1 2
MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/23/18 9:25 a.m.

Im narrowing down my choices for SR rallycross cars and have narrowed it down to 3.  I know none will be that competitive since the class locally is an LS 4th gen camaro and 8-12 miatas.

I will be driving this to and from the rallycross location which is 110ish miles away one way so reliability is the biggest concern.

Option #1 a 1988 Volvo 240 sedan. Non turbo with a manual and 186k miles $1600 2 hours away

Option #2 a 1988 Volvo 740 GLE sedan. Non turbo with a manual and unknown but listed as high miles $800 30 mins away

Option #3 a 2009 Crown Vic P-71. Stock and in very nice shape with 158k miles $3500 15 mins away

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/18 9:44 a.m.

The 240 sedan is more common for rally in the US, it has slightly more suspension travel than the 740 and a slightly shorter wheelbase. 

The 740 is rallied a lot in Sweden but not common here, it will be much more comfortable and refined to drive to and from the event. The less suspension travel isn't really an issue in rallycross (it still has a lot more than a Miata). 

No experience with the crown vic, it wouldn't be my choice. 

I would go with the 740 because they are cheaper (not as cool as the 240) and more comfortable. The drivetrain is going to be the same  between the two. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
5/23/18 9:55 a.m.

I'd go with the 240 as it's got the shortest wheelbase at 104"  Rallycross is tight and short (within reason) always wins.

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes New Reader
5/23/18 9:58 a.m.

As the owner of a 09 CVPI, they can be as reliable as the 2 Volvos but I don't think I would rallycross one. 

Weak points? The steering system can develop problems and they don't feel like they have a lot of suspension travel. 

(There are many YouTube videos detailing the ins and outs of the Crown Victoria, some good, some not so good.) 

Probably the best thing that you can say about a CVPI versus either Volvo (unless you live and "play" near a large city) is that parts are easy to find, probably as cheap/expensive as those for a Volvo, and of your 3 choices it is the newest. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/23/18 10:02 a.m.

The CVPI needs weight reduction for rally cross in my opinion, but mine still had the cage and other accessories for extra weight.  

It's fun as all hell, but on tighter courses it plows through instead of steering which makes getting back on the power interesting. Particularly if your group uses S bends like mine does. 

The Volvo options are probably better, being lighter and more maneuverable, but I've only watched them run, haven't driven any. 

From the stands on a go pro

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
5/23/18 10:25 a.m.

Since you've already decided that none of these would be competitive, what's there to lose by going with the P71?

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/23/18 10:45 a.m.

money

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
5/23/18 10:55 a.m.

The cvpi seems too nice to rallycross. Also too expensive to purchase. The 740 looks to have seen better days, and, with high miles, it’ll likely need engine work to keep it running at some point (your $800 purchase now requires more money). 

I’d go with the 240. It’s reasonably priced, looks well taken care of, has the travel for all sorts of shenanigans. As well, PLENTY of aftermarket support, as well as technical support. Plus, that trunk can take a lot of things to the track. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
5/23/18 10:55 a.m.
G_Body_Man said:

Since you've already decided that none of these would be competitive, what's there to lose by searching for a different car?

fixed

MrChaos
5/23/18 11:06 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

The lack of quality, reasonably priced rwd vehicles in my area.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
5/23/18 11:37 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
G_Body_Man said:

Since you've already decided that none of these would be competitive, what's there to lose by searching for a different car?

fixed

The first thing to come to mind was a Pontiac Fiero. I may need help.

MrChaos
5/23/18 12:23 p.m.
G_Body_Man said:
ProDarwin said:
G_Body_Man said:

fixed

The first thing to come to mind was a Pontiac Fiero. I may need help.

Nah it's just grm rubbing off on you.

Now there is like 1 manual 240 for sale near me but there are 6-7 automatics. How bad is the 240 auto?

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
5/23/18 12:31 p.m.

I haven't driven a 240 with an auto, but the auto in the 740s (at least the turbo ones) isn't bad at all.  And honestly, I think autos work fairly well in rallycross.  No "oh crap, I should have gone for 1st there" moments due to the torque converter.  And sometimes the smoothing effect of the torque converter on power delivery lets you put down a little more power without upsetting the car.  

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/18 12:33 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

For a daily driver the auto is OK but very slow. For rallycross I would definitely avoid unless it has a turbo. 

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
5/23/18 12:40 p.m.
EvanB said:

In reply to MrChaos :

For a daily driver the auto is OK but very slow. For rallycross I would definitely avoid unless it has a turbo. 

This means he needs to buy an auto one so he's got a good excuse to hunt down some junkyard turbo bits devil

MrChaos
5/23/18 12:42 p.m.
rslifkin said:
EvanB said:

In reply to MrChaos :

This means he needs to buy an auto one so he's got a good excuse to hunt down some junkyard turbo bits devil

There is an ls 4.8 on FB marketplace for $400 right now. Don't tempt me.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
5/23/18 12:58 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man :

MrChaos
5/23/18 1:29 p.m.

Here are my Craigslist options. https://asheville.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=volvo&auto_drivetrain=2

All are autos. There is a 96 960 wagon for sale that was listed as fwd that I might call about.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
5/23/18 2:09 p.m.

FWIW, the wagons do have better weight balance than the sedans.  Later sedans (late 80s and up) have IRS in the 700/900 series, earlier sedans and most wagons have a stick axle in the back.  95+ wagons do have IRS IIRC.  Not sure about the 240s though.  

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/23/18 3:05 p.m.

I could score you an auto 960 sedan with a bad transmission for scrap money...

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/23/18 3:31 p.m.

the only benefit to the auto that i see is improved power handling (if both cars stay N/A this isn't an issue), better availability, and the fact that autos came coupled with 3.73s, while the manuals in both 2/7 series got paired with 3.31s.  

the only 95+ wagons are the revised 960s, which do indeed have IRS.  no 240s ever came with IRS.  sedan-wise, 88-90 760s, 91 940SEs and 92-94 960s were the only "old body style" sedans available with IRS.  I'd stick with the live axle.

MrChaos
5/23/18 8:40 p.m.

There is a 91 240 with 140k for $1k near me i just found that i might go and look at if it still available next weekend

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
5/23/18 10:16 p.m.

Just throwing it out there, but for SR on a low budget, e36 3-series WILL be competitive, and there's plenty of ratty ones out there for a couple grand. 

Volvo 240 is cool though, so if you're going with your original list, that's my pick even though it won't win. And if you don't care about winning, bonus points for getting a 240 WAGON because that's like 10x as cool in rallycross.

MrChaos
5/24/18 5:39 a.m.
irish44j said:

Just throwing it out there, but for SR on a low budget, e36 3-series WILL be competitive, and there's plenty of ratty ones out there for a couple grand. 

Volvo 240 is cool though, so if you're going with your original list, that's my pick even though it won't win. And if you don't care about winning, bonus points for getting a 240 WAGON because that's like 10x as cool in rallycross.

i know I wont win because the 2nd fastest raw times for the events are usually the SR 4th gen camaro

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/18 1:13 p.m.
irish44j said:

You can't put Volvo 240/740 simplicity and anvil-ness in the same ballpark as an E36, at all.

E36s are neat but I don't think rallycrossing one on a budget is doable unless your standards are extremely low.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bplpg8RJJMd71uMa4zmxJlWxEOWzLCDlMcCeiLxgYmRB43LR1EzawuV0WGfux8zc