1 2 3 ... 8
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
11/21/14 8:55 a.m.

Yes, you read that right. More specifically, we're adding a new event to our calendar: The Traqmate Skidpad Challenge aims to answer a simple question: how well does your car grip? Any car or modifications are allowed, and the winner is the car that produces the highest lateral G load, which we're naturally measuring with Traqmate equipment.

It all happens at the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta, and entry is free once you've made it through the Mitty's gates.

Who's in?

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
11/21/14 8:57 a.m.

I can't wait to see some of the contraptions that appear for this one. There really are no rules other than getting it through the Mitty gate? Sucker cars? Giant wings? Which direction around the skidpad in case someone wants to build a wildly offset car?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/21/14 8:57 a.m.

Is it winner take all? Classed? One or both directions?

Tom Suddard
11/21/14 9:00 a.m.

It will be classed–we're sorting through the details of that right now.

And you'll have to run in both directions. You didn't think we'd make it that easy, did you?

Yes, there really are no rules. Just make sure it's safe.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/14 9:14 a.m.

Who's going to build the jumbo-winged ground effect sucker car with super-wide tires and a wildly biased suspension setup that can be flipped back and forth between runs?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/21/14 9:15 a.m.

Whens the mitty?

Tom Suddard
11/21/14 9:22 a.m.

April 24-26.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/21/14 9:28 a.m.

oh I can snag an RSR for the weekend, 919 might be difficult (ok I'll be honest, I'm scared to death to touch the 919s)

Cactus
Cactus New Reader
11/21/14 9:32 a.m.

I think I've got a decent idea for this. It involves a pit bike, a lawnmower deck with reversed hovercraft skirts, and a 150 horsepower Artic-cat driven turbine...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/14 9:32 a.m.

I can finally dust off my 2G sucker car.

Tom Suddard
11/21/14 1:41 p.m.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
11/21/14 1:45 p.m.

Make a "Korean car" category and I'm in! lol

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/21/14 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

First thing I thought of

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/21/14 2:07 p.m.

This could be amusing.

I may be in.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
11/21/14 2:46 p.m.

Do you guys hate the the Midwest/NE? 14+ hour drive might be a stretch.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/21/14 3:11 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: Do you guys hate the the Midwest/NE? 14+ hour drive might be a stretch.

They are HQ'd near Daytona Beach, Florida. So you can pretty much give up on that idea, its been cussed and discussed for years (the closest we got was a West Coast Challenge that was a dismal failure)

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/21/14 3:13 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: Do you guys hate the the Midwest/NE? 14+ hour drive might be a stretch.

No we don't. Every year we travel to Road America, Lime Rock, Watkin's Glen and other places in the Midwest and NE.

It just so happens that every year we throw a massive automotive extravaganza in Atlanta called the Mitty. We don't hate any region---- it's just that Road Atlanta is a fantastic venue, and a perfect location for such a great event.

14 hours or not---- you should try to make it.......you won't regret it!

unk577
unk577 HalfDork
11/21/14 3:20 p.m.

I'm in.

Any rules against hammering a stake into the center of the pad and attaching a cable?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse New Reader
11/21/14 4:13 p.m.
unk577 wrote: I'm in. Any rules against hammering a stake into the center of the pad and attaching a cable?

What about fans pushing against the Cornering force? Lol

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
11/21/14 5:13 p.m.

Do the lateral g's need to be sustained or is instantaneous ok?

Article on the volvo.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
11/21/14 7:47 p.m.

Any chance of a sub $1000 class? I have a very terrible plan brewing.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
11/21/14 7:49 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote:

[threadjack] Did anyone from this crew show up at any subsequent Challenge? [/threadjack]

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
11/21/14 9:21 p.m.

So seriously, a plan is hatching but I know next to nothing about skid pad testing. How critical is power? The current plan would be a little low on the HP but there's an alternate strategy which would increase the very minimal effort I intended to invest in this but would double or triple the power output of the vehicle.

If power isn't that critical I'll stick with getting a lot of rubber under it and suspension mods and other bad ideas.

travellering
travellering Reader
11/21/14 9:32 p.m.

Will this guy be there?

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
11/22/14 5:45 a.m.
JThw8 wrote: Any chance of a sub $1000 class? I have a very terrible plan brewing.

Or a $2K Challenge car class? Rules are written. A second event for a purpose built car. Indirectly advertises the event. Thoughts?

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GrQLY9AIoGWVCcDjaObBsBDWlti2BZLrU4O94u8GXlWkGc8bI7LOjmewnSSDiMdn