David S. Wallens Editorial Director
Jan. 10, 2017 11:59 a.m.

“VOLVO WAGON.”

Those two words don’t exactly invigorate the senses of most people.

Gearheads, though, will pause. They know there’s the chance that a third word will follow the first two: turbo. Suddenly there’s the opportunity for the ultimate Q-ship. Meet the Volvo 740 and 760 Turbo wagons.

“The rear-wheel drive Volvo 7-series, particularly in wagon form, is like mixing all the soda flavors from the gas station fountain together in the same 64-ounce mega mug,” explains Scott R. Lear, GRM contributor and former owner of a 740 Turbo wagon. “Somehow, you end up with something that’s simultaneously bizarre and surprisingly tasty.”

Volvo’s extremely square, upmarket 760 arrived for the 1983 model year as a four-door sedan. By 1985 the lineup included a wagon as well as the slightly decontented 740 sedans and wagons. The big news was hidden under the hood: Volvo’s optional turbocharged and intercooled B230FT engine. This force-fed inline-four produced 162 horsepower–not much by today’s standards, but for the mid-’80s that was pretty stellar. And that turbo engine could be ordered with a five-speed stick.

So by checking the right boxes on the order form, it was possible to order a turbocharged, five-speed Volvo wagon sporting minimal options. Zero to 60 took about 7.8 seconds–again, zippy for the time–meaning that Volvo had given the world a fairly quick, pretty innocuous station wagon.

How quick? One Volvo magazine ad compared their 740 Turbo Wagon to the Porsche 944, with giant type making a bold declaration: “To a radar gun they look exactly alike.” The fine print went on to say that in the quarter-mile, both cars posted practically identical trap speeds. And the zero-to-60 sprint, it added, actually favored the wagon.

More sacrilege: Other ads compared the 7-series Turbo wagons to the Lamborghini Countach, Ferrari Testarossa, Camaro IROC-Z and other ’80s darlings. Volvo knew that they had a performer, and they weren’t bashful about it.

They also left it alone, as the model line continued fairly untouched through the beginning of the next decade. The big changes started with the 1991 model year, when Volvo replaced the 740 and 760 with the 940 and 960, respectively. Under the skin the new cars were similar to their processors, although they sported bodywork that was, by Volvo’s standards, a bit rounded. The 740 wasn’t gone, though, as Volvo kept it around through 1992 as a downmarket option.

The last year you could get any of these cars with a turbo and manual transmission was 1991, so for most enthusiasts that’s where the model run ends, even though Volvo offered rear-drive turbo wagons through 1995. Fortunately these Volvos are as tough as anvils, meaning that solid cars are still out there for a few grand.

Read the rest of the story

slowride Dork
Jan. 10, 2017 1:01 p.m.

My favorite part of these was the burned out light indicator on the dash that looks exactly like a skull & crossbones.

NEALSMO UltraDork
Jan. 10, 2017 1:29 p.m.

One of my first and favorite cars...

mad_machine MegaDork
Jan. 10, 2017 7:19 p.m.

My Father's Girlfriend has a 740 turbo wagon that I once tried to buy from her, now it is just a beaten to E36 M3 non-turbo wagon. It's a shame that she let it go like that. It still runs well, just without a turbo, so it is a very slow wagon

m4ff3w UberDork
Jan. 10, 2017 7:54 p.m.

Could you get a 5spd stick with the turbos? I didn't think we could, I thought we only got the M46 4spd+push button OD.

Streetwiseguy PowerDork
Jan. 10, 2017 8:24 p.m.

In reply to m4ff3w:

You didn't want the M47 5 speed. The M46 is much sturdier, and the overdrive is so nice on the highway.

m4ff3w UberDork
Jan. 10, 2017 8:51 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: In reply to m4ff3w: You didn't want the M47 5 speed. The M46 is much sturdier, and the overdrive is so nice on the highway.

Yeah, I just just correcting some misinformation.

I had a '88 M46 along with a pair of 92 autos. I loved my 740/940s

M2Pilot HalfDork
Jan. 10, 2017 9:40 p.m.

IIRC you could replace the waste gate with one from a 240 turbo & get more boost.

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
Jan. 10, 2017 10:11 p.m.

I'm trying to remember but I think John Lane's fire breathing rally car was a 740 (not a wagon though). The first rally I attended was early 90s Rim of The World and I was mighty impressed with Volvos. Boring style but they ride nice and came with stonking motors.

Strike_Zero UltraDork
Jan. 11, 2017 3:09 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200:

I believe that was a 262 with boosted 3L PRV 6 cylinder.

It was up for sale for a while, but I believe he is now keeping it.

m4ff3w UberDork
Jan. 11, 2017 9:24 p.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: In reply to Tom1200: I believe that was a 262 with boosted 3L PRV 6 cylinder.

Yes, that PRV is a beast.

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
Jan. 13, 2017 11:37 p.m.

It's been I while since I was involved in rally on a regular basis; I may be merging Volvo memories, was likely thinking of Jay Street's car or Carl Jardevall.

Bill Malik's 240 was a rocket as well, the staged we worked was Tarmac for the first 1/4 mile or so and I think it was his car that laid black marks off the start. Could have been Tomas Liljquist (sp) in the Coffee Fresh 240.

Tom

Coldsnap Dork
Jan. 14, 2017 10:53 a.m.

My prius been parked for a month now. Everytime I go out and drive I take the 240 wagon instead. Don't really know why...

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Meet Us at the Rolex 24

2 hours ago in News

We'll be hosting our annual get-together again on the banks of Lake Lloyd.

What Do You Get When You Cross a Modern Honda and a Vintage BMW?

2 days ago in News

Find out in the next issue of Grassroots Motorsports.

2017 Nissan Armada Platinum

3 days ago in New Car Reviews

The Nissan Armada is the brand's largest non-commercial vehicle and is a direct competitor to Chevy's Suburban and Ford's Expedition. ...

Tech Tips: 2015+ Ford Mustang

3 days ago in Articles

How to make it your way.

Speciality Insurance for Our Special M3?

4 days ago in Project Cars

Can you save 15% or more with Hagerty?

First Drive: 2017 Subaru BRZ Performance Package

5 days ago in Articles

We’ve heard it before: The Subaru BRZ doesn’t make enough horsepower.

10 Cars to Buy Now

5 days ago in News

Hagerty recently announced the top 10 classic cars to buy in 2017.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Cone-Killing Camaro

5 days ago in News

This one's a work in progress, but we can't wait to see the finished product.

Get Our Magazine in Print and Digital for just $17.99

6 days ago in News

Now is a great time to renew or start subscribing to our magazine.

Treading on Thick Ice

6 days ago in News

How do you improve your car control in the racing off season?

Strap In

1 week ago in Articles

Is your racing harness installed correctly?

2017 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD Inscription

1 week ago in New Car Reviews

Volvo's XC90 is the manufacturer's luxury SUV and this—the T6 Inscription—represents the highest tier of that model. And to triple ...

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
9EwpebRFbZJy6m5AImtgJIGiHIuYlOKM