Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/20 12:58 p.m.

Official Entries:  Everyone gets to vote on the Best in Show overall, so please pick your favorite!

Racecar Class:

ZackM's Mitsubishi Starion:

Javelin's HO Scale Datsun Z FP:

ZackM's BMW M3 "Test Car"

TurnerX19's 1963 Lotus 25:

slowbird's Ford Torino short track car:

ZackM's WRC Impreza:

BenB's Indy Car:

sofly's Mustang short track car:

Saron81's Monte Carlo NASCAR:

ZackM's AE92 Corolla GrpA car:

BenSwen's Volvo touring car:

Saron81's Pontiac Grand Prix NASCAR:

Snowdoggie's McLaren 2/3:

Replica Class:

TurnerX19's Studebaker Avanti:

ddavidv's 1957 Jeep CJ-5:

vwcorvette's 1964 Chevrolet Corvette:

Claff's NA Miata:

Javelin's 1960 Chevrolet Impala:

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/2/20 1:38 p.m.

Are we voting by PM, or just hanging it all out here?

9/2/20 2:13 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Hang it out here! Let's hear some praise for all the work these guys did!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/2/20 4:05 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

OK, here we go - first off, they all look great, even Snowdoggie's "Where's the rest a ya car, toots?" McLaren.  I'm looking forward to building a few things again once I retire.  Great work by everybody!

Racecar class:

3) Tie - Zack's GrpA Corolla vs Zack's WRC Impreza.  I really like that both have a little diorama / vignette with them.  I saw other pictures of the Impreza's weathering and it looks great; just the right touch.  But I also like the air tank and wheels-off detail on the Corolla.

2) BenSwen's 240 touring car.  It's simple, but he absolutely nails the presence and stance of the car.  It looks like it weighs something.  The detailing is subtle but the execution is very crisp.  I'd love to see the engine bay and interior.  I'm really not sure why it beat Zack's cars for me, but it did.

1) TurnerX19's Lotus 25.  A stunning model stunningly executed.  The "realness" is absolutely there.  I'd have liked to see the picture zoomed in a little closer, and if there was a build thread I didn't follow it.  But with a little background work and good lighting, you could make a believable image of it.  The only thing missing is a harness - assuming they had them in '63.  (Oh... sand the tires a little bit.)

Replica Class:

Note - I can't see ddavidv's Jeep.

3) Undecided.  Interior of Claff's Miata is neatly done, but it looks like he struggled with the exterior paint a bit.  Definitely looks like the real thing - I hope he drilled out the RR marker light to match.  Exterior of vwcorvette's Vette looks exactly like the original, but this image doesn't offer much detail.  Good finish on the vinyl convertible top.  I'm looking forward to seeing ddavidv's Jeep.

2) Javelin's Impala.  I know you struggled with this kit a little, but the end result is great - really captures the original.  Needs fuzzy dice to bring it home.

1) TurnerX19's Avanti.  I'm a sucker for Studes, I'm a sucker for Raymond Loewy, and my childhood friend's dad had one just like that in lime green.  Nice metallic paint finish.  Nice underhood detail, but it is crying out for plug wires.

So there are my votes.  Really, though, I have to say again, there isn't a bad model in the bunch.  Great work!

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/20 4:08 p.m.

I'm going with slowbird's stock car.  The volvo is gorgeous but i'll go with simple clean here

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
9/2/20 4:20 p.m.

Despite the breathtaking rate of development in Formula 1 and other racing series, it has taken a lot of time to understand that safety belts can save lives. Although helmets and overalls were stipulated by Formula 1's governing body, as far back as the early '60s, safety belts have only been compulsory features in a Formula 1 car since 1972.

http://formula1-dictionary.net/safety_seat_belts.html

It looks like they may not have had seat belts in a 1963 Lotus Formula 1 car, or in my 1968 McLaren. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/2/20 4:22 p.m.

Starion For me. 

that said - we should give the award to Zach. No one else comes close 

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/20 4:25 p.m.

BenSwen's Volvo touring car

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/2/20 4:29 p.m.

By the way, folks - there are TWO classes to pick winners for:  Racecars and Replicas.

In reply to Snowdoggie :

Thanks for the info!

My Best Of Show I think goes to Turner's Lotus.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/2/20 4:53 p.m.

The station and the petty car caught my eye the most, but that is absolutely based on my personal preferences to the vehicle. 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/2/20 7:37 p.m.

Can you use a shot that shows the license plate? Especially the front as I had to remove the grill from the bumper ( it was a single piece) and Don's car has no grill.

Best in Show? The Subaru Rally car. Also for racecar.

I will abstain from voting in replica obviously. Conflict of interest and all.

Awesome work by ALL!

9/2/20 7:39 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

You got it!

9/2/20 8:03 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

You got it!

Thank you. 

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/20 8:31 p.m.

Racecar: TurnerX19's Lotus

Replica: Javelin's Impala

Claff
Claff Reader
9/2/20 8:34 p.m.

Abstaining from replica voting since I am a participant

I'm going to cast my race car vote to Saron81's Goodwrench Monte Carlo. From the progress pictures I knew it was going to turn out badass and it did not disappoint. I want to build another Monte SS myself seeing that.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
9/2/20 9:08 p.m.

All great stuff here.  Since we're supposed to be "picking" here:

Racecar - Lotus.  

Replica - Impala.  

Best of Show - Lotus.  (Assuming you can win more than one category.   If you can't, Best of Show - Lotus, Racecar - Subie)

I'd be happy to put any of them on the shelf.  

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/2/20 10:15 p.m.

The Avanti is flat out disqualified per the rules, and by the builder. I did finish it, and it does now have what little you can see of the plug wires, but it is no longer an accurate replica of the real car I pictured. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/2/20 10:37 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

There is a build thread with many more photos of the Lotus in the main contest thread in the off topic subforum. I detail there why this is built specifically as the 1963 British GP car of Jim Clark. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/2/20 10:40 p.m.

My votes repeated her as posted in the original thread; Replica Jeep, race car Subaru.

imgon
imgon HalfDork
9/3/20 6:28 a.m.

You guys do amazing work, I do not have the patience for all those fiddly little pieces. They all looked really good but Zach's WRX gets the vote for best of race cars for great detail and presentation, the Starion was a close 2nd. Javelin's  Impala gets the nod in replica's class, mostly because I just love the lines of Impala's. Both real and model are great looking.  

9/4/20 4:07 p.m.

Get your votes in!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/5/20 11:58 a.m.

Bump

9/5/20 12:06 p.m.

1:1 meet 1:25