1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/27/17 9:42 a.m.

Since its release about two years ago, Honda’s S660 has been the darling of the online world. After all, why shouldn’t it be? It promises everything wished for by today’s car-driving, internet-surfing enthusiast: mid-engine layout, turbocharged power, open-air motoring and small footprint. It even comes from Honda, a brand long-associated with fine products.

One small bit of reality: The S660 …

Read the rest of the story

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
9/27/17 12:02 p.m.

I want one if they make it the S1000.  My Insight also does 0-60 in something like 10 seconds.  It's acceptable for a 55 MPG car.  A mid engine sporty car, not so much.  How big is the frunk?

David S. Wallens
9/27/17 12:24 p.m.
Petrolburner said:

I want one if they make it the S1000.  My Insight also does 0-60 in something like 10 seconds.  It's acceptable for a 55 MPG car.  A mid engine sporty car, not so much.  How big is the frunk?

The frunk is big enough to hold the rolled-up top--and that's pretty much it. 

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/27/17 1:55 p.m.

I'd like it a lot more if it wasn't shaped like a bathtub.  I prefer doors that don't come up to my ears.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
9/27/17 3:16 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
Petrolburner said:

The frunk is big enough to hold the rolled-up top--and that's pretty much it. 

I know that it's stupid to compare new vs used, but with the lack of storage, I'd prefer to go with an MR2 Spyder.  Also, with the lack of storage in an MR2 Spyder, I'd prefer a Miata.  

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
9/27/17 3:36 p.m.

If I can only have 63HP and want something tiny, sporty with great mileage I don't have to pine for things I can't have.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
9/27/17 4:00 p.m.

Everybody is talking about how slow it is but the benefit with this and every other turbo kei car is that with a tune and sticky tires, this thing would be WAY more fun for very little more money. Can't do that with a modern Miata. * Save the turbo Fiat version I suppose.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/27/17 6:54 p.m.

Wow, does that thing look as hideous in person as it does in the lead pic? Please tell me there is a better angle. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/27/17 7:03 p.m.

But will it fit 15x10s?

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
9/27/17 7:05 p.m.

I would drive the wheels off that.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/27/17 7:18 p.m.

I want one. Dammit Honda. 

David S. Wallens
9/27/17 7:47 p.m.

It looked fine from behind the wheel. 

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
9/27/17 8:54 p.m.

I think the car looks fantastic from pictures.

It sounds like all it needs is a displacement doubling and a foot long stretch between the wheels.  So, you know, I should probably just go looking for a good MR-S.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
9/27/17 9:01 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

But will it fit 15x10s?

One way or another, anything is possible...

David S. Wallens
9/28/17 12:19 p.m.

The M&M version looks mean. Details here: https://www.mandm-honda.com/mm-honda-s660/

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Dork
9/28/17 1:37 p.m.

The article didn't answer the most important car review question: what are the chassis dynamics like? Cmon guys!

David S. Wallens
9/28/17 1:47 p.m.

It's from a museum collection, not a press car, so we couldn't beat on it--nor take it on track. For something so small and with such a short wheelbase, it rode better than expected. The chassis didn't feel choppy. Steering felt good if maybe a tad over-boosted. Shifter was spot-on. It doesn’t have much motor, but I don't see why it wouldn’t be fun at a track day--provided, of course, that you don't mind giving point-bys.

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
9/28/17 11:48 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote:

.... I know that it's stupid to compare new vs used, but with the lack of storage, I'd prefer to go with an MR2 Spyder.  Also, with the lack of storage in an MR2 Spyder, I'd prefer a Miata.  

Actually comparing the Beat (or Kei class car) to anything sold by an OEM in the US is almost pointless. The the pictures really don't convey how small a Kei vehicle is. Many  side by side ATV's  have bigger foot print. Kei is a very specific Japanese market niche created by Japanese regulations to address issues with Japanese infrastructure.  Most Kei cars are small vans, pickup tracks, and passenger cars that remind me of a 5/8 scale 1986 civic hatchback.  The Honda Beat adds a little sport while taking advantage of tax breaks.     

Brian
Brian MegaDork
9/30/17 7:58 a.m.

I'm just going to assume I won't fit so I don't pine over something I can't have for another 23 years. 

David S. Wallens
9/30/17 11:19 a.m.
Brian said:

I'm just going to assume I won't fit so I don't pine over something I can't have for another 23 years. 

That's probably not a bad idea. 

David S. Wallens
9/30/17 11:22 a.m.

Duh, I just thought of something: There is a way for you--yes, you!--to drive this very car. Each fall the Lane Museum hosts the Rally for the Lane. It's a fund-raiser where participants take the museum's cars on a rally.

Good news: This year, at least, the S660 was one of the cars available. 

Bad news: They host two rallies each fall; one took place last weekend, and next weekend's is sold-out.

Still, maybe next year?

Caleb
Caleb Reader
10/1/17 9:29 a.m.

K-cars don't really work in the American land scape but in Japan where the average speed limits range from 18-45mph and there are plenty of one lane roads they thrive. There are also cultural differences like most Japanese greocry shop every day and they don't road trip because plublic trans is so good

brianathasport
brianathasport
10/4/17 10:29 a.m.

I want a Beat right at the moment. And of course swap a B16 in it. In 15 years I'll want this one with one of the current turbo motors. Probably the 1.0L turbo. 

brianathasport

Rupert
Rupert Dork
10/6/17 10:07 a.m.
crankwalk wrote:

Everybody is talking about how slow it is but the benefit with this and every other turbo kei car is that with a tune and sticky tires, this thing would be WAY more fun for very little more money. Can't do that with a modern Miata. * Save the turbo Fiat version I suppose.

Yes I had a X-19.  It got a lot of jokes and soon lots of rust.  But you could drive an entire solo II course with the right pedal mashed & almost no use of the brakes either.  Just throw it into a curve at any speed, no matter how stupid, & it managed to get through it.  Of course you got a better time if you stomped the brake pedal to start turn-in.

As to the "modern Miata."  I have an '02 and I promise it is tons of fun for what one costs on the market today.  I bought mine new and still feel it's worth every penny.  In fact I was doing some curve bashing in it already this morning.

That big old Merc also in my picture?  It just sits 99% of the time.  NO FUN!!  Too heavy, huge body lean, average or less brakes, etc.  It reminds me of driving a Chevy.

Rupert

Rupert
Rupert Dork
10/6/17 10:10 a.m.

Hey David,

That picture of what appears to be a '85 CRX SI almost made me cry!  I truly loved mine!  I got stupid and sold it with 145,000 miles on it.  And both my wife and I loved every one of them.  A pizza delivery guy bought it and it had 225,000 miles on it when he sold it.  Had I known he was going to sell, I'd have bought it back!

Rupert

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CZiYaDRN6jqbbGfWakQBMGRKlRJBxvub67dWgrSLs5iHj3VF3raWVhhJxI2fdNSv