ea_sport
ea_sport New Reader
5/27/09 8:33 a.m.

I am looking into 2007 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD for my wife new ride and was wondering if anybody here have specific info on this model. The good, the bad and the ugly kind of info especially if anybody here works for Volvo or Volvo dealership or shop. Thanks in advance all.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/27/09 9:34 a.m.

No real info, but I do know they have this cute little tailgate that seems like it offers lots of versatility over a normal SUV hatch.

Just thought I'd share..

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/27/09 9:39 a.m.

Not an XC, but we have an '06 S40 we really like. I do worry about the electronics, though.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
5/27/09 10:18 a.m.

My MIL has one. It eats tires (less than 15k per set, despite rotation) and decided it wouldn't start on occasion--dealership hasn't figured that one out yet.

ea_sport
ea_sport New Reader
5/27/09 11:57 a.m.

Thanks for the info guys. I am planning to get a CPO so it should help take care some of the issues for the next 3-4 years (assuming 6 years 100Kmiles CPO from Volvo). As far as the tires, it will be driven for only around 10k per year so hopefully they will last for at least 1year and a half or I can buy shares in Kumho

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
5/27/09 12:15 p.m.

My MIL switched to the new BFGoodrich touring SuV tire and that slowed down the tire changes.

pigeon
pigeon Reader
5/27/09 12:39 p.m.

I bought my wife a CPO '07 XC90 V8 about 2 months ago. Tough to find one in the color she wanted with the features we both wanted but I finally got exactly what I would have ordered (at nearly 1/2 the price of new!). It's quiet, smooth, rides nicely for an SUV, great seats. It seems a bit smaller inside than I thought it would be now that we've been living with it for a while. Severe lack of small item storage in the front of the cabin. The Dynaudio audio upgrade option is great - very clear and as loud as you can handle. No major known trouble spots that I read of in my research, at least on the newer models - trannys were weak in the older T6 cars.

car39
car39 Reader
5/27/09 1:01 p.m.

Tires and brakes are usual upkeep items because of the weight of the truck. T6 and V8 are great, the T5 was a little under powered. Typical SUV gas mileage, no real outstanding problems, other than the soccer moms who drive them.

pigeon
pigeon Reader
5/27/09 2:55 p.m.

Yeah, gas mileage isn't great. We're seeing 20ish with mostly short trips on premium gas in our V8, which (a) is about the same or better than the Pilot we had and (b) makes my 750Li look good on gas LOL.

ea_sport
ea_sport New Reader
5/27/09 4:27 p.m.
pigeon wrote: I bought my wife a CPO '07 XC90 V8 about 2 months ago. Tough to find one in the color she wanted with the features we both wanted but I finally got exactly what I would have ordered (at nearly 1/2 the price of new!). It's quiet, smooth, rides nicely for an SUV, great seats. It seems a bit smaller inside than I thought it would be now that we've been living with it for a while. Severe lack of small item storage in the front of the cabin. The Dynaudio audio upgrade option is great - very clear and as loud as you can handle. No major known trouble spots that I read of in my research, at least on the newer models - trannys were weak in the older T6 cars.

Do you mind sharing how much you paid for it and whether yours have the NAV and DVD Rear Seat Entertainment System? I am looking at the V6 CPO from the same year so it should be a few thousand dollars less than your V8 (unless the options vary significantly). I am curious, did you look at any other option other than the XC90? I am also considering the MDX from the same year but the MDX seems to be quite more expensive than the XC90 (same model year and comparable mileage). Thanks.

pigeon
pigeon Reader
5/27/09 7:55 p.m.

I paid $32.5k from Boston Volvo for my car with 21.5k miles on it and virtually all options available that year except the Sport or R-Design trim (I'm not sure the R-Design was offered in '07). It is Magic Blue with the Sovereign Hide Chestnut interior ($1500 option new, buttery soft leather in a beautiful color), RTI (navigation), RSE, Bi-xenons, Climate, Convenience, Versatility and Touring Packages, Dynaudio, BLIS, and the dealer add-on bluetooth. The only thing it doesn't have is the satellite radio. The V8s are only a bit more expensive than the 3.2 but the acceleration is much better and gas mileage is roughly the same.

The target was a 3-row lux SUV. We briefly considered the MDX but it's just a pretty Pilot and my wife was sick of her Pilot after 3 years in hers. The domestic nameplates were all ruled out by her, though I rather like the Tahoe despite the fact that it's freaking huge. We looked at Audi Q7s, which I liked but she absolutely hated. I really liked the BMW X5, but even for a fanboi like me they were way too expensive, and the new generation with 3 rows was nearly impossible to find. The XC90 quickly won based on price, size and comfort.

Boston Volvo was great to work with, they looked hard to find the exact car I wanted. It was worth the quick flight and 6 hour drive back. I looked at the local DC area dealers also and they were consistently more expensive than Boston Volvo. Just be sure to get their price including CPO; they typically advertise them without the that. Call Ted and tell him Scott from Rochester sent you.

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
5/27/09 9:04 p.m.

Also look at www.swedespeed.com. That site has some good info. Used to be over there a lot with my S60R.

We have an XC90 and I can second the tires and brakes. We went with the optional size of 255/50/18 (think thats right) which gave us more options.

My wife loves the car and its good for the usual stuff. Not great on gas and feels heavy. I have the 2.5T FWD. Third row is clutch.

Boston Volvo is good, there is also a dealer in SC that everyone really likes. CPO is a great way to see Europe and get a car.

All in all, we like ours.

ea_sport
ea_sport New Reader
5/28/09 5:48 a.m.

Thanks for all the info guys, the real life info from Volvo owners really help.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
09Lnhapa9ZhZxktMvygQvxQVUBkrpeaf7dKapad9cuKyfH34XHiIY59CcCbEWJsa