phillyj
phillyj New Reader
6/30/08 2:33 p.m.

is that thread still around in here? I haven't seen it and its a pain that there is no search button

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/30/08 2:43 p.m.

Philly, look up at the top of your screen.

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
7/1/08 9:55 a.m.

ok, found the search but wheres the weezly rabbit thread??

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/1/08 10:11 a.m.

If nobody brought it over -- I don't know if they did or not, but I don't think they did -- then it would still be on the archived board.

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
7/1/08 4:23 p.m.

oh, this sucks. it was my favorite build

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
7/1/08 10:43 p.m.

It is still going on over at VWvortex

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3348629

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
7/2/08 11:17 a.m.

yay. i don't know whose build this is, but it would be nice if they also posted some things here, as it is a challenge build. but only if you have time. This is on of the best builds I seen

Josh
Josh Reader
7/2/08 11:28 a.m.

This build was on the old boards. You remember, back when we used to have a readers' rides forum that was full of build threads with lots of pictures and detailed info and regular updates as the build progressed. Back before we got all "improved" on (you get one paragraph and one picture and YOU'LL LIKE IT!).

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/2/08 11:32 a.m.

Um, Josh, you can write as much as you like, and edit it later. And unlike the old system, the new one can be extended to do a lot more (and already has been, to some extent).

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/2/08 12:10 p.m.

Yup, the old board was more conducive to the constant updates on reader's rides and stream of ideas for reader's rides, now you can still do the same thing but you just do it in the GRM section. The Weezly Rabbit is definitely cool, I'm glad the updates are still flowing over at the vortex.

Bryce

vweezly
vweezly
7/2/08 1:30 p.m.

I am here... sorry yall. I have been slacking on any updates here. I wasn't able to login or anything so I just kept updating the thread on vortex. Soooo... Here is where I am at. I worked my ass off last month in preparation for the Eurowerks Car Show. I didn't sleep for 2 days the days up to the show. Wiring... undercoating... more wiring... fluids... double check... triple check... no start. I tried... but for the life of me could not get it to start for the show. I resoldered some MS jumpers and some incorrect MS wiring... and no go. As of right now: The stencils are almost finished... I just need to outline the passenger side numbers. The front lip is now easily bolted on. With the Bosch ICM I currently am sure that I have spark... I have fuel. The spark plugs have fuel on them when I pull one after trying to start it. My next thing to try will be a dizzy that I am sure works. I am about 3 butthairs away from being able to drive it... i can feel it. I took a couple weeks off aside from making sure the plugs were in the right order. My wife appreciated the ignoring of the car for a little bit :) I did too actually. I was heartbroken while at the show... without my car.

I have named the car... "DER TOT HASE" Which means... "The Dead Hare".
Aptly named because of the emblem I made for it... and because it didn't start when I needed it to.

Here is how it sits... I haven't posted pics of the stencils and stuff. I refuse to take more pics of the body until I get her runnin:

If there are any MS people out there who want to come troubleshoot stuff, let me know.

Again... Sorry for the lack of updates yall.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar Reader
7/2/08 2:02 p.m.

Glad to see that you're still plugging away, but sorry to hear about the misfortune. Like so many others have said, I love this project.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin New Reader
7/2/08 8:01 p.m.

sorry to hear about tour no start problem.

geomiata
geomiata Reader
7/7/08 3:59 a.m.

that was my fav thread on the old site for sure.

vweezly
vweezly New Reader
7/25/08 3:08 p.m.

Here's the deal... Had a friend over last night to troubleshoot megasquirt stuff with me. He leaned the start of the fuel map a bit and added more spark on start as well. We put the motor at top dead center. Made sure that the dizzy rotor was clean and aimed at #1 plug wire. Put the dizzy cap back on and as I dialed it (counter clockwise) the fuel pump actuated. It was dialed as far counter clockwise as the slots would allow. We tried to start it and ... IT COUGHED! The first time it has actually shown some sign of life.. albeit sickly We were able to replicate it 2 more times doing the same thing. So is the timing just wayyy off possibly. It is definitely getting spark. I that tested it with the strobe. As I was manually turning the crank to get it at TDC... the fuel pump actuated with each spark. Anyone know what I should try next? It's so dang close.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/25/08 3:12 p.m.

Have you been asking the guys at msefi.com?

Bryce

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
7/25/08 3:27 p.m.

Have you checked that you have the bolts in the correct holes for the distributor? There are two bolts and four possible holes, and if you choose the wrong two holes you won't be able to adjust in enough to run worth a crap.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/25/08 3:29 p.m.

Where is the timing at when you crank? Put the timing light on #1 plug wire. No "advance" on the timing light if it is one of those fancy ones. Set the MS for fixed spark at 10BTDC. Crank motor (plugs out optional) and turn dizzy until the timing flashes at 10 BTDC.

Yeah, msefi.com.

vweezly
vweezly New Reader
9/29/08 12:37 p.m.

Unfortunately I will have to make it next year. With work and everything and setbacks on the car... it just wasn't going to happen. Good news is... I have it running. All of the outside lights work. I have had to do all the wiring from scratch. Right now the big things are the brakes (which aren't working) and the tuning. I took the car for a drive down the street... it ran like crap in the low RPM. I had to use the e brake to stop which was fun :) I constantly update the vwvortex build site. So feel free to follow that if you want more info and whatnot. Sorry to disappoint all who were looking forward to seein the car there. It was a really hard choice to make. I didn't want to blow up the car on a halfass tune after spending so much time building it. Here is a bad cell phone pic after my little "run" :D

tuffburn
tuffburn New Reader
9/29/08 1:11 p.m.

i like the belts, very chic'

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/29/08 1:18 p.m.

damn. was really looking forward to seeing your ride. love the straps as well.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
9/29/08 4:41 p.m.

Folks who say the mid-late 70s were the "dark ages" for cars need to look at this and/or get their imaginations engaged.

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
10/1/08 4:40 p.m.

so no weezly this year? sucks. I bet you can get an article in GRM about the build though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wkBH3TWZHpEWXpICZbvcEQT2xK8VDJlN1noTJdriNKMaEyuK0gSXbLhSAmDcEk9M