1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/3/14 9:59 p.m.

I want to see a giant airfoil stuck on the SIDE of a car. Swing it over from one side to the other depending on direction.

Or, just a really fat passenger in the back seat who switches sides.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/3/14 10:01 p.m.

I wanna drag one of the pigs I own out, but I just can't make themitty happen this year. Dammit.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/4/14 6:58 a.m.

Still curious about the rules...

The only thing I know is the date, and the likelihood that we will be going in both directions.

That's not enough info to build to.

???

unevolved
unevolved Dork
12/4/14 8:08 a.m.

This could be a pretty good event for a big-aero FSAE team. Magazine exposure? Might be enough to tempt some teams to make the trip.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/4/14 8:27 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Still curious about the rules... The only thing I know is the date, and the likelihood that we will be going in both directions. That's not enough info to build to. ???

First post said anything goes. Let's not get them to saddle us with rules now. I started a build based on the "anything goes" premise they proposed, rules complicate things.

So far we know, the date, travel in both directions, and anything goes....sounds like plenty to build to :)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/4/14 9:06 a.m.

In reply to JThw8:

Second post said it will be "classed", and "we're sorting out the details". Sounds like there are more rules.

I've started a build too, but have no intention of going too far until I have an idea of what the guidelines are.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/4/14 9:09 a.m.

I think there have been some reasonable questions asked which have not been answered which affect my build (or even desire to participate), such as "What are the classes?" and "Max G's or sustained?"

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/4/14 9:13 a.m.
SVreX wrote: I think there have been some reasonable questions asked which have not been answered which affect my build (or even desire to participate), such as "What are the classes?" and "Max G's or sustained?"

I agree many unanswered questions, I was just busting your chops :) I'm building what I want to build, they can put it where they want it. I have no intention of being competitive, I'm just coming for the circus.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/4/14 9:16 a.m.

Me too.

Fully intend to bring a circus act, regardless of rules.

But I will also be competitive.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
12/4/14 3:59 p.m.

I'd imagine it'll be scored based off of time, since that's the easiest way to calculate max average G's sustained. V^2/R and all that.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/4/14 4:10 p.m.
unevolved wrote: I'd imagine it'll be scored based off of time, since that's the easiest way to calculate max average G's sustained. V^2/R and all that.

I just assumed since it was the Traqmate Skidpad Challenge it was all being measured by the Traquemate equipment so no need to do timed measurements and all of that.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
12/4/14 5:41 p.m.

How much time before changing directions?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/4/14 6:25 p.m.
JThw8 wrote:
unevolved wrote: I'd imagine it'll be scored based off of time, since that's the easiest way to calculate max average G's sustained. V^2/R and all that.
I just assumed since it was the Traqmate Skidpad Challenge it was all being measured by the Traquemate equipment so no need to do timed measurements and all of that.

First post says measuring with Traqmate equipment.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
12/5/14 2:51 p.m.

Oh. So it does. Nevermind.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/5/14 7:45 p.m.

Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules! Rules!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/5/14 8:51 p.m.

That's a lot of rules. Just what I was afraid of.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/6/14 4:04 a.m.

Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes! Classes!

Pat
Pat HalfDork
12/6/14 10:56 a.m.

Most of us have no class...

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/6/14 1:52 p.m.

I can hopefully clear up a couple things:

1. Not Max G. Sustained. More precisely, lap time around the circle. Clocks will be at a set point, and lap times will be taken. Basically just like Road & Track did theirs. Cars will go both directions IN A SINGLE RUN. Basically a run will consist of a set amount of time on course. Say 60 seconds. You enter the hot zone, make some clockwise laps, then tun it around in the turnaround area and make some counterclockwise laps, or vise versa. When your time is up you clear the course for the next victim.

Discussion: The big question (which we haven't answered yet) is whether we take your winning time from your best laps of the day in each direction, or your best single session of the day. If someone has a car with crazy weight distribution that can be moved, but not quick enough to do it during a run, my feeling is that they should still have to take runs in both directions to show that the car is at least safe going the other way. Takeaway message: If you want to build a weight distribution ringer, it needs to either be changeable on the fly, or are enough to run in the opposite direction that it won't get you bounced on a safety (two wheels beyond about 20º may be enough for us to pull the plug on someone).

As for classes, figure on them to break down roughly along the lines of SCCA Solo Categories: Street, Street Touring, Street Prepared (r comps), street modified (anything goes r comps), prepared (slicks), modified (slicks, tube frames, formula cars), maybe super modified (modified + aero or other out-of-the-box thinking).

Not set in stone, so input is welcome and encouraged. Would that general class structure suit everyone. What do you want to build? We'd really rather have you worry about what you want to make than the rules

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
12/6/14 2:39 p.m.

I'd say we get a timed session and we are scored on highest total sustained g forces for 1 lap each direction. Set it up where we can get something like 6 laps each way plus turnaround time. The catch would be if a team wanted to use several laps of time adjusting something in the turnaround circle that's there choice.

Question: how long does a lap at 1g take?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/6/14 3:32 p.m.

With the 200' circle at Road Atlanta, you should be looking at 10-second laps roughly. We were thinking a 60-90 second clock per car. Basically enough to do a warmup, a flyer or two, a turnaround, a flyer or two in the opposite direction, then GTFO.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/6/14 4:57 p.m.

$2015 class should be mandatory

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/6/14 4:58 p.m.

is the circle painted, or is it marked with cones?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/6/14 6:21 p.m.

90 seconds per car- Do we get more that 1 attempt, or is it all or nothing in 90 seconds?

Are we at least saying production cars, or is it open to motorcycles, go karts, unicycles, and lawn mowers?

I certainly think there should be a class for Challenge cars, but would rather not restrict the budget. I intend to bring a $2014 Challenge car which is returning for 2015, but would like to add some things which will not be on it at the Challenge. Don't want to have to fool with the budget.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/6/14 6:24 p.m.

"SCCA classes" is not descriptive enough for me. I don't autocross very often, and have always struggled trying to figure out the darned SCCA classes.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oWoRqH5muyM357CVHLWLd7bCCRJ89messevvOz7waxyWD2FrMxZkBKRhosuKPlkL