take a ruthless approach to get it to 2700 pounds but even less is possible with replacement fenders, doors, hood, and trunk lid.

Transmission? 1977 and later used the GM turbo 400. Hint; the dowels line up a scattershield or aftermarket bellhousing..4-5-6 speed? Want nice fat racing brakes? Wilwood!

Want cheap wheels and tires? Corvette

Want a rear end with outboard brakes? (easier to work on than the inboard ones without the issues of brake heat overheating the differential) Look at 1992 or later Sedan or XJ-S most also have a better 3.54 ratio and they all have positraction..

The stock engine will sound pretty sporty without cat's or mufflers and whatever you do duct some nice cold fresh air to the air filter (cut off that power reducing air horn from the filter housing..) Use the high beam of the headlights for cool air for the engine and low beam for cool air for the brakes.

Next if you have the computer upgraded for E85 and buy the bigger injectors required you'll be near enough to 400 horsepower that things will start to get fun..

Headers won't make much difference.. The stock manifolds are only 4 pounds each (total of 4) and unlike a V8 the firing order exhaust pulse doesn't interfere with adjacent cylinders.. Oh sure for an all out race motor there are some horsepower to be found if the headers are actual headers and not just tubular exhaust manifolds. Primary, collector length, and tube-size determined by camshaft. But you're going to have to stuff something like 27 feet of tubing in a really tight compartment..

If you want to see what can be done go to Rob Beere Racing's site.. all the stuff to checkbook your way to a snarling XJ-S

For information on particular injection systems used in XJ-S's Go to AJ6's site..

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
5/25/19 5:55 p.m.
yupididit said:
frenchyd wrote:
yupididit wrote:
frenchyd wrote:

I wasn't joking about swapping it. Though rethinking, I would probably put a 2jzgte in it like Aaron. He even makes and sells xj 2jz motor mounts. But, an LS or m120 would be great as well.

I'm not a fan of trying to get a v12 jag to run. The Mercedes m120 v12 is much better in my opinion. It's easier to work on, simple compared to the jag, more reliable, more powerful out the box. I know you think the only fault of the jag v12 is incompetent mechanics. I know the m120 has its own issues but I rather deal with those than the jaguar.

Well I hope you can accept the power loss.. Chevy into a Jaguar.. Let's take a 1984 Jaguar XJS and compare it to it's 1984 counterpart, a Corvette. Jaguar has 295 hp. Corvette 205 and the torque of a V12 makes it no contest!!! OK let's compare a newer Corvette Say a 1986? (I owned one) A Corvette improves with the tuned port injection Jaguar has been using since 1975 All the way up to 230 horsepower!!! only 65 less than the Jaguar.. I'm sure you can find all sorts of decent Corvette motors really cheap,, er, can't you? I'm pretty sure the sedans and pickups of that era had less power.

As far as getting a V12 to run? What is so complex about it? pistons, conrods, crankshaft, valves, timing chain, sparkplugs, fuel injection, etc.. Is it that you can't count to 12 without taking off your shoes Jaguar even makes that easy. All you need to do is count to 6 and remember side A and side B

That joke was so condescending and ironic. Ironic because I was born with 6 toes on each foot and 6 fingers on each hand. Jokes on you .

The Jag V12 is a beautiful (when all shiny), unnecessarily complex, finicky, garbage motor. Though they did sound nice when someone goes through the drama of keeping it to run.

Okay okay maybe it's not as bad as I say but not as good as You try to convince everyone. You talk it up to be the God of all piston engines....I want what you're having.

Also, who said anything about using a motor from any 80s GM vehicle? Keep up Frenchy dear!

We had a former Mercedes Benz mechanic join our  company  this week. He retired a little over a year ago and found himself hopelessly bored  so he started as a bus driver.  We talked about the Mercedes V12. He sure doesn’t think much of it.  In fact that’s one of the reasons he took early retirement.  He claims it’s  overly complex, 3 computers required for it to run.  Plus most of the people who buy them new have one foot in the grave and never really use the car’s potential.  

As  they get handed down the used car ladder the cost of maintenance  soon exceeds  their value.   

At that point unless there is something like the source for race car parts they are scrap. Long before they are worn out.   

Jaguar’s don’t depreciate quite that quickly, nor do I suspect do BMW’s  but all of them are a great source of race car parts. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/28/19 8:35 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

You gotta stop bumping 2 year old threads. I don't even remember this thread. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/28/19 1:10 p.m.

He himself was the last post, 2 years ago.. but he still finds the need to reply again, 2 years later. Poke poke.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fDSwPWivvwVQBthVwDvLigBBPBg1AUqKVOpJjU7mViU98DpNDhzR87YjUsRkVXBF