1 2
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/6/16 7:32 a.m.

Untitled

THat's a grainy picture of the headliner in the Accord.

It's vinyl.

It's gouged and nasty and covered in sticky 80's vinyl mess.

It's apparently really hard to remove (like, remove-the-dash hard) and vinyl is expensive anyway.

How do I fix this in situ? I essentially am looking for a bondo/sand/paint for my headliner. Does it exist?

wae
wae Dork
12/6/16 7:42 a.m.

Could you cover it with something like non-slip toolbox liner like this:

I don't know if they make it in a wide enough roll to be able to do it as one sheet, but you could probably put a little heat in it to get it to conform and then use Liquid Nails or something like it to bond it to the existing nastiness.

Maybe a sheet of vinyl wrap? The carbon fiber look stuff is pretty thick and can hide a multitude of sins.

Oh, what about just getting a length of vinyl from a fabric store and using it to cover?

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
12/6/16 7:46 a.m.

Is removal really that difficult?

I bought a partial roll of vinyl at a fabric store closing sale (Jo-Ann IIRC), I swear it was the identical vinyl an upholstery shop redid the headliner in my old Cramit. I used it on an XJ headliner and was pretty easy after removal.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/6/16 7:56 a.m.

In reply to fasted58:

Opinions vary, but essentially there are lots of weird clips and such, and the A and B pillar trim has to come off, and some trim levels differ. I am pretty sure I'll break it all, as that plastic is all super old.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/16 8:00 a.m.

Jo-Ann's is the place to go for cheap headliner materials. Just take your time, look things up on the internet, and carefully pry or pull the parts off. It's nowhere near as hard as removing a dash

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/6/16 8:03 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: Jo-Ann's is the place to go for cheap headliner materials. Just take your time, look things up on the internet, and carefully pry or pull the parts off. It's nowhere near as hard as removing a dash

I didn't mean to draw a parallel between that and pulling the dash, I meant to say that one of the set of "instructions" on how to pull the headliner started with pulling the dash, which seemed incredible.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
12/6/16 8:05 a.m.

Clips are pretty cheap if a few break. Take your time. Once it's out it's not that hard

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
12/6/16 8:34 a.m.

I think the problem with Honda trim of this age isn't that the clips break, it's that the plastic tabs that the clips attach to break. Once you take the trim off it'll never go back up as well as it is now. I don't have a solution for the headliner, but I can sympathize with your plight.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/6/16 8:41 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I think the problem with Honda trim of this age isn't that the clips break, it's that the plastic tabs that the clips attach to break. Once you take the trim off it'll never go back up as well as it is now. I don't have a solution for the headliner, but I can sympathize with your plight.

Yes. I really don't want to touch it. If there is a putty/spray idea, I'm all for it.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
12/6/16 8:47 a.m.

Plasti-dip w/ stipple roller?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/6/16 8:56 a.m.

Hmm, seems like a coating would work. Plasti-dip, truck bed liner, something. Test a small area and see if it sticks first. Cover your seats with plastic and wear a disposable tyvek suit from amazon. And wear gloves and safety glasses!

mad_machine
12/6/16 9:00 a.m.

and keep your hootis covered!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
12/6/16 9:17 a.m.

Wrap it? Why wouldn't that work? It would cover the ugly, cheap, done with the headliner in place, and should stick even better with it being covered in sticky already.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/6/16 9:20 a.m.

I can't imagine trying to vinyl wrap the headliner in place. I have a cramp in my neck just thinking about it. I've never vinyl wrapped anything, but I can't imagine that being a painless process.

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
12/6/16 10:19 a.m.

vinyl paint

I would try something like this. A little taping and cleaning with acetone.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/6/16 10:38 a.m.

Fabric paint or dye?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/6/16 10:44 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Wrap it? Why wouldn't that work? It would cover the ugly, cheap, done with the headliner in place, and should stick even better with it being covered in sticky already.

I'd try it I guess. I've never wrapped anything before. Maybe a friendly GRMer has a scrap of something suitable?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/6/16 10:45 a.m.
cdowd wrote: vinyl paint I would try something like this. A little taping and cleaning with acetone.

I like this idea

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/6/16 10:45 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: and keep your hootis covered!

It's rare that I work in the garage naked. It's happened, but not that often.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
12/6/16 11:47 a.m.

I don't know that I'd bother trying to spray paint onto something that dirty, etc with holes in it. I don't see this working out nicely without pulling the headliner. My 2 cents.

mad_machine
12/6/16 11:58 a.m.

if you are going to paint it.. go to the junkyard and look at other accords and cut into a managled headliner. I bet the base is a loose glassfibre mold. You should be able to pull all the vinyl and padding with it in place and smooth it out and paint it up

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/16 12:11 p.m.

Spray glue and shag carpet should cover the imperfections pretty well. Wether that's an improvement or not only you can judge.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/6/16 1:02 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: if you are going to paint it.. go to the junkyard and look at other accords and cut into a managled headliner. I bet the base is a loose glassfibre mold. You should be able to pull all the vinyl and padding with it in place and smooth it out and paint it up

I've only seen one of these in a junkyard ever.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/6/16 1:03 p.m.
pres589 wrote: I don't know that I'd bother trying to spray paint onto something that dirty, etc with holes in it. I don't see this working out nicely without pulling the headliner. My 2 cents.

I was thinking of filling the surface and getting it clean and smooth first. Not sure it's the best idea still though.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
12/6/16 4:35 p.m.

How/why do West Coast Customs and OVERHAULIN' etc al make it look so damned easy?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OJUPrXx29cfiT5LaLOp1teJGuD4YjU8nEbQbBXh0e0QzG9GT1wqlgymns3lLtRqT