1 2 3
skruffy
skruffy Dork
9/24/08 7:15 p.m.
JohnGalt wrote: I have a feeling that this will end up being some what of a "halo" car for gm and i think they have priced it as one. Hate all you want but this is the first true electric car for mass consumption. The way i understand it, it works like a locomotive in that the motor does not power the drive train, it only charges the batteries. Go have to remember that this car is the first of its kind and no one really expects it to be perfect. When the automobiles first came out they were horrible machines but they have improved over time and the same think will happen with this kind of car. Don't dump on the general just because its the first to try this.

There have been lots, LOTS, of electric cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_cars

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/24/08 7:19 p.m.
Nashco wrote:
ignorant wrote:
Nashco wrote:
ignorant wrote:
nderwater wrote: I work with a bunch of investment bankers. I'm the resident car guy on my floor, so coworkers often seek me out for advice when shopping for a new vehicle. The girl two offices down wanted trade in her Lexus SUV for something more environmentally responsible... but she hated the Prius and Civic hybrids, which she said made her feel like she was in highschool again when she was behind the wheel. In the end she decided that the car she was looking for was not on the market yet and bought a new BMW 530i. If the Volt had been available, she would have picked one up in a second. Believe me, for the business suit crowd, the Volt's price tag is irrelevant. They want a cool car which cuts their gasoline dependancy and easies their conscience regarding their personal environmental impact.
i doubt the car will have the fit and finish to attract that buyer.
Why? Have you looked at a recently designed GM in that segment lately? How about the new CTS? Bryce
friend has a cts v. interior fit and finish is still gm.
You do know there's a newer version of the CTS out for model year 2008, right? That's why I said the "new" CTS. I'm going out on a limb and guessing your friend doesn't have a "new" (2009) CTS-V, and instead he has a first generation '04-07. Bryce

yeah but I will use as an example of a $50k GM car.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
9/24/08 9:47 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote:
ignorant wrote: for double the price and half the build quality you're going to have pull something crazy to get people to purchase it.. maybe drugs?
One summer, a few years ago, a dealer in central PA had an interesting offer going. Buy a Chevy Suburban - get a free Kia Rio. You never can know with GM . . .

thats an old trick, what happened to buy a Caddy get a yugo. keep the yugo in the trunk till the caddy breaks down or runs out of gas

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/24/08 11:39 p.m.
skruffy wrote:
JohnGalt wrote: I have a feeling that this will end up being some what of a "halo" car for gm and i think they have priced it as one. Hate all you want but this is the first true electric car for mass consumption. The way i understand it, it works like a locomotive in that the motor does not power the drive train, it only charges the batteries. Go have to remember that this car is the first of its kind and no one really expects it to be perfect. When the automobiles first came out they were horrible machines but they have improved over time and the same think will happen with this kind of car. Don't dump on the general just because its the first to try this.
There have been lots, LOTS, of electric cars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_cars

It's not even the general's first attempt. Can you say EV-1?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/24/08 11:41 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: thats an old trick, what happened to buy a Caddy get a yugo. keep the yugo in the trunk till the caddy breaks down or runs out of gas

No, no, no. This is GRM. Buy a Yugo, put the Caddy in the trunk, or at least amidship for a N* powered SHOYugo.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/25/08 2:02 a.m.
SVreX said:I agree with ignorant.
Ignorant said:Jensenman is correct....I agree with hess.

Hardon Collider or not, the end must be close

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/25/08 5:58 a.m.
Wally wrote:

he he he you said hardon.

Raze
Raze New Reader
9/25/08 7:11 a.m.
ignorant wrote:
Wally wrote:
he he he you said hardon.

yeah but what did hardon collide with?

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
9/25/08 8:45 a.m.

Well manufacturing and recycling nightmares and costs aside, plugging your car in only shifts the pollutants from your backyard to someone else's back yard. The electricity doesn't just appear, it has to be generated.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/25/08 8:59 a.m.

Now, carguy123, don't start bringing reality into the electric vehicle dream. Everyone knows that electric vehicles are polution free.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/25/08 9:01 a.m.

In the hippie states it is! (Hydro/Air)

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/25/08 9:09 a.m.

Everyone knows it comes from those little holes in the wall. Besides, as long if it's in someone elses back yard, burn away.

JohnGalt
JohnGalt New Reader
9/25/08 10:28 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
skruffy wrote:
There have been lots, LOTS, of electric cars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_cars
It's not even the general's first attempt. Can you say EV-1?

Yes but it is the first electric car for mass consumption. It also fixes the largest problem with electric cars which is that when you run out of juice, you're not going any where. With the Volt the motor just flicks on and you are gtg. no other electric car has this. Whats going to happen to your ev1 if you run out of power in the middle of no where. I don't think Americans will accept a car that you can't just hop in and drive, and with a volt so long as you got gas, you're gtg.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/25/08 10:57 a.m.

GM NEEDS to figure out how to make these for the masses. Yes they will lose money on the first million cars but if they produced the same amount of these at $19999.99 delivered compared to what they were pumping out in SUVs and passenger pickups it would only take a three year run to make money.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
9/25/08 11:01 a.m.

