1 2
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/22/18 3:25 p.m.

So, i now own a 99 bmw 528i wagon.

Needs some minor work, because what used car doesn't?

The problem is that i know exactly jack E36 M3 about german cars. Google has just gotten me more confused, however that was before I had the car in front of me.

I guess the biggest questions are:

1. What scanner should i get? My obd2 Bluetooth scanner only gives generic codes, and id like something better. But still cheap. Maybe a laptop program and cable or something. 

2. What are the good bmw forums for these? Or is here it?

3. And good links to stereo install?

4. Any good links to seat repair?

5. Good link for window regulator repair?

Anything i should know at the start other than to expect higher parts costs and more intensive maintenance?

spandak
spandak Reader
7/22/18 3:36 p.m.

Bimmerforums had good info once you got past the kids asking about NOS. That was a few years ago though. I started on BMWs so working on them is pretty intuitive to me but I’ve heard people say that they are very frustrating if you come from other markets. It will make sense eventually and then most things are pretty straight forward. 

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
7/22/18 3:59 p.m.

I have the ECS Schwaben scanner, which is a Foxwell unit pre-loaded with BMW and ABS software. It's pretty comprehensive and covers most of the bases. I like the idea of a laptop setup, but I don't have an appropriate laptop lying around and don't feel like messing with getting it to work right, so I took the $200 easy option. Some people swear by Carly, but I know nothing about it.

If you do go over to Bimmerforums, the E39 forum isn't bad, but if you want detailed, reasonable answers to technical questions, the General Mechanical Help forum is where the pros tend to be.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/22/18 4:05 p.m.

I'd get a copy of the Bentley repair manual (I think there are two volumes of it for the e39.)

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy UltraDork
7/22/18 4:11 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

BMW newbie here too..... I'll be following along here, but don't have any good information to pass along.

Does this mean the Miata trade happened with justjim?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/22/18 4:23 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Barely Functional-Guy :

Yessir!

Is the Bentley manual available on CD? I guess that's a stupid question when I can just go on eBay and look. I tried registering on the dimmer forum and it never sent me a confirmation email

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
7/22/18 4:29 p.m.

YouTube

How to BMW _____?

I have a Bentley for the E92, helpful but I mostly use YT.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/18 4:35 p.m.

Pelicanparts.com has excellent tech info and repair guides.

FCPEuro gives lifetime warranty on everything they sell.

No one supplier has best price on everything.  Sometimes it's ECS Tuning, sometimes BavAuto, sometimes FCPEuro, and sometimes Amazon.  I'm not sure if Pelican ever has best price, but I buy from them occasionally because I use their tech info *all the time*.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/22/18 5:59 p.m.

Im seeing a bmw scanner 1.4 for around30 bucks. Does it work? Seems like its a good thing from the reviews, but i trust y'all more.

And anyone a member of bimmerforum? It never sent the activation email, but the request for che ge of password etc c9mes right through.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/22/18 6:32 p.m.

I don’t know about now that they’ve been sold, but Pelican has great tutes on their website. 

Let me look on the garage. I should have one of those airbag light reset tools I can let go for cheap. It might also scan codes for you. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
7/22/18 9:05 p.m.

E39s have some weird seal issues on the door windows. I forget exactly, but my friend had a hell of a time with his.

If you have working stock cupholders you have a unicorn worth millions.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
7/22/18 9:13 p.m.
buzzboy said:

E39s have some weird seal issues on the door windows. I forget exactly, but my friend had a hell of a time with his.

If you have working stock cupholders you have a unicorn worth millions.

I had my E39 for ten years and never had an issue with my window seals, and my cupholders were working perfectly when I sold the car last year. While utterly useless for holding cups, the cupholders can be used to effectively prop up a smartphone.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
7/22/18 9:55 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

They hold empty Dews great while you have a freshie in a huggy your lap.

Oh, and to Barely Functional, it really IS THE ANSWER

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/23/18 5:16 a.m.

I found sone seal deterioration, but nothing a junkyard run cant fix.

Keep the info coming yall!

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy UltraDork
7/23/18 7:45 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Is it challenge legal?

