1 2
irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/13/15 9:25 p.m.

We’re only 6 weeks away from the beginning of the WDCR SCCA 2015 RallyCross season! This season we’ll be back at the huge venue in Frostburg, MD where we ran last year. The hilltop location has a ton of space so we’re able to build big, fast, fun courses that are more reminiscent of stage rally than autocross (except with no trees to hit!).

Last year was a lot of fun and we had a number of highly-competitive classes in AWD, FWD, and RWD setups. This year we should have even more competitors out, and with another year of experience at the venue, groundskeeping, and course prep we can expect to have a lot of runs and seat time (a typical single-day event usually has well over a dozen runs, compared to the 3-4 you get at an autocross!)

So, we hope to see you out there for our events this season. Season memberships will be available as well, for those who plan to run most/all of the events. Here’s the schedule (some events subject to change, but this should stay pretty close), and more information on the program and useful links below that:

March 29 - Event 1 May 3 - Event 2 May 31 - Event 3 June 27-28 - Event 4 (Twilight schedule Saturday & also Divisional Challenge Points Event) August 1 & 2 - Drivers School / Test-Tune & Event 5 September 13 - Event 6 October 11 - Event 7 November 8 - Event 8

Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/wdcrrallycross

Official Washington DC Region SCCA site: http://www.rallyx.wdcr-scca.org

Yahoo Discussion Group: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/wdcprorally/

READ THE RULES! SCCA Rules and Classing info: http://www.wdcr-scca.org/Default.aspx?tabid=90

What's RallyCross? It's racing on dirt, gravel, grass, and sometimes mud on a course defined by cones. Each run you make counts towards the final results, and the conditions often change throughout the day, challenging drivers to be fast but also stay consistent.

Is this like Stage Rally or X-Games? Kind of- but without the high risk of danger and damage. This is rally but for street cars too. RallyCross courses are designed to avoid hitting trees, flipping your car, or crashing into a ditch. There are no gap jumps, stream crossings, or cliff-sides.

Can I do this with my car? YES. Pretty much any car at or near stock height can do it, as long as you don't mind getting it dirty.

Will my car be damaged? Not if you drive within your's and your car's limits. Your suspension will get a workout, and your car will get dirty.

Does my car need to be modded or “set up" for rallycross? No. Any car can run, and any car can win. You just need to hone your driving abilities. You will need a helmet. You don’t need a roll cage, race seat, fire suit, or other expensive safety device. They loan helmets too.

Where is the racing? The Washington DC Region of SCCA currently holds all of their RallyCross events in Frostburg, MD.

Will there be scantily-clad car girls who will let me take pictures of them leaning against my car? Not unless you bring them!

How do I find out more? Feel free to come to one of our events to specate. Most drivers are happy to give ride-alongs too. Rallycross events are laid-back where everyone is friendly and eager to chat about the sport.

Email Adam the chair of the DC RallyCross program with any questions or comments: rallychair@wdcr-scca.org or join the Yahoo group to get email updates on what’s going on!

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
2/13/15 9:38 p.m.

Did anything come of the former country club site? I was serious when I said that I would travel to rip up a golf course.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/13/15 9:44 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Did anything come of the former country club site? I was serious when I said that I would travel to rip up a golf course.

With some legal and neighbor situations involved, I think the decision was made that we really didn't want to get SCCA in the middle of that kind of dispute. So no, didn't go anywhere as far as I know.

The Frostburg site is a good venue overall, if a bit far, and we have a lot of freedom as to how we use it, tons of room, etc. And now that we've been using a big grader to make courses, it's even faster out there :)

So come travel to rip up a former government site ;)

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
2/14/15 10:50 a.m.

Thanks for the update, I was just searching around to see if the venue had changed for this year. Hoping for something closer, but looks like i'll be making the 2.5 hour commute again. I attended one event last year in a C4 S4. This year I should have an E30 ready to go. Pumped!

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/14/15 5:42 p.m.
johnp2 wrote: Thanks for the update, I was just searching around to see if the venue had changed for this year. Hoping for something closer, but looks like i'll be making the 2.5 hour commute again. I attended one event last year in a C4 S4. This year I should have an E30 ready to go. Pumped!

Sweet!

Yeah, I hear you on the distance. I'm in Fairfax, so it's about 2.5hours for me as well. I mean really it's 2+ hours for almost everyone who goes there.

Hey, if you're gonna run an e30, be sure to join up on our FB page (if you're on there), and do a quick intro! What class are you going to run? MR is pretty much where everyone will be, except one ETA trying once again to take down Shawn in PR (now in a Miata instead of his worn-out RX7)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/449866455034268/

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/14/15 6:35 p.m.

In reply to HappyAndy: I'll message you when there's something scheduled there. There's a few things shaking for that location, nothing that will overlap with WDCR'S schedule so people can take part in both.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/14/15 6:41 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to HappyAndy: I'll message you when there's something scheduled there. There's a few things shaking for that location, nothing that will overlap with WDCR'S schedule so people can take part in both.

or you could post it up so the rest of us know about it ;)

I'm not on SCCA board or anything, so I don't mind pissing off golf course neighbors on a personal level ;)

captdownshift
2/15/15 12:25 a.m.

Will do :) I didn't want to step on the thread by promoting independent events but I'll share dates once finalized

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/15/15 10:38 a.m.

