NY535iManual
NY535iManual New Reader
Sept. 22, 2014 12:26 p.m.

Collective -

A couple of months ago for family use and occassional commuting purposes I picked up a 2003 Volvo XC70. The car is remarkably clean for a North East car. (Along with the car the PO gave me $25,000 in DEALER receipts - She is a Princeton math professor, so anything broken, however minor, got fixed.)

Awesome ride, but I hate hate hate the 7 year old Michelin Symmetry all seasons. They are "Low Rolling Resistance" tires, which translates into a crappy, noisy ride. Even if they didnt suck so bad, by age alone they need replacement.

The size is 215/65-16, which is mostly a light truck size and limits tire options a bit. My wife will drive about 4-6k miles per year on the new tires, with kids in the back etc., in all kinds of weather. I am more focused on wet weather traction and ride comfort than cost or mpg. Any suggestions for a new suit of shoes?

Thanks!

Duke UltimaDork
Sept. 22, 2014 12:42 p.m.

Continental DWS. Available in your size, quiet, pretty solid dry traction and feel, absolutely stellar wet-weather ability, and darn good in snow.

[edit] Dang. Not available in your size after all. They are available in a 225/55/16. Should fit OK on the stock wheel width. It's about 4.7% smaller in circumference, though - indicated speed will be almost 5% above actual speed. Revs will be about 5% higher at cruise, too.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS&partnum=255WR6ECDWS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

[edit 2] There are a few items from Yokohama in 225/60/16 that may be good - Advan S4s are about buck and a quarter each in that size. That would be less than 2% away from the OE circumference.

Mmadness
Mmadness HalfDork
Sept. 22, 2014 1:14 p.m.

Check out the General Altimax RT. It is a highly rated tire that is selling for a great price right now!

If you do swap tire sizes, you may have to shim the steering stop limiter on the control arms or buy a new one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

From the GRM Vault: Our First Drive of the Original BMW M3

2 hours ago in Articles

We tested BMW's E30-chassis M3 back in 1989. Here's what we thought.

Follow Us to the Nürburgring

4 days ago in News

Follow along as James Clay from BimmerWorld contests his first ADAC Zurich 24-Hour race at the Nürburgring.

Shark Bite: Back in 1997, Hyundai Was Into Rally

4 days ago in Articles

A Hyundai Tiburon as a rally car?

You Need This: Mazda RX-7 Turbo II Roller

4 days ago in News

What would you do with an empty RX-7 tub?

Great Moments in $2000 Challenge History: Minor Gasser

4 days ago in Articles

Here's what happens when you put a Chevy 350 in a Morris Minor.

What’s the Soonest That You Have Raced Your New Purchase?

5 days ago in News

This BMW M3 was wearing numbers 24 hours after getting registered.

You Need This: 2005 Lotus Elise

5 days ago in News

A Lotus Elise looks so right in British Racing Green.

2017 Mazda MX-5 RF

5 days ago in New Car Reviews

We're big fans of the Mazda MX-5. Now Mazda went and put a retractable fastback on their fourth-generation car. So, ...

Project Ramp Truck: Installing Sound Deadening

6 days ago in Project Cars

Time to cut down on heat and road noise making its way into the cab.

Eric Foss Sets Fastest Time Ever at the Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge

6 days ago in News

47 of the country's fastest cars battled it out for track supremacy.

Who Wants to Design the Next GRM T-Shirt?

6 days ago in News

Blipshift is involved, so you know that it will be cool.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Improving Upon the Ultimate Driving Machine

1 week ago in News

This E36-chassis M3 just keeps getting better.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
lJL6NlaxfSVstDpy3yiURo5OQjvT2fFd