1 2
STM317
STM317 UltraDork
8/22/19 7:08 a.m.
HFmaxi said:

They cite poor sales but the wagons sell nearly as well as the GTI and better than the beetle. Oh well.

They're killing the Beetle too. The GTI shares all of it's expensive sheetmetal/glass/interior trim with lower trims of the Golf so the cost is spread out. On the wagons, most everything behind the  rear doors is unique which has to be fairly expensive for a niche product.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/22/19 7:32 a.m.

My ex- heard this news awhile ago.  She has a Golf Alltrak wagon with a 6 spd manual that she likes, but was pondering getting a "last year" model since it may be the last new car she buys for awhile.  She tends to keep cars for a long time. 

I agree with the comment above - here in NH there are a ton of VW wagons running around.  Far more than I usually see at home in PA.  Really makes me wish I had my Mk IV TDi running to drive up here.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
8/22/19 8:35 a.m.

In reply to codrus :

Well that's pretty.

Here I am trying to get rid of AWD in my BMW wagon and everyone else is throwing AWD on everything.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/22/19 9:06 a.m.

I think too it has a bit to do with having to certify the Mk8 that they are about to release. It's not as though they will not have a Mk8 wagon globally, They just don't want to certify it for the US. It's a shame but maybe that will keep the resale of mine up if I ever decide to sell while probably won't be till after the warranty is expired since it's all paid for now. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/22/19 9:12 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

yeah that's them.  Drove by the other day.  Well a few times recently.  Rideshare driving is weird like that.  I was thinking about the new Versa but the dealer nearby which I rent my current '18 Versa doesn't have them yet.  I'm almost sure an SV or similar Versa would not be very much cheaper OTD than your price for the VW. 

I might take you up on the contact info. at some point.  cool

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/22/19 9:16 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

I think too it has a bit to do with having to certify the Mk8 that they are about to release. It's not as though they will not have a Mk8 wagon globally, They just don't want to certify it for the US.

That's exactly why the US never got the second-gen TSX wagon in a manual - it required a separate certification, despite being 99.5% identical to the automatic version.  And it's why we never got the first-gen TSX wagon at all, despite the fact that the Euro Accord platform had a wagon version already.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
8/22/19 9:31 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Instead, we get the berkeleying Accord Crosstour.  indecision

Thanks, Honda.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/22/19 9:39 a.m.
FuzzWuzzy said:

In reply to Duke :

Instead, we get the berkeleying Accord Crosstour.  indecision

Thanks, Honda.

Yeah. angry  But I blame the American car-buying public too.  angry

It's a chicken-and-egg thing.  That crap is what manufacturers build because that crap is what the public buys.  But they buy it because that's what manufacturers build.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g5nAqlB8ts4seXO0NuIUivSeMMQXO8ECOPF69tzh0VpFYzPSBvmwkwq1aG8yIbQN