1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/22/14 6:50 p.m.

Did you get that bug in the cobalt powered locost thread? Its the only.thing I can think.of with that little HP. Unless you.came.up with another vw thing.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
11/22/14 6:59 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Did you get that bug in the cobalt powered locost thread? Its the only.thing I can think.of with that little HP. Unless you.came.up with another vw thing.

Really the answer is as close as the classifieds section here, its not a huuuge secret :)
If I had unlimited funding I could make this interesting. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garrett-Jet-Turbine-Engine-Trans-for-VW-Bug-Porsche-914-Dune-Buggy-Sandrail-/301400010969

carbon
carbon Dork
11/23/14 9:02 a.m.
ncjay wrote: Go big or go home.

I used to own/drive one of those.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/2/14 7:00 a.m.

Any progress on the rules?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/2/14 9:17 a.m.

Are we turning left or right on the pan

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/2/14 10:22 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Are we turning left or right on the pan

Tom said both.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/14 3:15 p.m.

Everyone is going clockwise except for you.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/2/14 3:39 p.m.

Huge huge slicks, small motor, big wings. I'm guessing 3+ g's for the winner

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
12/2/14 3:41 p.m.
Wally wrote:

Don't say that. He'll bring Cliffords big brother........and were bringing a Miata.

Edit: I get the Aussie other side of the world toilets flushing backwards thing but the first thing my brain jumped to was all of us running at the same time and Clifford XL bowling through a bunch of tiny little challenge cars.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/2/14 4:21 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
Wally wrote:
Don't say that. He'll bring Cliffords big brother........and were bringing a Miata. Edit: I get the Aussie other side of the world toilets flushing backwards thing but the first thing my brain jumped to was all of us running at the same time and Clifford XL bowling through a bunch of tiny little challenge cars.

He already threatened mongo. I think Clifford xl is the least of.your worries

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/2/14 4:37 p.m.

Mongo can go clockwise, but he'll have to do it backwards!

kanaric
kanaric Dork
12/2/14 4:39 p.m.
travellering wrote: Will this guy be there?

that thing is awesome

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/2/14 5:04 p.m.

<a href=" photo sidecar_zps4c5dc8d7.jpg">

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
12/2/14 6:16 p.m.

Old skhool ?

GPDren
GPDren Reader
12/3/14 8:20 a.m.
JThw8 wrote: The above photo piggybacks off my question of power. I thought it would be as mndsm described where power is not as much an issue. But are the speeds achieved enough to even make a wing effective in such a competition? I have much learnin to do but its a cheap bad idea so it will at least be fun :)

I'm really wondering about the effectiveness of aero at skidpad speeds also. On a 200' 300' skidpad what kind of speeds would a steet car with sticky tires see and would that be fast enough for aero to come into play? At least in a measurable amount.

I think mechanical grip is the answer and aero won't be much, if any, of a factor (I'm talking street cars, not purpose built stuff). I really have no practical experience though and would love to hear from someone that does.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
12/3/14 8:51 a.m.

im picturing a dune buggy with an electric motor. mount a bunch of batteries underneath the frame in a metal case then put the case on sliders so that it can slide out from under either side of the buggy and a locking mechanism to hold it out under the side.

so before you hit the skid pad you can slide it out and lock it to the right if going clockwise and vice versa. a bunch of down low weight on the inside of the corner could make a huge difference. and being a dune buggy you can fit the widest tires money can buy

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/3/14 8:56 a.m.
edizzle89 wrote: im picturing a dune buggy with an electric motor. mount a bunch of batteries underneath the frame in a metal case then put the case on sliders so that it can slide out from under either side of the buggy and a locking mechanism to hold it out under the side. so before you hit the skid pad you can slide it out and lock it to the right if going clockwise and vice versa. a bunch of down low weight on the inside of the corner could make a huge difference. and being a dune buggy you can fit the widest tires money can buy

As noted over in the build threads section I am building a dune buggy for this. I did consider electric power and your battery tray idea is ingenious, but I'm trying to make this a very low buck build so I stuck with old tech instead.

This does give me an idea. Since any amount of weight transfer has to help, especially the 225 lb driver. And since Im using a center mount rack and pinion for steering that would be easily swappable side to side, if I can make a moveable pedal mount I could shift the driver from left to right depending on the direction of travel.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
12/3/14 9:10 a.m.
glueguy wrote: <a href=" photo sidecar_zps4c5dc8d7.jpg">

High speed, extreme dandelion picking.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
12/3/14 11:25 a.m.
JThw8 wrote: This does give me an idea. Since any amount of weight transfer has to help, especially the 225 lb driver. And since Im using a center mount rack and pinion for steering that would be easily swappable side to side, if I can make a moveable pedal mount I could shift the driver from left to right depending on the direction of travel.

or.....

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/3/14 11:27 a.m.

I'll probably bring the Civic just to see how it will do.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
12/3/14 11:32 a.m.

Can you please define "car"?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
12/3/14 12:46 p.m.

Also, are you measuring peak G's or time around skidpad calculated G's?

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
12/3/14 12:55 p.m.

Road and Track did this a few years back, maybe at the Solo Nationals? Anyway, I seem to remember a Lotus Elan winning it all, put up pretty impressive numbers if I remember correctly.

I think it's a great idea for the Mitty!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
12/3/14 1:26 p.m.

What is the maximum track width?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/3/14 8:58 p.m.

i was about to ask a really smart question, but i'll just keep it to myself and read the event coverage to see if anyone is as smart as i am.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i1nw3fEZteWSO9Tb6073JoMWm0q0CWD0gDald0CCVzsXYAGsOCTuIH3Grw5TOsgT