If they cost $40000 to make, and they sell them for $20000, how will they get the cash to pay for the loss until they make money on them? If we take your numbers, (need to sell a million before break even starts) that's $20 Billion dollars. They don't have $20 Billion dollars....

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/25/08 11:08 a.m.
stumpmj wrote: If they cost $40000 to make, and they sell them for $20000, how will they get the cash to pay for the loss until they make money on them? If we take your numbers, (need to sell a million before break even starts) that's $20 Billion dollars. They don't have $20 Billion dollars....

if they cost $40k to make and they sell them at $20k there will never be a break even. Now.. I can see the price dropping with volume, but geez $40k for a compact car is a tough pill to swallow. The other thing is that once they introduce it.. shifiting consumer brand perceptions are very difficult. So If people develope beliefs and ideas about it because of the high $ then they will have a hard time selling them even with a lower price. perception is reality.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/25/08 11:09 a.m.

There is no proof that it takes $40,000 to make them, they are including a short run engineering figure expecting to sell 10,000 units to satisfy a PR image issue. Gear the run for a long term 10 year program with a 5 year exterior freshen and the costs come down

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/25/08 11:14 a.m.

How will they make money?

Can't say where this came from, I just saw Scully looking around the corner at me.

Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing Incentive Program

'Let's ensure Congress funds existing legislation that will keep the auto industry's advanced technology plans on track to deliver vehicles your customers want more quickly.'

'We ask that you contact your respective U.S. Senators, Representatives and Congressional Leadership to express how critical the legislation is to your dealership and the domestic auto industry. Go to grabdemocracybythehorns.com. Click on the "TAKE ACTION" icon to ensure your voice is heard in support of Direct Loan Funding for Retooling and Transformation of U.S. Manufacturing Plants. '

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
9/25/08 6:34 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Well manufacturing and recycling nightmares and costs aside, plugging your car in only shifts the pollutants from your backyard to someone else's back yard. The electricity doesn't just appear, it has to be generated.

It's been said many times before: not all electricity is generated with huge polluting coal plants, and, it's easier to regulate and keep clean one central source than millions of independent point sources.

In many areas, new smart meters are being put on homes and businesses showing not only how much electricity was used, but when. By encouraging people to use off -peak electricity (by charging less for off-peak hours) you get a situation where electric cars get plugged in at night when people are home, using off-peak hours, making the electric plants more efficient by not being ramped down at night and up in the morning. And using off peak hours could allow for enough electrical generation capacity to convert the entire automotive fleet over. Considering we're not talking about converting the entire automotive fleet over for a long time, there's MORE THAN ENOUGH excess capacity, along with zero increase in electric plant pollution (which is being reduced even in the worst offenders as we speak).

"Here's the math in California, which has the figures readily available, and which consumes 12% of the country's gasoline: California uses 280 million gallons of gasoline per week. At the fleet average of 20 miles per gallon ("mpg"), that's 5,600 million miles per week. On an average day, Californians drive 800 million miles burning fuel derived from petroleum.

The RAV4-EV-not even the most efficient EV-gets four miles for each kilowatt-hour ("kWh") of energy it holds. Dividing 800 million daily miles by four miles per kWh means we would need 200 million kWh to convert all miles driven in gasoline-fueled cars to miles powered by electric RAV4-EVs or other, even more efficient electric vehicles.

In California, our installed capacity is 60,000 megawatts and off-peak unused capacity is about 30,000 megawatts for 18 hours (integrating under the curve on the state website, caiso.com), or about 540,000 megawatt-hours. That's 540 million kWh of unused electric capacity per day.

That's more than the 200 million kWh per day it would take to convert ALL oil-fueled miles to electric-powered miles, by a substantial margin, and without building one new power plant."

Think about it. The NE actually has that sort of extra capacity built in now, too.

MW loads on the system generally fall by 25-50% every night which causes plants to go offline and otherplants who can't cycle that quickly to reduce loads and run more unefficiently because of the fact that the power generated must equal the power consumed as little to no pawer gets stored on the grid....

Here's some data from most of the east coast during a hot summer day (95 degrees in my neck of the woods) this year which shows the system loads... PJM (largest grid controller in the world) peaked at around 50,000 MW which is about 30% of their max capacity (which they peaked at over 130,000MW if i remember correctly a couple years ago) and the load dropped to 30-35,000 MW that night despite everyone still having their air conditioners on

ftp://ftp.pjm.com/pub/market_system_data/system/hourly_prelim_loads/daily/20080719_dailyload.csv

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/25/08 8:30 p.m.

Some of you need to get your GM info from accountants instead of car geeks. Every one I've talked to has said it's not a matter of if, but when.

As a car geek, I think the Volt is a weak, compromised effort that will be offered at an absurdly high price which will make it completely uninteresting to me and many car geeks I know, which will likely accelerate the General's demise.

But I'm no accountant.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/26/08 6:23 a.m.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/09/25/zero-motorcycles-sells-out-of-08s-touts-09s/

And there is some coolness to make the thread happy

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hwL3vR7pLqGkx8P3VhBHANyRSdYkXyFfuUGqvt75AAUiGePDUQBDO7Xy6wWlXMvp