The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
3/7/18 12:29 p.m.

Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

story by chip lamb

During the late 1980s and early ’90s, a turbocharged Saab 900 was among the must-haves on every über-yuppie’s wish list. It was this attraction—and especially the appeal of the top-of-the-line, three-door hatchback …

Read the rest of the story

Chris_Webb
Chris_Webb New Reader
3/8/18 4:05 p.m.

SAAB 900s were common where I grew up but I didn't  run across the 900 SPG until '87 whereupon I fell in love with its un-sports car, sports car aesthetic and vibe. This was a great car. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
3/8/18 8:09 p.m.

One of my all time favorite cars.

SPG123
SPG123 HalfDork
3/8/18 8:43 p.m.

Much love for C900.s. Still have 2 SPG.s in the yard. But the next resto is a Turbo Convert.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
3/9/18 12:53 a.m.

The five-speed manuals used in the 900 series are relatively durable...

<insert maniacally laughing eye-rolling emoji here> Only in a parallel universe are 900 transmissions "relatively durable." Here in this universe, there's no argument that they were not the cars' Achilles heal. On second thought, as boat anchors, I'd be inclined to agree with the "relatively durable" estimation. At least you don't have to pull the engine to replace the gearbox when the pinion bearings go south. Oh, wait... 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/18 8:25 a.m.

I picked up my Turbo for cheap due to bad pinion bearings. Eventually I will get it reassembled

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
3/9/18 9:27 a.m.

Years ago a friend let me drive his 900 turbo to dinner with five of us in it.  I shifted into second and he said "floor it" so I did.  And got wheelspin when the boost hit.  I've always been fond of them since.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
6/12/19 8:45 a.m.

Was absolutely my favorite car when I was a little kid. Followed by the Caprice wagon. I was a weird kid 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/12/19 10:29 a.m.

One of my all time favorite cars.  Hopefully will have one some day in Edwardian gray and super aero wheels.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pxQeFa1JgsuFw5PODPo1bi4W5vn377quhGoQPfMcNMssKCCwUqZFcGKvUyutmJ75