Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/14 8:24 a.m.

A co-worker has an 00 Volvo C70 that ran, and now it won't start. I can be in it for peanuts and it's fairly clean. Easy fix and flip or run away screaming?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
7/30/14 8:34 a.m.

Need a whole lot more clues there, I'm afraid. If the timing belt is wrapped around the crank pulley, its worth more to fix than you could sell it for. If it needs a new cam sensor, its pretty cheap...

Convertible or hardtop? They both have a pretty limited audience. Not that many people put "sporty" and "Volvo" in the same sentence. Hell, I've worked on them since 1981, and I can't do it- Even the "R" models seem stupid to me.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
7/30/14 8:35 a.m.

They are known, if I remember right, to fry parts that require expensive parts and programming to fix. I might suggest parting it.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
7/30/14 8:37 a.m.

It's a 2 door and/or convertible S70, i.e. "prettier" 850. By 2000 they were COP and had an electric throttle body, otherwise the same White Block 5 Cylinder that's been around since '93. Not knowing more symptoms hard to say. Interference engine with a timing belt, potential for catastrophe from neglected maintenance. I bought a new-to-me lower mileage engine for my 850 for $370 shipped, so worst case it's not like it's a HUGE investment in the grand scheme of things.

Though the same handful of C70s have been for sale for months on the local craigslist, so there may not be much of a market to resale even if it's a cheap fix.

• Lee
foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
7/30/14 10:20 a.m.

Pull the oil filler cap and have your friend crank the engine. If you don't see the cams moving, you're done. Oh, you can replace the bent valves, but google search that job.

That era I think has a problem with the throttle position sensor where it wears out and creates really nifty driving problems. There is a fix, but it's not cheap. Around $600 as I recall.

Convertible top mechanism/motors failing is a common complaint. Don't know how well you can pull the top up by hand.

00, might also be the era where the door panel skins shrink and pull themselves off.

It is a Volvo, it will have electrical gremlins.

Personally, I'd go look at it. I rather like this convertible. I window shop them myself. But do understand, it is not a Toyota Camry.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/14 10:54 a.m.

I like the C70 coupe'. Very pretty car

Javelin
7/30/14 10:13 p.m.

It's a C70 Coupe. 2.something, turbo, auto. Black with tint and smoked lights on aftermarket black wheels. Owner says you can see the timing belt turn (no cover on it?), but it won't fire.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
7/31/14 4:47 a.m.

Go look yourself.

11110000 Reader
7/31/14 9:28 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Go look yourself.

Yes, make sure the owner isn't watching the serpentine belt turn instead.

In my Volvo experience, at least 90% of these types of problems can be fixed with a some electrical contact cleaner, a little solder, or a sub $50 part from a pick 'n pull.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
7/31/14 9:58 a.m.

Even if you can see the timing belt turning on the cam pulleys, it doesn't mean it's still in time and the valves aren't bent. I'd expect some noise, but I've seen them jump timing with a weak tensioner, valves bend enough to no longer seal. I'd be checking compression before exchanging money.

I like the coupes better than the convertibles, so I'd be more inclined to try and save it vs a convertible, but that's just me.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
7/31/14 10:35 a.m.

Regardless of how involved the fix is, the market for them isn't great. It's a heavy 14-year-old FWD automatic sports coupe, not exactly a high dollar fast selling car. I think they're pretty, and that platform is pretty satisfying to drive, but not that great of a flip unless you can get it super cheap.

I wouldn't pay more than $500 - $800 for a non-running C70 and that assumes it's in really great shape other than the non-running bit.

Javelin
7/31/14 10:14 p.m.

$550 was his bottom dollar offer. Junkyard offered him $500.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/31/14 11:31 p.m.

Worth a shot for that I think.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
8/1/14 10:04 a.m.

Yeah, you can play with it and if it turns out to be a more serious problem you're out at most the $50 difference between what you paid and what the junkyard will pay..

I bet you could make more than $500 selling parts off it then sell the husk to the yard for $200 - $300. Just the catalytic converter would probably net you $90 or so from the online buyers.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/14 11:07 a.m.

it's funny.. I was on ebay looking for a C70. 12 cars, all but one was a vert.. and they wanted a few thousand for the coupe'

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T5IZAmrpjQFXeCp5UBiEOXHmrkAMMIjgGyRVccA3jpCU4mnvXL3c1QVTfMd5rG6o