NY535iManual
NY535iManual New Reader
Sept. 22, 2014 12:26 p.m.

Collective -

A couple of months ago for family use and occassional commuting purposes I picked up a 2003 Volvo XC70. The car is remarkably clean for a North East car. (Along with the car the PO gave me $25,000 in DEALER receipts - She is a Princeton math professor, so anything broken, however minor, got fixed.)

Awesome ride, but I hate hate hate the 7 year old Michelin Symmetry all seasons. They are "Low Rolling Resistance" tires, which translates into a crappy, noisy ride. Even if they didnt suck so bad, by age alone they need replacement.

The size is 215/65-16, which is mostly a light truck size and limits tire options a bit. My wife will drive about 4-6k miles per year on the new tires, with kids in the back etc., in all kinds of weather. I am more focused on wet weather traction and ride comfort than cost or mpg. Any suggestions for a new suit of shoes?

Thanks!

Duke UltimaDork
Sept. 22, 2014 12:42 p.m.

Continental DWS. Available in your size, quiet, pretty solid dry traction and feel, absolutely stellar wet-weather ability, and darn good in snow.

[edit] Dang. Not available in your size after all. They are available in a 225/55/16. Should fit OK on the stock wheel width. It's about 4.7% smaller in circumference, though - indicated speed will be almost 5% above actual speed. Revs will be about 5% higher at cruise, too.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS&partnum=255WR6ECDWS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

[edit 2] There are a few items from Yokohama in 225/60/16 that may be good - Advan S4s are about buck and a quarter each in that size. That would be less than 2% away from the OE circumference.

Mmadness
Mmadness HalfDork
Sept. 22, 2014 1:14 p.m.

Check out the General Altimax RT. It is a highly rated tire that is selling for a great price right now!

If you do swap tire sizes, you may have to shim the steering stop limiter on the control arms or buy a new one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

25 Project Path

3 hours ago in Articles

A walk through 25 of our favorite project cars from the past.

A New Heart for the Turbo Miata

3 hours ago in Project Cars

We swap a fresher engine into our Miata.

Dirt Track Sim Racing Comes to iRacing

4 hours ago in News

Who wants to go sling some virtual dirt?

Making a Solid Rear Axle Perform

1 day ago in Project Cars

Solid axles get a bad rap.

2017 Acura ILX

1 day ago in New Car Reviews

Acura's ILX is a direct competitor with it's cousin, the Honda Civic. The Acura badge typically signifies a slightly more ...

Deal of the Month: GRM Sticker Kits for Just $19.95

1 day ago in News

Fresh stickers for a fresh season.

On All Fours

2 days ago in Articles

Audi’s Sport Quattro was a winning rally weapon in the ’80s and remains a shockingly powerful highway cruiser today.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Enviate Hypercar

3 days ago in News

There’s fast and there’s FAST–and then there’s this thing.

Join the Grassroots Motorsports Dyno Day

6 days ago in News

Join us for a dyno day in Sterling, Virginia.

From the GRM Vault: The Art of Understatement

1 week ago in Articles

The Harvey brothers dominated autocross in an obsolete Datsun a couple decades ago.

2017 Volkswagen Golf TSI SE

1 week ago in New Car Reviews

The quintessential European hatchback continues to pour out of Volkswagen's plants. Our test car featured four doors, a turbocharged 4-cylinder ...

We're Giving Away a $500 Race Ramps Certificate

1 week ago in News

Joining the drawing is totally free.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
aPTGu6aC6zeipusKpL6F29XuxHkoFJHm