1 2
MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
4/23/19 8:07 a.m.

I'm always surprised how much stock E36 M3's weigh. My 328i is 2882 in STX trim and 3/8 tank, with bucket seats, lightweight wheels, lightweight exhaust and no spare. Still have a stock battery and full interior, so nothing crazy with weight reduction.

Where in PA are you? I recognize your name from M3F

Obioban
Obioban Reader
4/23/19 8:16 a.m.
codrus said:
Obioban said:

How much gas in the tank here? Were you in the car or driverless? 

No driver, I don't remember the exact fuel level alas.  Somewhere in the middle of the range.

I don't think that's accurate enough to put it on the list, sadly. 

Obioban
Obioban Reader
4/23/19 8:16 a.m.
MINIzguy said:

I'm always surprised how much stock E36 M3's weigh. My 328i is 2882 in STX trim and 3/8 tank, with bucket seats, lightweight wheels, lightweight exhaust and no spare. Still have a stock battery and full interior, so nothing crazy with weight reduction.

Where in PA are you? I recognize your name from M3F

Currently right outside the town of Skippack. 

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
4/23/19 9:56 a.m.

In reply to Obioban :

Very cool. I'm in Bear, DE. Maybe I'll meet you at an HPDE this summer as I try and dial back autox and do more track days!

Obioban
Obioban Reader
4/23/19 10:09 a.m.
MINIzguy said:

In reply to Obioban :

Very cool. I'm in Bear, DE. Maybe I'll meet you at an HPDE this summer as I try and dial back autox and do more track days!

I've got two more this year-- this thurs/friday at NJMSP and then another there in May. 

My wife is due with our first kid on June 11, so not planning to do any events after that this year...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/19 10:12 a.m.

Do you want weights from other sources? I've got a few.

The scales and the dyno are the two great lie detectors of the automotive kingdom.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
4/23/19 10:22 a.m.

Kinda.suprised at weight of 911 carrera.  Must be a non sunroof with fiberglass fenders.

Keith Tanner
4/23/19 11:13 a.m.

Here's one to start. 1986 Mini on 12" wheels. Measured with a full tank of gas because that's the only repeatable condition. It's on 10" wheels now, I should check it again.

Obioban
Obioban Reader
4/23/19 11:36 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Here's one to start. 1986 Mini on 12" wheels. Measured with a full tank of gas because that's the only repeatable condition. It's on 10" wheels now, I should check it again.

Stock other than the wheels? How much gas does it hold?

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
4/23/19 11:51 a.m.

In reply to Obioban :

Which club do you go with? I'm not doing any in April/May cause I have my SCCA autox events May 3rd and May 17th, so I plan to start doing the track nights in June and beyond. NJMP is perfect for me since it's just over 1hr away

Keith Tanner
4/23/19 12:09 p.m.
Obioban said:
Keith Tanner said:

They were stock wheels. Right about 9 gallons for fuel capacity.

Manufacturer kerb weights are given fully wet, IIRC. Half a tank is a very arbitrary condition and adds a lot of potential error to the measurement, as most fuel gauges are not completely linear and you get into a lot of fudging. Full tank is easy to duplicate.

Obioban
Obioban Reader
4/23/19 12:13 p.m.
MINIzguy said:

In reply to Obioban :

Which club do you go with? I'm not doing any in April/May cause I have my SCCA autox events May 3rd and May 17th, so I plan to start doing the track nights in June and beyond. NJMP is perfect for me since it's just over 1hr away

Mostly PCA. Occasionally BMW CCA. 

Obioban
Obioban Reader
4/23/19 12:18 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Obioban said:
Keith Tanner said:

They were stock wheels. Right about 9 gallons for fuel capacity.

Manufacturer kerb weights are given fully wet, IIRC. Half a tank is a very arbitrary condition and adds a lot of potential error to the measurement, as most fuel gauges are not completely linear and you get into a lot of fudging. Full tank is easy to duplicate.

Full tank penalizes cars with large gas tanks in a non representative fashion (e.g. air cooled 911s have huge tanks). Either way, all the other cars on the list are corrected to half tank, so that's the standard of my list. 

Is the mini stock/full interior/AC/etc? 

Keith Tanner
4/23/19 10:41 p.m.

It’s close enough to stock to suit. The engine is built, but that doesn’t really change weight. It has a full Mini interior from another Mini. AC - no, because it’s a classic Mini and that’s not a thing they do. No PS either, for the same reason. But the windows roll down.

If you’re mathematically subtracting weight for fuel, then the distribution numbers will be a little funky.

Here’s another. 1985 Honda CRX Si. Stock other than a rear sway bar.  12 gallon tank filled to the brim.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
4/23/19 11:11 p.m.

My Datsun 1200 is 1762lbs with 142lb  my  portly self  in it. The 1500cc engine makes 99.6whp and the 1200cc engine is making  around 80, the 1171cc motor made 73whp

Ive got a race in 9  days and there are two well built minis in my class.....I'm likely  going to get a beat down.

Obioban
Obioban Reader
4/24/19 6:22 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Adding both cars to the list. M3Forum is down every morning, so waiting for that to come back online (as it handles sorting the list for me)...

Obioban
Obioban Reader
4/24/19 6:49 a.m.

List updated

Keith Tanner
4/24/19 11:00 a.m.

FYI, the CRX is an EC1 chassis, I believe. And the Mini is technically a coupe :)

I’ll have more in a bit. 

Keith Tanner
4/24/19 11:18 a.m.

No pictures, but here's data for some Miatas. All 100% stock down to the air in the tires, all with full fuel tanks.

Chassis code ND officially, known as ND1 by enthusiasts. 12 gallon tanks.
2016 Miata GT 2328 lbs
2016 Miata Club 2313 lbs
2017 Miata GT RF 2421 (went up to 2478 with turbo, exhaust, wheels, suspension, brakes)

Still ND, but known as ND2
2019 Miata GT-S RF 2430

2017 Fiat 124 Spider Classica (chassis NF) 2412

Some others.

1971 MGB GT LS1 (fully stock wink) 2376 lbs. 12 gallon tank

19?? Lotus Seven replica with Miata power 1311 lbs (yes, only 130 lbs less than the Mini despite having two fewer seats, no roof and no windows). No idea how big the custom-built tank is.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
4/24/19 12:24 p.m.

My daily driver X1/9 on Longacre scales with 1/2 tank, no driver, no A/C was 2190 stock, I have removed bumpers, most of sound deadening, stereo, lightened exhaust a lot. Now at 1986 with 1/2 tank. Not a whole lot more I can take outcrying

Obioban
Obioban Reader
6/24/19 7:25 a.m.

e39 530i MT, half tank

With spare tire/jack:

Without spare tire/jack:

Obioban
Obioban Reader
6/24/19 7:25 a.m.

M3 converted e46 wagon, half tank

With spare tire/jack/cargo net: 

Without spare tire/jack/cargo net: