Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/14/12 8:22 p.m.

Here are some good how to videos from a UK company.

http://www.carbonfiberdiy.com/

I'm considering making a fiberglass hood for the Abomination and ran across these. I thought I would share.

Toyman01
10/14/12 8:28 p.m.

They also have some other videos here.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/14/12 8:37 p.m.

Don't forget the DIY article on theturboforums.com too.

The biggest PITA I have found is making your plug then making a transfer mold from that.

Toyman01
10/14/12 8:58 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

So, that link redirects to Arabs.com ???

Now the feds are going to lock me away for life.

I was going to use the original hood as the plug to pull the mold from.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/14/12 9:04 p.m.

http://www.theturboforums.com/PBcarbonfiber.php

proper link.

Toyman01
10/14/12 9:14 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

Thanks!

Protege2886
Protege2886 Reader
2/25/13 2:46 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Ranger50: So, that link redirects to Arabs.com ??? Now the feds are going to lock me away for life. I was going to use the original hood as the plug to pull the mold from.

Son of a... I wish I had read that first. Just clicked the same link. Now work is going to deport my backside back to Canada.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
2/26/13 1:33 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Don't forget the DIY article on theturboforums.com too. The biggest PITA I have found is making your plug then making a transfer mold from that.

You should be able to pop a good mold off a freshly polished hood after 4 coats of wax and some PVA. The PVA is water soluble, so once you get a plastic demolding wedge in, squirt the water in.

~pop~

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/26/13 2:27 p.m.

I watched those videos, they helped me understand why CF stuff is so expensive.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/26/13 3:46 p.m.

I've never seen the process of injecting the resin under vacuum. Usually I see it rolled out and then bagged. Seems unncessarily complicated.

Toyman01
2/26/13 4:59 p.m.

I've rethought this. If I do it it will be for the Abomination. A Spitfire hood weighs a ton. The finish doesn't have to be perfect so rather than pulling a mold and then making the part, I was thinking of just laying up a couple of layers of cloth with resin on the original hood and using that as the finished product. Throw a little reinforcing on the inside and done. Yes, it will have the cloth pattern, but it really doesn't matter. It doesn't have to be perfect, just light.

ronholm
ronholm Reader
2/26/13 5:13 p.m.

Those videos are pretty interesting. And with the products to do exactly what is shown in the video right there on the sidebar

They nearly got me.

bikerbenz
bikerbenz New Reader
2/26/13 7:27 p.m.

Those videos are a complete turn-on. Now I know what I will be dreaming about tonight.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7N2ljKLJ9MXfVABtqx8nKXnczyGbLQJwp8OjVvvkqvuaU3FmU77xl6jpm3mRsg5X