coll9947
coll9947 New Reader
4/19/11 10:23 a.m.

I've been researching these for weeks now. They check all the boxes for me: quick enough, safe, comfy, good looks, practical. Early models can be had with 100k miles or so for 7-8 grand in what looks to be respectable shape for a 10 year old car.

Things like headlights, some model years have much cheaper replacement costs than other years, and this seems to be the case for a lot of parts.

Are there years of this generation to avoid?

As much as I'd like the R model, I'm scared away by maintenance costs and insurance for this 26 year old recent college grad.

11110000 Reader
4/20/11 5:12 a.m.

They are nice, solid cars, and you get a lot for your money at this point (thank you, depreciation!) I have an '06 S80 AWD, which is basically the sedan version.

The earliest years (-02) could have electronic throttle issues. Beyond that, nothing terribly concerning. The T5 has good power, and is available with a 5-speed. There's also the 2.5T (auto only) and a NA 5-cyl (auto or manual.) A few years even offered AWD in the non-XC bodystyle - something of a cult following for that one.

As far as replacement parts go, almost everything is swappable between model years. There were a lot of options on these cars for different trim levels (Halogen headlights, jeweled-style, HIDs, glass lenses vs. plastic, etc...) so that might explain some of the differences you're seeing.

I've had my car for almost a year and a half. It's at 110k miles, and all I've done is oil, plugs and a timing belt.

dery2013
dery2013
7/22/13 7:35 p.m.

I had a 2004 V70. It's awesome. But something often goes wrong with the head unit. As I'm fond of music very much, I plan to have it replaced. I heard that there are specially designed auto DVD players for choice. So any advice for me?

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
bkQE9Cug32FNDeymWDUFcu2QomW0gBKI