Somebeach
Somebeach Reader
11/19/19 7:59 a.m.

So I am always shopping and looking for a deal on cars I would like to own. 

If you were choosing a fun car with maybe a little  autocross here and there. Would it be a RSX or a civic EF hatch? 

Also any tall people own either one in the past and if so how did you fit? 

seems like power goes to RSX and suspension goes to EF?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/19/19 8:13 a.m.

I'd take the EF- less E36 M3 to go wrong. Both are pretty good cars, but EF Civics are iron simple. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
11/19/19 8:58 a.m.

Well, it depends on what you're doing in your fun car I'd say. EF drives like an old Honda.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
11/19/19 9:28 a.m.

Owned 4 EF chassis. 

I would do a EF in a heartbeat over RSX 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/19/19 9:28 a.m.
accordionfolder said:

Well, it depends on what you're doing in your fun car I'd say. EF drives like an old Honda.

But it has the better suspension. Suspension alone would make me choose the EF. Stuff whatever engine in it that makes you happy and call it a day. 

aw614
aw614 Reader
11/19/19 9:59 a.m.

B series swapped EF > RSX Type S

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
11/19/19 10:59 a.m.

EF=EG=EK > any civic-based chassis between '01-'05.   

_
_ Dork
11/19/19 11:53 a.m.

Not to mention the budget for suspension stuff is   CHEEEAAAAAPPPP. You could deck out the suspension off eBay alone. Everything's already been sorted for you by predecessors online, so no math equations for damping or springs or geometry. 

Even the stock d15 has been well proven for endurance racing and turbos quite well. I would run a turbo d16 before I would swap a B series in. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/19/19 12:24 p.m.
penultimeta said:

3 legged pony with parkinson's> any civic-based chassis between '01-'05.   

Fixed for accuracy

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
11/19/19 12:56 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Ha. Yeah, for sure. When I was cross shopping new-to-me DDs about four years ago I had the opportunity to pick up a minty '00 Civic or '05 Civic for nearly the same price. I went for the newer model because newer and lower miles, but have regretted my decision ever since. The '05 is like a cockroach though, it just won't die.  

dps214
dps214 Reader
11/19/19 1:28 p.m.

I'd say it depends on what you want. If you want a car that's a good daily driver that's not completely boring to drive, then the newer car is almost always the correct answer regardless of what the brand/model actually is. If you want something that's tolerable on the street and half decent for autocross, then EF, unless you're willing to make the RSX rear suspension completely rigid. And even then the only class they were competitive in got killed because it was kinda dumb and dominated by cars nobody actually wanted to own or drive (RSX-Ss with 1200lb/in rear springs, for one).

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
11/19/19 3:44 p.m.

"Fun car with a little autocross thrown in", I'd do the best RSX you could find - the aftermarket has helped cure some of the ills.  It'll be more comfy for a DD/weekend car.  If it's autocross with a little fun driving, then EF.  I have an EK Civic that is my DD/fun car, and I miss some creature comforts of a modern car when not dodging cones.  I think an EF, unless a mint survivor, would get irritating after a while.  

ebelements
ebelements Reader
11/19/19 4:04 p.m.

RSX is going to be faster, but there's nothing like an EF Si. Super open greenhouse—windows feel like they're at your waist. It's just a hoot to toss around, go kart vibes for sure.  I also owned a first year Del Sol, and while not that different on paper from an EF civic SI, it just wasn't the same experience (B16 would have helped though, I bet). Either car will fit you just fine—I'm 6'4".

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/19/19 5:37 p.m.
penultimeta said:

In reply to bobzilla :

Ha. Yeah, for sure. When I was cross shopping new-to-me DDs about four years ago I had the opportunity to pick up a minty '00 Civic or '05 Civic for nearly the same price. I went for the newer model because newer and lower miles, but have regretted my decision ever since. The '05 is like a cockroach though, it just won't die.  

Yep. They will suck forever. 

Somebeach
Somebeach Reader
11/19/19 8:32 p.m.

Wow. Thanks for all the great input. By fun car I mean definitely not a daily driver, more of a grocery getter type car maybe driven once a week nice weather only. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
11/19/19 8:50 p.m.

What is your budget?

If you like the low belt line of the EF (I had Si hatch, EF Wagovan, EF EX Sedan), but want more modern, get the 95-01 GSR.  Personally, I don't like the RSX, just not my cup of tea.

But everything is budget dependant.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ukIitZtaKrcqxSf8Dp1bGtQ5UdV8eEZVH6yC2R2NdJkyM5MyCVQqbOoMiR6unryE