You know this is the year of the wagon right?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/23/18 8:06 a.m.

Well Berkley. 

Fired it up to run to the store tjis morning. Misfires, o2 codes, and a vacuum leak code. Time to really learn!

Jim had just replaced 02 sensors, the ccv, and some ither vacuum lines befir i took delivery. Its all on thw last 3 cylenders, so i know the issue it towards the firewall. Im guessing intake gasket. Other ideas?

Going to learn to speak german by total immersion!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/23/18 8:07 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Barely Functional-Guy :

Unfortunately my end of the bargain isnt. I am bringing the parking lot build Silverado back though, but its not eligible either

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
7/23/18 8:43 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Well Berkley. 

Fired it up to run to the store tjis morning. Misfires, o2 codes, and a vacuum leak code. Time to really learn!

Jim had just replaced 02 sensors, the ccv, and some ither vacuum lines befir i took delivery. Its all on thw last 3 cylenders, so i know the issue it towards the firewall. Im guessing intake gasket. Other ideas?

Going to learn to speak german by total immersion!

First off, don't trust the OBD2 codes. They are frequently misleading when it comes to properly troubleshooting BMW engine management. Prioritize getting a proper scanner - it will save you a lot of headaches.

The intake shares a common plenum over all 6 cylinders, so it's possible that symptoms of an intake gasket failure would be isolated to Bank 2, but I'd expect some impact on Bank 1 as well, especially at idle. A smoke test would be a good first step, but not many people are set up for this. Check the connection for the Bank 2 pre-cat O2 sensor, just because it's simple. If that's good, then start looking at the possible vacuum leak sources in that area, including but not limited to the intake manifold gasket (these are usually fairly robust on the I6 motors).

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/23/18 9:34 a.m.

Just went ahead and ordered the bmw scanner 1.4 and round plug. Hopefully it will work on the car and my laptop. Lots of information on the internet, but not being a computer guy, it may be a struggle.  For $25 im willing to try.

All the codes were pulled with torque. Definately misfiring.

One possible vacuum leak ive found already is the hard plastic pipe off the silver can in the picture. Its been taped back together at some point. What is it? Front passengers side of tbe engine bay, seems to run forward.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/18 9:42 a.m.

IDK about that hose, but i would suggest looking for similar "gross" (versus "fine") vacuum leaks such as the hose from brake booster to intake manifold.   my E38 set simultaneous DTCs for multiple misfires, leans, o2 sensors, and vac leak one time, when the duct tape on the brake vacuum hose got gooey and uncovered the split in the hose.   twas a V8 car so not apples to apples, but still a valid thing to check.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/23/18 10:06 a.m.

Maybe this can help some.   Congrats on your new  ride.   I suspect you won't get as "involved" as the "Magic Mike" pickup.   Although I doubt it.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6524467

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/23/18 10:09 a.m.
02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
7/23/18 10:27 a.m.

That valve is for the air injection pump that runs at start-up to get the cats hot faster. The hose is a common failure point.

Also, if you're not already aware, two indispensable sources of information are https://www.realoem.com (for parts diagrams) and https://www.newtis.info (for repair instructions).

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/23/18 11:15 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I was not aware!!!

Thanks!

Again, totally new. Only German ive ever worked on was an air cooled beetle. So i have apparently dove into the deep end of the pool.

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
7/23/18 12:41 p.m.

I'd agree with most all of the above recommendations for parts/instructional sources, one thing worth noting if you can't find some DIY for the 528i check for the same DIY on a 328/330, they share the same M54 engine and save for very minor differences are all identical. 

The other thing, because I don't see it mentioned and you mentioned being new to BMW's, plan on a new waterpump and coolant expansion tank now, unless you have receipts of it being done from within the last 70k miles. BMW I6's treat cooling systems as wear items and it's an ounce of prevention vs warping/cracking the head. I usually tell any of my friends shopping for a new BMW to just factor in the cost of an ECS Level 2 cooling kit with the purchase price of the car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O1VyNvdeVLe0Eun0rLerH9fkU3kBNR1AsYJzPdaMxJJKSi3tFW4Nw6VvZkCtjSmV