1 2
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
3/16/18 11:30 a.m.

So, in planning ahead for my son's first car, we're looking for candidates that are reasonably large, very safe, and slightly underpowered.  Also cheap.  Our front runners seem to be Mercedes E-Class (!), Mazda 6, Toyota Avalon (?), and Volvo S80.  In the around 10 to no more than 15-years old range.

I like the BMW's, especially a 5-series with the inline six, but he's adamant about not being the stereotypical "rich kid" in a BMW.  He gives a pass to the Mercedes, though.   He really likes Mercedes.

It seems I recall there is some common flaw with the S80, but I don't remember what it was?  Head gasket? Transmission?  What?  Anyone have any specific knowledge of the car, say from 2005 to 2010?

Anything else we should consider?  Primary considerations are safety and reliability. 

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Dork
3/16/18 12:46 p.m.

I'm not sure that an Avalon with the V6 is going to be "underpowered". If the Mazda6 is on the list, any reason why the usual midsize sedan suspects aren't on the list (Accord/Camry/Altima/Fusion/Sonata/Optima) with the 4 cylinder?  Maybe also the Acura TSX?

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
3/16/18 12:52 p.m.

The old S80's T6 (first gen until 2006) had a fragile GM transmission that breaks easily and a few electrical issues that were slowly fixed as the years went by. You could get a 2.5T with the AWD. It will be slow but reliable.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/16/18 1:00 p.m.
szeis4cookie said:

Maybe also the Acura TSX?

An Acura TSX will be dead-nuts reliable, nice enough to be comfortable without being showy, fun enough to drive without being dangerous, cheap enough to afford a clean one, and sporty enough looking that it doesn't seem like grampa's hand-me-down.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
3/16/18 3:21 p.m.

Yeah, an Acura could probably work, so long as we stay away from the ones with the hideous chrome-plated snout.  I think they started that around the 2010 model year.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
3/16/18 3:22 p.m.

No love for the E-Class?  One way ticket to the poorhouse?  laugh

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
3/16/18 3:42 p.m.

Would that be the TSX that has the same Odyssey transmission that is called a ticking time bomb on this forum?  And would the S80 Hydramatic be the one that lasts just fine in a non turbo/awd application?  And would the gutless 5 cylinder turbo be the one that is perfectly adequate, but with the early Aisan trans that has valve body issues?

A well maintained S80 is basically a longer S60, with harder to find small parts, since they sold fewer. The non turbo six is perfectly adequate for a daily driver.  It isn't a Q-ship, but it will ferry you across the nation at pretty much any speed you want to go, in great comfort.

From your list of cars, find the best looking one with the best records of maintenance and buy it.

Unless it's German.  Don't buy a German car because my reasons.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/16/18 3:42 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

2004-2008 is what you're looking for.  2005+ added a few very small niceties to the cabin, but really throughout the first model's run, your basic option was nav or no nav.  Everything else was standard.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
3/16/18 3:45 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Yeah, an Acura could probably work, so long as we stay away from the ones with the hideous chrome-plated snout.  I think they started that around the 2010 model year.

A friend bought a black TSX and painted the stupid grille black.  Massive improvement.  I think you could make it look a lot better by parking next to newer Luxus suv's, too.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/16/18 3:47 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Would that be the TSX that has the same Odyssey transmission that is called a ticking time bomb on this forum?

The same transmission that fails when attached to a torquey 3.5L V-6 dragging a 4,500lb Oddyssey does just fine with a 2.4L 4 cylinder putting less torque into pulling a 3,300lb car that's smaller than an Accord.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/16/18 3:55 p.m.

The Avalon is a no-brainer for reliability and comfort.   All of his buddies will be able to fit inside though.....which may not be good.   It will also turn him away from being an enthusiast----as they are cloud machines, and great cars......just no fun.  Of course a 16 year old can have fun in about anything if they try hard enough! 

Mercedes around the turn of the century had tons of issues.   I wouldn't go there when there are many more rational choices.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
3/16/18 4:03 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin :

I think he's already an enthusiast, but I want him to understand that "race car" and "daily driver" are two completely different things.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/16/18 4:15 p.m.

I'd look at 2000-2003 Maximas. Largish, but handle pretty well. The drivetrain is pretty bulletproof. The 00-01 was 222 hp so not super-powerful but quick enough. The 02-03 was 265hp and pretty quick, but not "get in trouble" quick. Surprisingly good aftermarket (though fairly niche), and lots of forum support and a pretty good core of enthusiasts (I know, I was a moderator there!). They can be found pretty cheap and generally do not have rust issues that some other cars that age have.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/16/18 4:29 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

In reply to Joe Gearin :

I think he's already an enthusiast, but I want him to understand that "race car" and "daily driver" are two completely different things.

Excellent---- maybe get him something fun-ish, but still reliable and sensible:

TSX manual

Accord manual

Mazda 6 manual

Infinity G35 manual

Maxima / Altima .....manual

see a trend?   :)   

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
3/16/18 4:30 p.m.

I was a big fan of the 4DSC-era Maximas, but they so went down the wrong path with the styling.  Nissan and Hyundai/Kia are about the only things I won't consider.  My son seems to share the same anti-Nissan bias, but he does like the GT-R.  Go figure.  Needless to say, he won't be getting one of those. laugh

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/16/18 4:32 p.m.

Camry, reliable decent prices on repair/parts.  Nissan Altima, reliable, same parts/repair..  Honda Accord.  A pattern, I know.    How about a GM?  Lesabre,  Impala etc.  Farty I know, but safe, reliable, and cheap.

I have an S60, 2008.  Safe, so far reliable, parts a tad pricey.  Quick enough to get you into trouble.  But a good one would be 2006 and up.  Low miles, service records, is the order of the day.  Not cheap to buy.

Another note.  I bought my daughter a 2005 Altima, nice car.  Timing chain, instead of belt.  A little less maintenence.  Parts are pletntiful, and cheap.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/16/18 4:33 p.m.

Solara is the answer. All that is good of the Camry but less expensive because of less demand since anyone with kid car seats doesn't look at them. 4cyl or 6cyl

Scion TC carries on where the Solara drops off. 4cyl

Similar recipe in GM flavor from the Impala based Monte Carlo. 6cyl only   

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
3/16/18 4:34 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin :

My son and I will have to fight my spousal unit over the manual trans.  She's convinced that it's a distraction.  I'd make the exact opposite argument, but I may not be able to win her over.  Not ready for WW3 on that issue.  Got any studies showing that manual transmissions make better drivers that I can email to her? wink

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/16/18 4:36 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I didn't think of the Solara.  Sporty enough,for a young gun. Monte's, I prefer the g body.

jstand
jstand Dork
3/16/18 4:42 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

The manual could help keep his buddies from asking to drive it.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/18 4:54 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

All, repeat all, Aisin automatics have valve body issues to one degree or another.  99% of the time it is just annoying rather than failuriffic.

The GM trans used pre-Aisin was the 4T65.

BoxheadCougarTim
BoxheadCougarTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/18 5:46 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

In reply to Joe Gearin :

If you manage to teach him that, he'll be ahead of a lot of us already

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/16/18 5:48 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I'm an excellent driver, and all my vehicles are manuals. laugh Seriously though, as you know a manual forces you to pay attention whereas an automatic allows the driver to more easily get distracted with other things.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
3/16/18 6:06 p.m.

I'm an excellent driver too.    I presently drive a twin clutch. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/16/18 6:06 p.m.

Um E-class, yes. Do it!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2QPTvIDnOeNVh04355KlpfBTDnNBdCZMrk3NZ7Q38MGhAgzP806V8vIYOsofMNIj