98Blazer
98Blazer New Reader
5/19/08 2:20 p.m.

How do you guys deal with waiting for parts?

I'm waiting for my QA1 coilovers to get here so I can finally ditch my stock Torsion bar suspension. Adjustable height, progressive springs, and at least 70lbs weight reduction makes me do this :omg: against the window anytime I think I hear a UPS or DHL truck.

In the meantime I've been distracting myself with sealing the front end (weatherstripping in between headlights/turn signals, etc.), has anyone else done this with noticeable success/results? Alot of the reason I'm doing it is just for cleanliness of looks and hopefully to force more air into my air intake areas.

Who in here has fabbed a heatshield for their car? I made one out of plexiglass but I need something more flexible, any ideas?

walterj
walterj New Reader
5/19/08 3:07 p.m.

I've seen it on budget racecars that do it with Great Stuff expansion foam and then shave it to shape. Thought it was a cool idea as long as you never plan to remove those parts.

carson
carson New Reader
5/19/08 3:21 p.m.

I deal with waiting for my new suspension to arrive by driving around on my worn out suspension. Are your parts backordered too? It's my fault though, sort of. I waited for my stimulus check to arrive to order rather than order, then replenish the account with the check.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
5/19/08 3:25 p.m.

I ordered some Tokico Illuminas for my Miata, only to discover they would be out of stock everywhere until at least mid June. During that waiting period, I ordered some KYB's and canceled the order on the Tokicos.

I used the delay in getting my new suspension as an excuse to why I sucked at my last auto-x.

carson
carson Reader
5/19/08 3:34 p.m.
Salanis wrote: I ordered some Tokico Illuminas for my Miata, only to discover they would be out of stock *everywhere* until at least mid June. During that waiting period, I ordered some KYB's and canceled the order on the Tokicos. I used the delay in getting my new suspension as an excuse to why I sucked at my last auto-x.

I'm wainting for the Illuminas too! FM emailed me and said they're projecting end of May now.

Let me know how you like the KYBs just in case I need to make the same move.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
5/19/08 3:39 p.m.
carson wrote: I'm wainting for the Illuminas too! FM emailed me and said they're projecting end of May now. Let me know how you like the KYBs just in case I need to make the same move.

When did you talk to them last? I spoke with FM about my order on Friday, and was told Mid-June or later. But that the KYBs were in-stock and would ship today (but my credit card hasn't been charged yet).

I'll let you know what I think. I know that I'm saving $100 and that I'm not a good enough of a driver to likely notice any difference.

carson
carson Reader
5/19/08 3:44 p.m.

They emailed me Friday about 6 or 7 pm eastern time. The email was short and sweet and said:

Carson, The shocks are due the end of May.

I ordered the kit that comes with the rear shock mounts and the email confirm makes it look like those are back ordered too. I just noticed that.

carson
carson Reader
5/19/08 3:46 p.m.

I guess to be fair, June is at the end of May...so is July and August.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/19/08 4:56 p.m.

What you guys aren't sharing is what your your cars are :) The NA shocks will be here "end of May", the NBs "end of June" according to Tokico.

The rear shock mounts are waiting for bumpstops, we'll have those soon.

carson
carson Reader
5/19/08 5:00 p.m.

Oh, haha. That makes sense. Mine's a NA. I think Salanis also has a NA if I remember correctly from the old board.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
5/19/08 5:15 p.m.

Yeah, I have an NA as well. A '94.

edit: Just called to confirm that I gave the correct year info. I did. Got told "Late June" on the Illuminas for the NA, again. My KYB's have already shipped though. I must be getting on people's nerves with how many times I've called.

98Blazer
98Blazer New Reader
5/20/08 9:29 a.m.

So they came today, and like most things I try to buy for my car they are the 2WD style!:evil:

Such is the curse of trying to race a unique car, hopefully Ill get the right set by the end of the week.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/08 10:36 a.m.

Well, I need to find out who's giving out incorrect information here!

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
5/20/08 10:50 a.m.

I have no clue whether you, or the folks on the phone are wrong.

I got the same story from both a guy and a gal on your phone end. I spoke with the gal when I ordered my KYBs. I'm horrible with names. I want to say "Kristin" or something like that, but I'm probably thinking of a gal from dancing the other night. :whatthe:

carson
carson Reader
5/20/08 5:15 p.m.
Keith wrote: Well, I need to find out who's giving out incorrect information here!

My email was from Tami telling me the NA shocks would be in by the end of May

To 98Blazer:

Sorry we completely hijacked your thread. Hope the correct coil-overs come soon.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin New Reader
5/20/08 5:20 p.m.

I placed an order for coil-overs in mid summer '06. Received them in October '07. The wait was painful.

carson
carson Reader
5/20/08 6:28 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: I placed an order for coil-overs in mid summer '06. Received them in October '07. The wait was painful.

Huh, suddenly the end of May or even June doesn't feel so bad.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yTRQgeV20mVBNBGbwvvn15nZx3mBER0AUVSqrz0teE8tdvpu1jlIMgVMGJSUUy1n