No worries. Promoting for SCCA because they're who is running rallycross for the most part these days - but I'm sure all of us are interested in other clubs that run as well. I think a bunch of us plan to run with Tarheel Sports Car Club down at VIR later this year as well, so we're not all hog-tied to SCCA only :)

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
2/15/15 11:43 a.m.
irish44j wrote: I think a bunch of us plan to run with Tarheel Sports Car Club down at VIR later this year as well

They require a rollbar for convertibles according to the TSCC website

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/15/15 1:28 p.m.
moxnix wrote:
irish44j wrote: I think a bunch of us plan to run with Tarheel Sports Car Club down at VIR later this year as well

Not as if you couldn't break out the rotary for one more go. Or depending on who goes, grab a co-driver gig (I may have a seat available, TBD).

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
2/15/15 2:35 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
captdownshift wrote: In reply to HappyAndy: I'll message you when there's something scheduled there. There's a few things shaking for that location, nothing that will overlap with WDCR'S schedule so people can take part in both.
or you could post it up so the rest of us know about it ;)

Yes, it would be better to just post the event here, the email address that my GRM account is linked to is obsolete.

Put something about ripping up a golf course in the thread title.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
2/15/15 3:21 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
moxnix wrote:
Not as if you couldn't break out the rotary for one more go. Or depending on who goes, grab a co-driver gig (I may have a seat available, TBD).

I decided not to go to it last year with the RX-7 because of the starting issues. I did not want to get there and end up being that guy having to bring the van around to restart the car when nobody there knows me and I end up holding up the event stalling on course or something,.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/15 7:26 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: Will do :) I didn't want to step on the thread by promoting independent events but I'll share dates once finalized

Moar events! Yayy!

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/15/15 7:37 p.m.
bluej wrote:
captdownshift wrote: Will do :) I didn't want to step on the thread by promoting independent events but I'll share dates once finalized
Moar events! Yayy!

I assume you haven't told Emily about the packed schedule yet? If so, you'd already be dead....

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure my wife is going to be happy to be rid of me for all those weekeneds, lol.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
2/19/15 1:28 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
johnp2 wrote: Thanks for the update, I was just searching around to see if the venue had changed for this year. Hoping for something closer, but looks like i'll be making the 2.5 hour commute again. I attended one event last year in a C4 S4. This year I should have an E30 ready to go. Pumped!
Sweet! Yeah, I hear you on the distance. I'm in Fairfax, so it's about 2.5hours for me as well. I mean really it's 2+ hours for almost everyone who goes there. Hey, if you're gonna run an e30, be sure to join up on our FB page (if you're on there), and do a quick intro! What class are you going to run? MR is pretty much where everyone will be, except one ETA trying once again to take down Shawn in PR (now in a Miata instead of his worn-out RX7) https://www.facebook.com/groups/449866455034268/

Yeah, oh well. After hearing they were looking for a new location I saw a slight glimmer of hope. No big deal.

No FB for me, or social media for that matter. I will certainly swing by the page and take a look. Not sure what class I will qualify for, I still need to look into this. It is an E car with a bone stock engine but some decent suspension mods. Not really concerned with competing this year, just hoping to learn and have a good time.

Looks like the Susquehanna region is around 2 hours north of me as well. They have 4 events planned this year so I will give them a run too. Hoping to pack this season with AX and RX...but I say that every year and have only made it to two events haha.

Looking forward to DC RX!

captdownshift
2/19/15 1:34 p.m.

I practiced in the illegal car some the other day for a few hours.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
2/19/15 1:50 p.m.

I want to get in on this again pretty badly, but can't let it cut into my stage rally budget... I'm very tempted to gut the Celica, add an LSD and get back in on the action. Of course, if they add a RallyMoto class I'll go to every event

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
2/19/15 2:09 p.m.
johnp2 wrote: It is an E car with a bone stock engine but some decent suspension mods. Not really concerned with competing this year, just hoping to learn and have a good time. Looks like the Susquehanna region is around 2 hours north of me as well. They have 4 events planned this year so I will give them a run too. Hoping to pack this season with AX and RX...but I say that every year and have only made it to two events haha. Looking forward to DC RX!

Sounds like PR. but if you want some slower competition just run in MR with Josh
If you have any AX questions I can help with those also. I have bit of involvement there also.

captdownshift
2/19/15 3:20 p.m.

it's tempting to go pick this up: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/4878634631.html to run until I'm finished my proper BG build

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/19/15 6:48 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: I want to get in on this again pretty badly, but can't let it cut into my stage rally budget... I'm very tempted to gut the Celica, add an LSD and get back in on the action. Of course, if they add a RallyMoto class I'll go to every event

Hell, why not. That car may actually do better at F-burg than it did at Summit anyhow, with the more open courses. Just do it!

Hear you on the budget....all of my planning is starting to include stage rally as well, looking toward next season and everything I need to buy for that (and you know well that the cars cost a lot more than the motos!).

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/19/15 6:49 p.m.
moxnix wrote:
johnp2 wrote: It is an E car with a bone stock engine but some decent suspension mods. Not really concerned with competing this year, just hoping to learn and have a good time. Looks like the Susquehanna region is around 2 hours north of me as well. They have 4 events planned this year so I will give them a run too. Hoping to pack this season with AX and RX...but I say that every year and have only made it to two events haha. Looking forward to DC RX!
Sounds like PR. but if you want some slower competition just run in MR with Josh

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/19/15 9:18 p.m.

Double :(

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
2/20/15 10:26 a.m.

national challenge event?!?! tempting.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
2/20/15 1:00 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: national challenge event?!?! tempting.

NEDIV is not doing a single winner take all national challenge event this year. They are doing a points series. http://www.nediv.com/rally-cross/2015-nediv-rallycross-series-schedule-results
http://www.scca.com/rallycross/content.cfm?cid=52274

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rkKvS1kEUsWifR7XdQQJvu0i0NCZo5BTYB8vA4y7qeRGoVBkVzJ1XpqnWE6Y8A3F