Treb
Treb New Reader
10/18/08 5:12 p.m.

Yesterday, it worked fine; today, I turn the key in the drivers doorhandle of my 95 Jetta ... and nothing happens.

No resistance at all; the key moves smoothly...but to no effect.

Ideas/suggestions?

Thanks Matt

noisycricket
noisycricket New Reader
10/18/08 6:46 p.m.

The VW doorhandle was designed to be installed in about 3 seconds on the assembly line.

You remove one (1) screw in the doorjamb, and sometimes but not always one (1) screw towards the front of the doorhandle. It just pulls out, no need to get into the doorpanel. It doesn't actually attach to anything, it just has little levers that push on other levers in the door.

What I am guessing happened is that the part that screws on the end of the lock cylinder came loose.

What is scary, is that it is super easy to break into a VW, just knock off of the handle and then push the internal levers with your finger.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
10/18/08 7:24 p.m.

On a '95 Jetta there is only one screw. It's a bit more of a PITA if you have central locking, because there's a couple of wires that need to be unplugged for complete removal. But even if you have central locking, you should be able to pull it out enough to tell what's wrong with the lock without taking the interior panel off.

Treb
Treb New Reader
10/18/08 8:29 p.m.

I pulled it off -- well, halfway off -- earlier tonight.

Undid the screw, pushed it forward, pulled out. Couldn't get it all the way out -- apparently you need to pull it out halfway, then turn the key? By the time I read the Bentley manual, it was getting dark out.

Anyway, I was reluctant to just start poking around since it's got electrical and vacuum systems in there too... but I guess since the problem is on the mechanical end, I'll start poking around tomorrow.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/20/08 6:22 a.m.

Remove key, replace car!

There are common parts that fail on the end of the key tumbler.

Treb
Treb New Reader
10/21/08 6:06 p.m.

Yeah, it's the pot-metal bit on the end of the lock cylinder. Broke right where it attaches to the lock.

Looking at the piece, not surprised to hear that it breaks a lot!

Matt

Treb
Treb New Reader
10/23/08 8:50 p.m.

I looked up the piece I need on 1stvwparts.com, because they seem to be a good reference. #7 on the diagram below -- I think they list it for under $2.00.

So I went to the local dealer, because it's not worth paying shipping on a part so cheap. The dealer shows me the redesigned piece, which is stronger -- but doesn't fit the existing lock hardware. So they'll sell me a kit -- parts 2-7 on the diagram. $57 plus the cost of re-keying the new lock tumbler.

Contemplating other options...

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
10/23/08 9:10 p.m.

autohausaz.com has the whole handle assembly with the bit you need for under $20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XpLCkvdchgqyoRJZK06riCW7cTYxIhzuzOoSq0x6pmLLsFA3T28w3eRuYbCZlBoO