ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/19/18 2:27 p.m.

Is uncleared waterborne paint able to be washed off with water? 

Example: if it rained on your dried but uncleared car painted with water soluble paint, would it run off?

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
11/19/18 2:42 p.m.

Don’t believe so as the water is the solvent vs voc’s. Once paint is dried/cured, it would require a paint stripper to remove just like regular paint would.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/19/18 3:01 p.m.

I am pretty sure all house paint is now water based...

But yeah, painting something with enamel where it rains paint thinner does seem strange.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/19/18 3:08 p.m.

My son is in a collision repair class at school and was trying to tell me until the car is cleared, the paint can simply wash off with water.

I disagree 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/19/18 3:59 p.m.

Nope, not going to wash off:

Water-bourne paint still polymerizes the same as chemical paint is is just that water is used to make it "watery" enough to spray and self-level.

That said, since there is a clock running on how long you can wait to clear-coat the base coat. I cant see where water would ever be involved? Usually around 24 hours.

The constituents of paint

Paints contain:

• pigment(s) - prime pigments to impart colour and opacity
  • binder (resin) - a polymer, often referred to as resin, forming a matrix to hold the pigment in place
  • extender - larger pigment particles added to improve adhesion, strengthen the film and save binder
  • solvent (sometimes called a thinner) - either an organic solvent or water is used to reduce the viscosity of the paint for better application. Water-borne paints are replacing some paints that use volatile organic compounds such as the hydrocarbons which are harmful to the atmosphere.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zKdjTyJcwimVU7xvne4XTiEY9CcqhbWXv8t4DtluagTArvSq53KfzYIc8I0bRt57